Discussions

General J2EE: Threading problems in jboss 3.0.8

1. Threading problems in jboss 3.0.8 (3 messages)

Hi,

I'm experiencing some threading problems in my production environment. After some time of execution my production jboss generates a Thread consuming 99,9% of the CPU. The other three processors are 100% idle while this thread is running.

My environment:

Red Hat Enterprise 3.0
    Jboss 3.0.8
    Postgresql 7.3
    j2sdk1.4.2_05 (sun jvm)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Threading problems in jboss 3.0.8[ Go to top ]

Hi Rafael,

I guess the question is "What is that thread doing when it consumes 99.9% of that CPU?". If you ctrl-break the server you will get a server stack dump. And if you look through the threads you might be able to identify the particular thread and by looking at the call stack you will know what is going on.

Mike
  3. Threading problems in jboss 3.0.8[ Go to top ]

Hello Mike,

I' got he thread dump and for my surprise, the "problematic" thread was the JVM GC Thread. I've tried the -Xincgc flag but have no success. Have you ever experienced situation like that?

Thank you!!!

Regards,
    Rafael

PS.: When this thread begin to consume CPU the application performance decrease very much.
  4. Threading problems in jboss 3.0.8[ Go to top ]

Please take a look at -
    http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc/

You need to observe the garbage collection pattern of your application using the -verbose:gc option of the JVM. Based on the output you would want to size the generations.

Regards,
    Ashutosh