ActiveMQ 1.3 released: supports Geronimo, Spring and JBoss

Discussions

News: ActiveMQ 1.3 released: supports Geronimo, Spring and JBoss

1. The new version of ActiveMQ, the open source high performance message broker and JMS implementation, has just been released. This release adds support for JBoss 4 in addition to Geronimo and Spring as well as a bunch of new features like a new peer to peer transport layer and support for Spring based message driven POJOs.

New features in this release include

* support for JBoss 4 in addition to Geronimo and Spring. Thanks to J2EE 1.4, ActiveMQ should drop right into any certified container.

* a new improved 'peer' transport for creating a pure and reliable peer to peer JMS network with no single point of failure together with full persistence, transaction, XA, clustering and recovery support.

* a lightweight Spring based JCA container for implementing message driven POJOs which are logically like MDBs but which don't require an EJB container and use Spring to dependency inject the POJOs with whatever they require and to perform pooling etc. We support XA, JMS transactions and JMS acknowledgement models.

* a new 'remote' transport for more optimal clustering and support of remote queues and topics.

For more details either download the release or view the changelog.

For more details please see the home page or the FAQ
  2. congrats to james[ Go to top ]

activeMQ is really coming along. thanks for all the hard work.
  3. congrats to james[ Go to top ]

activeMQ is really coming along. thanks for all the hard work.

Thanks Peter!

I'm on the road at the moment but tomorrow I'm hoping to finally take a good luck at the JMS testing work you've been doing on JMeter which looks cool.

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source
  4. The new version of ActiveMQ, the open source high performance message broker and JMS implementation, has just been released.

Congratulations!
    This release adds support for JBoss 4 in addition to Geronimo and Spring as well as a bunch of new features like a new peer to peer transport layer and support for Spring based message driven POJOs. [...] Thanks to J2EE 1.4, ActiveMQ should drop right into any certified container.

Hmm. This means ActiveMQ should drop right into JOnAS' container :) ?
  5. The new version of ActiveMQ, the open source high performance message broker and JMS implementation, has just been released.
    Congratulations!
    This release adds support for JBoss 4 in addition to Geronimo and Spring as well as a bunch of new features like a new peer to peer transport layer and support for Spring based message driven POJOs. [...] Thanks to J2EE 1.4, ActiveMQ should drop right into any certified container.
    Hmm. This means ActiveMQ should drop right into JOnAS' container :) ?

It should do - afterall thats one of the core features of J2EE 1.4 for JMS portability among containers. Wanna try dropping the RAR inside JOnaS and seeing if it works? Fingers crossed :)

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source
  6. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a certain threshold of message volume or complexity we'd have to cross over to make implementing ActiveMQ worthwhile rather than using built in JBoss JMS? It seems like a terrific product, I just couldn't understand from the website at what point we should consider using it. Also, we still run JBoss 3.0.6. Does ActiveMQ support this version of JBoss?
  7. Pardon my ignorance, but is there a certain threshold of message volume or complexity we'd have to cross over to make implementing ActiveMQ worthwhile rather than using built in JBoss JMS? It seems like a terrific product, I just couldn't understand from the website at what point we should consider using it.

Good question. Like many things in IT, it depends on what you need. If you're volumes are low or you're happy with a fairly simple topology and don't need any advanced features like reconnection, clustering, peer networking, distributed queues/topics, pluggable transports or high performance then by all means stick with JBossMQ.
    Also, we still run JBoss 3.0.6. Does ActiveMQ support this version of JBoss?

Not yet :). We're implementing J2EE 1.4 right now which means its JBoss 4 onwards. It should work inside JBoss 3.x, it just requires some engineering effort to wire it in which we haven't done yet. From J2EE 1.4 onwards, JMS providers should just drop right into any J2EE 1.4 container - before 1.4 it takes some container specific plugins to get things to work.

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source
  8. Message Driven POJOs[ Go to top ]

I'm interested in the message driven pojos you mentioned... Does the JCA container require running in a full J2EE stack? How is it easier than just having MDBs?
  9. Message Driven POJOs[ Go to top ]

I'm interested in the message driven pojos you mentioned... Does the JCA container require running in a full J2EE stack?

Not at all. The JCA container is a small jar that just depends on Spring and the JMS / JCA interfaces. So its really small & lightweight, very easy to embed in anything (Tomcat, etc).
    How is it easier than just having MDBs?

Firstly there's no need for an EJB container - Spring is the container. Secondly the POJOs are just POJOs which implement MessageListener; no need for the MessageDrivenBeen stuff & EJBContex so you can use dependency injection to setup the POJOs rather than looking things up in EJB context.

Finally, since its all just lightweight Spring stuff, if you need to dynamically create sets of message driven POJOs at run time you can quite easily - whereas in MDBs to do that kind of thing requires the code generation of EARs etc.

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source
  10. Well done![ Go to top ]

Nice one James!

Looks like the sudden interest in ActiveMQ just took the CodeHaus server down, it seems to be up again now though.

I recently wrote ActiveMQ into Learning Tree's distributed Java Course (472) so anyone going on that course will now be using ActiveMQ for the JMS chapters. This was an important step, ActiveMQ is now a very viable choice for serious messaging.

Keep up the good work,

-John-
  11. Well done![ Go to top ]

Nice one James!Looks like the sudden interest in ActiveMQ just took the CodeHaus server down, it seems to be up again now though.
    :)
    I recently wrote ActiveMQ into Learning Tree's distributed Java Course (472) so anyone going on that course will now be using ActiveMQ for the JMS chapters. This was an important step, ActiveMQ is now a very viable choice for serious messaging.Keep up the good work,-John-

Cool beans! Thanks John.

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source
  12. A couple of questions:
    1) Does ActiveMQ support persistent topics and messages? OpenJMS supports this pretty well, which is why I use it (note that JBossMQ does NOT support this well, at least not over JDBC; good luck trying to figure it out).
    2) How would you go about embedding it in, say, a Tomcat installation? I have a need for a simple installation for a product I've worked on, and I can kind of get OpenJMS running from within Tomcat but I don't think it's fully documented or supported. How would I do this in ActiveMQ?

Thanks,

Drew
  13. I think the answers to both of your quesions are on the activemq site, see http://activemq.codehaus.org/Persistence and http://activemq.codehaus.org/Tomcat.

Its good to see that James et al are managing to keep the documentation up to date with the rapid development. The active* projects are progressing very quickly and they contain a wealth of tools for developers, the developers deserve a lot of credit for an excellent contribution to the community. I'm especially looking foward to getting the time to experiment with activespaces as the fabric for a distributed hibernate cache.
  14. A couple of questions:1) Does ActiveMQ support persistent topics and messages?

Absolutely. We support fully persistent messaging using raw JDBC, Berkely DB or JDBM. Plus we've a high performance transaction log you can use for short term storage which we then checkpoint to a long term storage (such as JDBC) in a batch mode to increase throughput & performance.
    OpenJMS supports this pretty well, which is why I use it (note that JBossMQ does NOT support this well, at least not over JDBC; good luck trying to figure it out).2) How would you go about embedding it in, say, a Tomcat installation? I have a need for a simple installation for a product I've worked on, and I can kind of get OpenJMS running from within Tomcat but I don't think it's fully documented or supported. How would I do this in ActiveMQ?Thanks,Drew

See analog boy's reply for the links. Also if you find yourself wanting something like MDBs inside a Servlet engine then try out the lightweight message driven pojos; it just requires Spring and can work in any JVM / servlet engine...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/JCA+Container

James
    Protique
    Enteprise Open Source