CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3

Discussions

News: CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3

1. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3 (12 messages)

FireStorm/DAO Java code generator imports database schema definitions from SQL scripts or from live databases via JDBC and then generates a complete persistence tier based on the Data Access Object (DAO) design pattern. FireStorm/DAO can generate source code based on the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC), Java Data Object (JDO), and Enterprise JavaBean (EJB) specifications.

The new FireStorm/DAO release provides usability improvements and wider third-party product support:

• broader OS support, adding Mac OS X and Linux to existing Windows and Unix support

• increased database support, including Sybase, Ingres, and MS Access

• improved product packaging, including a full installer and better documentation

• better JSP Struts and J2EE code generation

A product tutorial with screenshots is available here:

http://www.codefutures.com/products/firestorm/tutorial/

FireStorm/DAO is available for free evaluation from:

http://www.codefutures.com/products/firestorm/download/

Threaded Messages (12)

2. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

Cool product. Well supported. However, I am still waiting for ejb CMR support. Is it included this version ?
  3. Firestorm/DAO 2.3 supports EJB CMP (as well as JDBC and JDO as Data Access Object generation options). EJB CMR is on the roadmap.

The roadmap also includes support for generating DAOs from Stored Procedures and generating Hiberate DAOs. Both of these features are available now as previews for FireStorm/DAO Architect Edition users.

/PJ

http://www.codefutures.com
  4. Foreign Keys[ Go to top ]

How does it handle entity relationships, and how does it handle composite primary- and foreign keys?
  5. Foreign Keys[ Go to top ]

How does it handle entity relationships, and how does it handle composite primary- and foreign keys?

FireStorm supports simple and composite keys and will reverse-engineer the definitions from the database. The exact support depends on the code generation target (e.g. JDBC, CMP or JDO) but the generated DAO classes will contain relevant finder methods to allow easy navigation by relationship e.g find orders by customer or get the customer for an order.

By default, DTO classes are created for each table and for each primary key e.g. there will typically be a Customer DTO and a CustomerPk DTO class.

But you can configure Firestorm/DAO Architect Edition to generate the code, including the relationships, to your specific requirements.

Cheers,

Andy.
  6. iBatis support[ Go to top ]

This may seem pointless, but is there any plan to generate code that uses iBatis SQL Maps?

I'm on a lightweight programming trip, and SQL Maps come in handy.

Sandeep
  7. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

Great product. We use CMP for persistance so having a tool that can generate the boring, labourious and error prone DAO layer is a BIG bonus.

The tool is easy to use and unlike other persistance mechanism actually generates Java code that is very readable and could, if necessary, be maintained outside of the tool if you ever decided to ditch it and find something better - not an easy task given how good it is.

The project file is XML which makes it easy to use in a CVS based multi-developer environment where everyone wants to work on the project at the same time - no IBM like repositories to manage.

Sounds like I'm on commision but I recommend it highly, great Xmas gift for all the family.
  8. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

Hi David
    We use CMP for persistance so having a tool that can generate the boring, labourious and error prone DAO layer is a BIG bonus.

Do you see specific benefits in using CMP? Of course there may be no choice in the matter for your particular situation, but there are persistence solutions which do not reuqire boring, laborious and error-prone coding.

Kind regards, Robin.
  9. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

I have used Firestorm on several projects and it is a real time saver, generating the same sort of code in minutes it would take weeks to hand craft and debug. Also generated a good starting point for my STRUTS presentation layer.

Well worth a look!!
  10. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

Just my 2 cents: I'm evaluating Firestorm and am quite impressed by the code generation. It looks almost identical to my hand written code, but it took about 5 seconds to generate it. I wish I'd have found Firestorm 6 months ago.
  11. CodeFutures Ships FireStorm/DAO 2.3[ Go to top ]

We've used Firestorm/DAO with great success in projects. We got great technical support too.

James Burrage, gcbsolutions.com
  12. It can generate pure JDBC based codes for DAO pattern. Please have a try if you have interests.

http://www.websamba.com/dao4j/
  13. Firestorm[ Go to top ]

Firestorm is a very competent DAO package with good tools support. It takes much of the work out of managing a persistence layer and is still easy and quick to use.

I have used these tools on various developments and have always found them to be capable.

New features such as Struts app generation are looking to become promising additions.