Discussions

Performance and scalability: combination of J2ME,CDC,JVMPI,PDA's and Profilers

1. combination of J2ME,CDC,JVMPI,PDA's and Profilers (4 messages)

Hi ALL performance gurus,

Tried to get answer for my questions , but could not get, thought that this forum might help me.I have many doubts , but will try to ask only few for the first time.

I was investigating about lot of profilers available in the market and ofcourse found many ,many of them.Ofcourse i want to develop my own feature-rich profiler into the market..hey no ...i want to develop a profiler for my specific functionalities of the project that i am working in.

My basic goal is to install a profiler on PDA'S that would be profiling the J2me applications running on my PDA.so this is my basic goal.

Keeping in mind about the system resources that are available on PDA,as you all know are very limited.as far i see i have two problems
    1.which technology should be used for actual profiling?
    2.what UI should be used for development of tool itself?

ofcourse i will decide in next wek about the UI that i will be going to use , but the major concern is the first question.

Going deep into this question, i want to know few things

1.before starting to develop my profiler , i would like to know whetehr there are any profilers that can be run on PDA?if so could you please tell me ? (becuase after that i can extend those with my project specific functionality)

2.I came across Jamon during my googling , I just wanted to know that whetehr this tool uses JVMPI for profiling (I think this doesnt use JVMPI,but wanted to get my doubt cleared)?Can this jamon be installed on PDA'S and profile the application
    running on them?

3.are there any profiling tools that are not using JVMPI for profiling?

4. what is adv of JVMPI based profilers with thier counterparts(i think JVMPI produces more accurate timing , is this only point or something else)? please give sugestion whether it would be good to a develop a JVMPI based one or a tools that doesnot depend on JVMPI?

5. finally would like to know where can i find good docs on this combination of words (J2ME,CDC,JVMPI,PDA,PROFILERS).ofcourse i googled but unfortunately could not find .

very sorry for long list of questions , but i am very new to this performance world.hope that you all can help me in this regard.

wiating for your valuable suggestions
    thank you
  2. Do you want to capture the profiling information from the PDA?

I mean, you could use any JVMPI profiler in a simulated environment (Well... at least I think so). A profiler gives you statistics about the application, not real data/online data.

Well... anyway, one idea you might want try/implement, is something I'm developing into JBossProfiler. To capture times by AOP. JBossProfiler (if you want to use it) could help you in process those log information, as I'm using log files there.

Probably you would have to develop the AOP interceptor for a PDA if you really want go through that way, but this would be less expensinve than develop a profiler alone.
  3. Do you want to capture the profiling information from the PDA?I mean, you could use any JVMPI profiler in a simulated environment (Well... at least I think so). A profiler gives you statistics about the application, not real data/online data.

Yeah, this is true; in my opinion, once you discover all the performance bottlenecks in any environment (for example, a simulated environment) and you fix them, then you can be sure that the application is going to run fine in the PDA.

Jose Ramon Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga
  4. hi clebert, jose

thank you for replying to my messages..nice to see your replies.

ok let us discuss about the replies

1. clebert told that emulator/simulator can be used for profiling. hmm unfortunately i am not well versed using these emulators.

how is emulator different from the acutal PDA environoment.does emulator have any special features.

if any jvmpi profiler can be used on emulator,why cant it be used on the PDA'S directly?

i.e, I install an emulator. i will install j2me and my application on emulator.now how can i profile with jvmpi based profiler..pelase let me know the starting point.

you were telling me about jboss profiler. this profiler itself will give the time of execution and etc.. concerned to the application? isnt it?
       where does AOP come into picture here? why are using AOP here when the profiler already provides the log information?

hey sorry if my questions are very silly..but hmm me not involved much with these..hope you can clear my doubts.

thank you
  5. 1. clebert told that emulator/simulator can be used for profiling. hmm unfortunately i am not well versed using these emulators.

how is emulator different from the acutal PDA environoment.does emulator have any special features.

if any jvmpi profiler can be used on emulator,why cant it be used on the PDA'S directly?

i.e, I install an emulator. i will install j2me and my application on emulator.now how can i profile with jvmpi based profiler..pelase let me know the starting point.

Basically when you put your application running in your environment, you can send options for the profiler dll, by setting -Xrun<yourProfilerDLL><yourProfilerOptions>.

I'm assuming you have your emulator running inside the JVM. I can't guarantee is going to work, but at least this is how it's supposed to work.
    A PDA is a very limited device, and I don't think it should have any profiler capabilities.
      you were telling me about jboss profiler. this profiler itself will give the time of execution and etc.. concerned to the application? isnt it?

Yes.... The profiler gives you information about times, graphs, dependencies between methods, and memory consumption as well the dependency between the memory release and memory creation. Not just because I wrote it, but because it's a good profiler! :-) (Just kidding... is a good one indeed)

where does AOP come into picture here? why are using AOP here when the profiler already provides the log information?

Well... by JVMTI (the new API name on Tiger) or JVMPI you a profiler uses it to capture events between method entry and exit, memory allocations and releases, GC events and other internal stuf from the JVM.

A AOP profiler would modify the bytecode to capture some events instead use a C++ dll.

Regards,

Clebert