Design HowTo

Discussions

EJB design: Design HowTo

1. Design HowTo (11 messages)

Hi I would like to know if this is the apt place to ask a question related to analysis and design of solutions. I want to know what the best method of analsysis and design of a solution using UML is?
    Lets please not go into XP and stuff. I need the answer to be quick and dirty.(Assume that even requirements can change over a period of start from initiation of implementation).In short, the solution via UML must be scalable enuff and flexible in order to accept new requirements .What are the steps to go thru a total Analysis and Design phase?

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

IMO it is RUP.

It is more flexible than the waterfall, but less chaotic than the XP.
  3. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

IMO it is RUP.It is more flexible than the waterfall, but less chaotic than the XP.
    Hi Damian,
    doesn't using RUP tie you down with a modelling tool. I want to be able to model with out a tool. So that I can create my class diagrams and collaborative diagrams and get to code. The modeling should have to be done by means of plain paper and pencil sort of modelling the solution.
    thanx
    Nidhin.
  4. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

You are right. I wanted to write: "UP"

This book was recommended to me:

"Applying UML and patterns" from "Craig Larman"

And this book is mainly about UP.
  5. You may take a look at Agile Alliance website for more information about agile processes.

http://www.agilealliance.org

What steps are you cerrently doing? Because the software development process is iterative, it's hard to give you step 1 2 3. If you tell us more about your process, maybe we could suggest some key process area which could be improved or best practice to handle such a problem.

Surapong K.
    Mfatix Company Limited
    http://www.mfatix.com
  6. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

Just a question:

Are u looking for a solution for analysing/designing J2EE application ?

Namik
  7. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

Just a question:Are u looking for a solution for analysing/designing J2EE application ?Namik
    No not exactly looking for a solution to analyze and design J2EE applications. Want to know if the iterative model is the best method to analyze and design a J2EE application that is scalable?
    In the case of a fictitious project lets say that we have only requirements with us.
    1. What are the UML diagrams that we would use to get to the solution?
    2. What are the sequence of these deliverables that would be required for a thorough analysis of the problem and subsequent solution?
    These steps are what Im asking for.
    I dont need products or solutions to analysis and design.
    Just need to know what you wud do, in case of a plain paper and pencil sort of analysis and design of a problem, given the requirements.
    Thank you,
    Nidhin.
  8. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

2. What are the sequence of these deliverables that would be required for a thorough analysis of the problem and subsequent solution?

boy did we ever knew that users always need atleast something that would let them run their day to day activities! go figure
  9. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

I can see the next question coming up so clearly: what is the stuff required to build a robust solution for this problem that I'm facing today? I don't want to go into details, just an overview and sequence of tasks will do
  10. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

Hi again

"... in case of a plain paper and pencil sort of analysis and design of a problem, given the requirements."

requires / initiates a very long discussion. I think it's better to norrow the scope

good luck :)
  11. Design HowTo[ Go to top ]

Here is one scalable approach...
    I've tried this for several projects of varying size and complexity.

1. Capture process model so your off-site Analysts can start here.
    2. PM is Often useful for getting the stakeholders to be on the same page as regards the business process. (Variation in business process may have direct impact on certain aspects of system behaviour. For instance Workflow)
    3. [So far we are not talking about the solution.]
    4. Define the business requirements.
    4. [Defining the solution starts here] Represent the user requirement using Use Cases. Prototyping may take place as a parallel activity.
    5. Get a sign off on the Use Cases and the Prototype.
    6. Analysis model [Sparx Systems taught me this] helps document the reasoning behind a solution.
    7. Determine high level architecture, represent the architecture using a component model and other UML based artifacts like network blueprint, infrastructure, etc.
    8. Compile the Domain model.
    9. Determine low level architecture. Whether to use domain based objects for fulfilling use cases or service based design.
    10. Represent realization of use cases by the classes and other design elements etc. using sequence diagram or collaboration diagram.
    11. Use state transition diagrams to model stateful entities.
  12. Design HowTo (2)[ Go to top ]

12. Use activity diagrams and sequence diagrams to elaborate system behavior.
    13. Transalate use cases into test cases.
    14. Id UML artifacts for traceability.
    15. Establish traceability matrix.
    Let me know if you need more help.

-EJayBee
    Praxis Strategies LLC.