Discussions

News: BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 Beta released

1. BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 Beta released (25 messages)

From http://bea.com/diablo/index.html:

We’re pleased to let you know that the beta version of BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 (code-named Diablo) is available for free download — right now.

This is the most powerful, reliable release yet of the world’s leading J2EE application server – and the ideal foundation for building Service-Orientated Architectures. The Diablo beta is compliant with J2EE 1.4 specs and further extends the latest standards to deliver unparalleled quality-of-service across the enterprise.

The advances include:

* A new extensible portal administration console, complete with a diagnostics framework and scripting shell tools that let administrators identify and resolve issues in real time.
        * Enterprise Web services, including reliable messaging to support true asynchronous conversational applications.
        * Greatly enhanced performance messaging, with enterprise-grade store-and-forward and unit-of-order features.
        * Superior reliability and availability, including cluster-to-cluster failover both within a data center and across geographically disparate locations.

Download the beta at: http://commerce.bea.com/index.jsp

Threaded Messages (25)

2. *
  3. No, Diablo is WebLogic Server, the app server. It uses some of the portal framework in the new admin console to give users new task based, personalized views. Portal and Integraiton to follow.

Eric
    BEA Systems
  4. Then...[ Go to top ]

is the end game to unify all admin consoles? I guess that would make sense...
  5. When Platform 9.0?[ Go to top ]

When first public beta of complete Platform 9.0 is to be expected?

Thanks
  6. fyi

Websphere Application Server 6.0 - trial download

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/downloads/WASsupport.html
  7. Please, WebLogic interested folks would never comsider this WebsFear silly puddy...
  8. Cool! Does Websphere come wth a week of Global Services consulting to install it too.
  9. Gimme a break![ Go to top ]

IBM WebSphere is pretty easy to install...it's the Portal you gotta watch out for! ;o)
  10. Gimme a break![ Go to top ]

It's the usage of WebSphere that is a major pain.
    It's a slow behemmoth. But it is said to be reliable once it started.

Anyway this is a WebLogic topic...
  11. Websphere Application certainly *is* a trial...
    Very few people live to tell... (or wished they didnt)
  12. BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 Beta released[ Go to top ]

Why is the phone number mandatory field for download?
  13. Linux version?[ Go to top ]

Any info on Weblogic Server 9.0 Beta for Linux release plan?

Regards.

Ignacio.
  14. Linux version?[ Go to top ]

This (planned release date for Linux beta) would be my no. 1 question too...
    I know only few people are using non-Windows OSs out there for desktops, but I guess the percentage of Linux (Unix) desktops among developers is a lot higher than average. So wouldn't it be in BEAs best interest to deliver a Linux beta? And then, its a beta, so there _will_ be bugs, so "not thoroughly QAd" isn't the main issue and thus... its a Java application, right? So it shouldn't be too difficult to release a Linux (Unix) beta; many people will thank you and try/use it I think.

regards,

Messi
  15. Linux version?[ Go to top ]

The Linux kit is available under the managed beta program and will probably be available as part of beta 2 sometime next year. There are no particular product issues with Linux - we run and test regularly on linux - but every extra supported platform imposes its own set of costs and there has to be a cutoff somewhere.
  16. Portal Admin Console[ Go to top ]

To answer the question at the top of the thread...

When we ship Platform 9.0 (WebLogic Server, Portal, Integration and Workshop) the user experience of each console will be targetted where appropriate for users of each product. They will share a similar look-and-feel, are all based on the portal framework and have cross-links. However, they are still seen as different consoles since they target different types of users.
  17. Does it works with JDK 5.0 (Tiger)??[ Go to top ]

I would like to know if Weblogic 9.0 is compatible with JDK 5.0? If not, when is BEA planning to release a version compatible with JDK 5.0?

Thanks,
    Amit Chhajed
  18. Wls9Beta ships with JDK5.0[ Go to top ]

yes. Weblogic9 Beta ships JDK5.0:

java version "1.5.0"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode)
  19. Does it works with JDK 5.0 (Tiger)??[ Go to top ]

Thanks Kumar!!!
  20. true asynchronous conversational[ Go to top ]

* Enterprise Web services, including reliable messaging to support true asynchronous conversational applications.

Any idea how they plan to achieve this. Briefly...?

Thanks,
    Sivaram Anantuni
  21. true asynchronous conversational[ Go to top ]

* Enterprise Web services, including reliable messaging to support true asynchronous conversational applications.Any idea how they plan to achieve this. Briefly...?

The messaging backbone in WLS 9 has been enhanced with store-and-forward so that it can do reliable messaging over an unreliable network or with unreliable messaging peers. You can use this for JMS messages as well as Web Services. For Web Services, WLS implements the WS-ReliableMessaging and WS-Addressing standard that allows you to set up asynchronous reliable messaging channels with other servers that implement the same protocols.

There is a series of 4 one-hour Webinar recordings on our dev2dev site:
    http://dev2dev.bea.com/trainingevents/webinars/wls90preview_092704.jsp

Part 2 and 3 relate to this topic.

Also check the beta documentation:, on JMS and
    Web Services.
  22. BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 Beta released[ Go to top ]

I'm just curious, why the BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 was code-named Diablo?

Valos
  23. I'm just curious, why the BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 was code-named Diablo?

That way, when the dev managers asked what they were doing, they could honestly say "uh .. just playing with Diablo .."

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  24. Yes...that could be a good explanation...:-)

Now, seriously, could anybody from BEA give us an answer?

Valos
  25. BEA WebLogic Server 9.0 Beta released[ Go to top ]

The code-names were based on mountains , I believe:
    http://www.worldfromtheweb.com/Parks/Diablo/Diablo.html
  26. Code Names[ Go to top ]

Correct, the code names for all of the WebLogic Server releases over the years have been named after national parks- Olympic, Haleakala, Diablo...

Eric
    BEA Systems