Coefficient 0.9.5 released: Open Source Collaboration Platform

Discussions

News: Coefficient 0.9.5 released: Open Source Collaboration Platform

1. Coefficient is an open source project collaboration platform that runs in Tomcat or JBoss. This major release includes a totally revisited UI, a mailing list/forum module backed by Jakarta James, a "My Data" page, and much more.

Check out the demo of coefficient 0.9.5 here.

Login as username 'public', password 'public' and play around.

Coefficient's framework is based on innovative tools such as AspectJ, Hibernate, Velocity, and Castor.

The project page can be found here and it can be downloaded from here.

EDITOR'S NOTE
    TheServerSide.com does not support or promote software piracy.

Claims have been made against this product, and we strongly hope this isn't the case. If it is, we will not be able to post anything else about this project.

Threaded Messages (19)

2. Jira ??[ Go to top ]

Some stuff in the issue section are clearly copied from Atlassian's Jira.

The icons are taken directly from Jira, the layout of some screens are clearly copied.

I would like to hear comments from the Coefficient project owner on this.
  3. Jira ?? so what ?[ Go to top ]

The icons are taken directly from Jira

Indeed. But i do not see a big deal in it.
    If Attlassian will complain, icons can be easily replaced.
    the layout of some screens are clearly copied.

Luckily for all of us, such things as screen layouts are not considered plagiarism. Otherwise you would have 1 IDE and 1 word processor :))
  4. Jira ?? so what ?[ Go to top ]

Indeed. But i do not see a big deal in it.If Attlassian will complain, icons can be easily replaced.

chutz·pah (noun)

Utter nerve; effrontery: “has the chutzpah to claim a lock on God and morality” (New York Times).
  5. Jira ?? so what ?[ Go to top ]

theft
    Pronunciation: 'theft
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English thiefthe, from Old English thIefth; akin to Old English thEof thief
    1 a : the act of stealing; specifically : the felonious taking and removing of personal property with intent to deprive the rightful owner of it
    b : an unlawful taking (as by embezzlement or burglary) of property
    2 obsolete : something stolen
    3 : a stolen base in baseball
  6. Jira ?? so what ?[ Go to top ]

Indeed. But i do not see a big deal in it.

It remembers the recent topic Jboss vs. Apache ;-)

Dmitry
    http://www.servletsuite.com/
  7. Hmmmm. Hows your legal coverage?[ Go to top ]

Hmmmm! Hows your legal coverage?

The issue tracker module is a blatant copy of Jira.
    I have a sneaky feeling you might be contacted by Atlassian's legal team...

Html, icons, UI design, layout, help text, the lot. Its such a blatant stealing effort that in some cases, it has the same layout bugs Jira has under firefox - LOL.

While its one thing open source projects using ideas from commercial products (see eclipse and IntelliJ) its completely another to so obviously copy/steal the implementation.

Bladdy cheeky to say the least.

-Nick
  8. The lazy bastards just stole it.[ Go to top ]

These people have stolen work from a commercial product. Not the kind of, gee Jira is a great product lets imitate it. They have just blatantly ripped parts of it off, icons and all.

This is not just lazy, it is illegal. Who among you would not be up in arms if a commercial product blatantly stole from a GPL licensed project. This is just f#$&@ing bullshit.

Furthermore this isn't some giant monolith they are stealing from. It is a small innovative company that has long supported and contributed to countless open source projects. This project and the people behind it should be seen for the lazy hacks that they are.

Open source advocates rightly regard the license as a critical element of their offering. Anything less than outrage of blatant license infringement by open source projects such as this, is just plain hypocrisy.
  9. Pretty Poor[ Go to top ]

I've never used JIRA, but if they copied this

"There has been a system exception

net.sf.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: 108, of class: za.org.coefficient.statistics.data.ModuleStatistics
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.checkUniqueness(SessionImpl.java:1673)
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.doUpdateMutable(SessionImpl..."

Then I don't see the problem??? :-)
  10. Coefficient[ Go to top ]

Hmm just went to the demo site and got an exception on the issues part:
    -----------------Trace-------------
    There has been a system exception

net.sf.hibernate.NonUniqueObjectException: a different object with the same identifier value was already associated with the session: 108, of class: za.org.coefficient.statistics.data.ModuleStatistics
    at net.sf.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.checkUniqueness(SessionImpl.java:1673)

------------------------------------

Really i dont find anything watsoever exceptional in this coefficient from demo site , you could do better to sell your idea guys .People (potential users) can only see the front end not the back end . Put more emphasis on the packaging when selling a good software.
  11. I am terribly sorry about this. They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery and that is all we truly meant by imitating the JIRA issue tracker. When we decided to do an issue tracker we wanted to emulate what we felt was an excellent product and we all thought that was JIRA. We did have a graphic artist alter the icons to a degree but I can totally see how that is not enough.

I have removed the current release from sourceforge and I will re-release the latest version with the issue tracker removed as a short-term solution. We will then work to replace the icons as a first step, and then will try to change the layout before we re-release it. It is true that we copied layout, most html and the graphics from the JIRA product. Somehow we thought that being such an incomplete implementation with a different back-end made it O.K. but I totally see that it is not and am sorry.
  12. Even if I agree with comments on jira imitation (is it worth risking like this for some icons and a bit of html?) I have to say that coefficient is a really good product (I used 0.9 for a customer that needed a workflow driven collaboration system and I was also planning to adopt it internally for project management).

More than this - issue tracking is just one of the modules (not even the most important, I think). Basically I would decscribe coefficient as a workflow driven sourceforge (oh, no, now they are going to say that you stole from them, too!).

I hope this incident would not stop you from developing this good product. Removing the offending icons and html, of course ;)
  13. Icons and HTML[ Go to top ]

People talk here about the copying of Icons and some HTML.

That is not the point. For the functionalities that I saw, the Coefficient's issue module is a complete copy of Jira.

Please be creative.
  14. Icons and HTML[ Go to top ]

People talk here about the copying of Icons and some HTML.That is not the point. For the functionalities that I saw, the Coefficient's issue module is a complete copy of Jira.Please be creative.

I'd say, i'm completely fine with that approach. If you do not llike Coefficient - do not use it. If you like Jira - use it then. But please, stop telling other people what they should do and what they should not. Copying ideas and fucntionality is a GOOD THING, not bad.
  15. Stealing?[ Go to top ]

What is stolen if it is not licensed IP? Is the manner in which Jira breaks issues down unique to Jira? Issue tracking has always been a problem of software design and I am sure the ideas even Jira uses are recycled, if not borrowed from other tools. So, if Coefficient is not stealing IP, then they are not stealing. Besides, stealing is up to a court to decide and they don't decide if one party is right and one party is wrong; instead, they decide if one party should have damaged another party, and if so, what damages are owed to the party that was injured.

I think there is a professional point to knock Coefficient on and that was lack of creativity. But as they are going to show, the presentation layer is a small matter to change. The bigger issues are behind the screens.

Maybe a good idea would be to standardize the presentation and then either Jira or Coefficient could be plugged in to do the work. But then again, maybe not. After all, the app is the presentation layer.
  16. I think there is a professional point to knock Coefficient on and that was lack of creativity

What I'm trying to say is that Jira is an issue tracker - Coefficient is not! The issue tracker is a small module in a complex framework/application. It is just useful in cooperative developement, which is what coefficient is about.

And if you give it a try you would notice that the way they put all modules together and made them available through a workflow _IS_ creative.

Regards,
      R
  17. The coefficient development team has spent most of the last week re-writing from scratch the html, layout, and images of the issue tracker module. We have released this new version and have removed all copies of the original JIRA html and images from our CVS and binary repositories. We are very sorry about this whole situation and hope that you will take the time to check out our new look and feel for our issue tracker and coefficient in general.
  18. Is there any one out there who have successfully installed Co-Efficient using Oracle database? Coefficient website makes the following claim...

"The platform uses Hibernate to persist data objects that represent the persistent state of the system. Hibernate supports most popular databases that provide a JDBC driver. The system was developed using PostgreSQL, MySQL, and Oracle, so any of these databases have been tested and are available options when making the deployment decision."

I tried and was getting ORA-992 error because the name given for certain tables exceed the limit / restriction Oracle imposes. Can Co-Efficeient come forward and give their comment on how they tested using Oracle database? If they have not really tested, then please remove the above claim from the website since it is quite misleading.
  19. When coefficient was originally developed we had a developer using Oracle, one using mysql, and some others using postgres. For the last release we re-vamped the DB schema significantly and gave all the tables meaningful names. We did not regression test against oracle. We will post your issue in the documentation.
  20. Here you go ! That's what I meant when said "no big deal".
    :))