Gentleware releases Poseidon for UML 3.0

Discussions

News: Gentleware releases Poseidon for UML 3.0

1. Gentleware releases Poseidon for UML 3.0 (25 messages)

The new product release comes timely to coincide with Gentleware's 4th Anniversary.

What is even more exciting is that previously disabled features are now found in their Community Edition, as extracted from their change logs:

- full printing capabilities
    - source import
    - full saving capabilities
    - full undo/redo
    - copy to Windows clipboard
    - no more graphics export watermark

However, do note that printouts and graphics exports exhibit the text 'not for commercial use' at the bottom.

For full details, please click here.

Threaded Messages (25)

2. Gentleware releases Poseidon for UML 3.0[ Go to top ]

The new product release comes timely to coincide with Gentleware's 4th Anniversary.What is even more exciting is that previously disabled features are now found in their Community Edition, as extracted from their change logs:- full printing capabilities- source import- full saving capabilities- full undo/redo- copy to Windows clipboard- no more graphics export watermarkHowever, do note that printouts and graphics exports exhibit the text 'not for commercial use' at the bottom.For full details, please click here.

Good to hear that source import is back to the community :-)). Did the downloads go down that bad so you included that into the community edition ? :-)
  3. CE license[ Go to top ]

The license for 3.0 CE specifically says "for non commercial use".

I do not recall seeing that before.

Is that a change ?

And if yes - should it have been emphasized a little
    stronger ?
  4. CE license[ Go to top ]

Previous versions were specified to be for non commercial use, no news there.
    As a footnote, I think we must stop asking for free, fully functional tools from every vendor out there. They're running businesses, not charity. If we all worked for free, all of us would soon be out of business. Poseidon CE is quite good... although I DID miss source import in previous versions ;)
    Anyway, we have plenty of open source, free tools available.

Regards,
    Martin
  5. Not so[ Go to top ]

According to the gentleman from Gentleware AG, then I am
    rigth and the license has indeed been changed.
  6. I think you misread me[ Go to top ]

I am not asking for everything free.

I am just asking for that the license conditions is
    easily available before you download and install.
  7. I think you misread me[ Go to top ]

I am not asking for everything free.I am just asking for that the license conditions iseasily available before you download and install.

+1, then. Still, it's not that bad, is it? I guess you only lose 10 minutes of your life by downloading the software, right?
  8. CE license[ Go to top ]

Hi Arne,

Yes, we have changed the license with version 3.0 to restrict the usage of the CE to non commercial usages. When you start the CE the first, a dialog shows the full license text, so i don't understand your complain.

Regards,
    Matthias Köster, Gentleware AG
  9. Too late[ Go to top ]

I think that after downloading new version, uninstalling old
    version and installing new version is a bit late to tell
    about the license change.

A note on the download page would have been nice.
  10. Dont think source import is in!![ Go to top ]

The change log might be misleading. It says "Java import/code generation does not overwrite imported file header texts" - whereas the Compare Editions page explicitly shows that the free community edition just has Java Forward Engineering (read that as code generation), the standard edition has Java Reverse Engineering (read that as ability to import code) and Professional edition upwards offer the Java Round-Trip Engineering (which is what you need)
  11. Source Import is in the CE![ Go to top ]

Hi Mohan,

Looks like we forgot to update the edition comparison table on our website... In fact Java source import is included in the CE as we said in our announcement! We will update our website as soon as possible.

Thanks for the hint,
    Have fun with the CE,

12. UML wishlist[ Go to top ]

Could I import an EAR into a UML tool and have it create the entire UML model : this could help in cutting down developer learning curve when new developsr join.

Also, something that breaks down an ear into MVC like absraction view : e.g sequences from any JSP page to all actions to all domain layers calls. That would be sweet.
  13. EAR import[ Go to top ]

Hi,
    Could I import an EAR into a UML tool and have it create the entire UML model : this could help in cutting down developer learning curve when new developsr join.

The Professional edition of Poseidon includes the ability to generate UML models from a jar file. You can get an evaluation license from our website www.gentleware.com.
    Also, something that breaks down an ear into MVC like absraction view : e.g sequences from any JSP page to all actions to all domain layers calls. That would be sweet.

That's a nice idea, but currently we haven't developed such a plugin! But you can write your own plugin for Poseidon, you can find more information in the developer section of our website.

Regards,
  14. its missing a good UML plugin.
  15. Have you ever tried EclipseUML?
  16. Hi,

The Professional edition of Poseidon 3.0 can be used as an eclipse plugin. With it you can roundtrip your eclipse source code. For an introduction you can watch the viewlets on our website or try it yourself, we offer evaluation licenses on our website.

Regards,
  17. How about a NetBeans plugin?[ Go to top ]

In the past Poseidon was based on NetBeans and it was a NetBeans plugin as well. Is this still the case, if not are you planning to support NetBeans?

Iwan
  18. How about a NetBeans plugin?[ Go to top ]

Hi Iwan,

we stopped support Netbeans i think with version 1.5. Currently we don't plan to support it again, mainly because most of our customers use eclipse.

Regards,
  19. Has the DataModelling component improved in this new edition. I didn't think it compared very well with Enterprise Architect from Sparx Systems previously.
  20. Hi Peter,

What do you mean with DataModelling component? Entity-Relationship diagrams? Poseidon is a pure UML CASE tool and doesn't support other modeling languages.

Regards,
  21. Gentleware releases Poseidon for UML 3.0[ Go to top ]

When attempting to use both Poseiden and Enterprise Architect for MDA style development, I was less than enthusiastic. In a typical IDE, like IntelliJ, you can create classes, variables, methods, etc very quickly w/ shortcuts and code completion.

In my experience, even creating a simple DTO was incredibly painful using Poseiden (disclaimer: it was the previous version). Just adding an attribute to a class meant I had to point/click on everything including: starting the add attribute process (i.e. opening a dialog window), selecting the data type, selecting scope, etc. In the time it took me to add a single attribute, I could've created the entire DTO class w/ getters/setters.

Without having downloaded the 3.0 version, I believe that UMLing tools need to take a page out of IDE's books (hopefully Intellij's book) and enable customizable shortcuts to allow developers to develop quickly and easily in the manner they're accustomed.
  22. Hi John,

thanks for your feedback. Poseidon 3.0 still lacks support for keyboard shortcuts. The main focus always was to have an easy to learn UML case tool, but i completely agree that shortcuts will make the usage of Poseidon more effective for experienced users. I will add this feature to our feature wishlist.

Regards,
  23. does the eclipse plugin work with 2.6 as well?
    I got 2.6 about a month ago (and got ripped off since you put out 3.0 just now)

please let me know
  24. Hi Jason,

The eclipse plugin is part of the Poseidon 3.0 release and cannot be used with version 2.6.

Regards,
  25. Matthias,

Does Poseidon support reading of Rose MDL/PTL files? Or must one convert a Rose file into a standard XMI format?

Regards,
    David Thomas
  26. Poseidon for UML 3.0[ Go to top ]

What has happened to Gentleware, I have been trying to register Poseidon for UML 3.0, but cannot connect to their site?