Jakarta announces Jakarta Slide Release 2.1

Discussions

News: Jakarta announces Jakarta Slide Release 2.1

1. Jakarta announces Jakarta Slide Release 2.1 (11 messages)

The Jakarta Slide community is pleased to announce the release of Jakarta Slide 2.1. This is a combined bug fix and feature release. Slide 2.1 adds transactions spanning multiple requests and extends WebDAV methods to control external transactions.

You can download Jakarta Slide 2.1 from:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/download.html

Release notes are at:
    http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-slide/RELEASE-NOTES-2.1?rev=1.1.2.1

The Jakarta Slide project page is:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/slide

Threaded Messages (11)

2. What is Slide?[ Go to top ]

Slide contains
    - a content repository supporting WebDAV,
    - a WebDAV testsuite, and
    - a basic WebDAV client
  3. please,a basic integration tutorial[ Go to top ]

i really like its capabilities , but i need a simple tutorial on how to integrate it
    it seems that it has a simple package for integration called webdav construction kit,but it is in svn repositpry only(no official release ),that make it seems like it is unstable(i am not sure) plus it is not well documented either
  4. please,a basic integration tutorial[ Go to top ]

webdav construction kit (...) is in svn repositpry only(no official release ),that make it seems like it is unstable

It is pretty stable and will be part of the next release.
    webdav construction kit (...) is not well documented either

Hmmm, is it really not well documented? There is this page with a lot of links to the Wiki:

http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/wck.html

Additionally, there is a simple reference implementation that lets Slide store to the file system.
  5. what is the jdbc store?[ Go to top ]

is it a complete store implementation,i.e. can i use it for store and query files and webdav meta data of that file or it just a store of some attributes that may used by slide or its component? is it an alternative to the filestore refernce implementation or complement to it
    is derby supported as the DBMS
    anf if it is a complete impl... what about the performance compared to the fileStore
    thanks a lot
    joe
  6. what is the jdbc store?[ Go to top ]

is it a complete store implementation,i.e. can i use it for store and query files and webdav meta data of that file or it just a store of some attributes that may used by slide or its component? is it an alternative to the filestore refernce implementation or complement to itis derby supported as the DBMSanf if it is a complete impl... what about the performance compared to the fileStorethanks a lotjoe

These are the sorts of questions you should ask in the Slide mailing lists.

Oliver
  7. JCA,another good feature[ Go to top ]

another good feature in slide is the availability of a quality JCA connector which means its ability to connect and communicate into J2EE in a standard way
  8. JCA,another good feature[ Go to top ]

another good feature in slide is the availability of a quality JCA connector which means its ability to connect and communicate into J2EE in a standard way

Yes, there is JCA connector allowing WebDAV client requests to be part of a distributed transaction. Slide took over an MS specific WebDAV extension allowing for external transaction control.

The JCA connector has been developed and AFAIK tested with JBoss only.
  9. what about cocoon integration?[ Go to top ]

can slide b used as a content repository for cocoon based data store to manage versioning and security?
    i think it will b fantastic to see features slide and forrest combined
    and if this is possible in theory ,please point me to the begin point as i am really interested in implement this
    thanks in advance
    joe
  10. what about cocoon integration?[ Go to top ]

can slide b used as a content repository for cocoon based data store to manage versioning and security?i think it will b fantastic to see features slide and forrest combinedand if this is possible in theory ,please point me to the begin point as i am really interested in implement thisthanks in advancejoe

AFAIK there already is something simliar in the cocoon project.

Oliver
  11. I'm still a little confused at to what exactly slide is.
    Given the blurb about it being a "CMS framework", can Slide be used as a high level database or is it more oriented towards building a fileserver type application ? What about just providing publishing management tools for something like a news /community portal ?
    It does versioning, but is this applicable to both binary & text files ? what about metadata versioning ?
  12. Given the blurb about it being a "CMS framework", can Slide be used as a high level database or is it more oriented towards building a fileserver type application?

In this sense it is a content database.
    It does versioning, but is this applicable to both binary & text files ? what about metadata versioning ?

Both content and metadata is versioned. Currently, there is no difference between binary and text content. This means full versions, no diffs are stored.