Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List

Discussions

News: Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List

1. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List (50 messages)

In the geek culture, Cameron Purdy's top ten list could get more views that Dave Lettermans. This year he has fun with the juxtaposition of quoting the obvious, knowing that even so people will argue against.
    Why not? Without further ado, here are my predictions on those parts of the technology industry that I am supposed to know something about:

10 - Sun will not turn Java over to the Free Software Foundation, despite the best attempts being made by Jonathan Schwartz. However, this will not prevent Sun from talking about how open sourcey the Solaris OS is. Or will be. Some day. Maybe.

9 - IBM will find ways to sell more services. Another stretch, but have you noticed that IBM has a consultancy that's doing pretty well? This whole IBM Global Services thing really has potential, and I'm expecting it to really do well this year.

8 - Computer chips will get faster and cheaper. This one is tough to prove, but I've started to notice a trend with hardware over the past twenty years.

7 - XML standards will more than compensate for faster and cheaper hardware. Thanks to Tim Bray, the hardware designers will remain employed well into FY-2006, and maybe beyond. Next up: XML Bitmap Image (XBI). Or maybe XML Audio Stream (XAS).

6 - EJBs will get panned. Yup, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that pundits all over J2EE blogsville will pan EJBs for being (a) slow, (b) complicated, (c) expensive, (d) hard to use, or (e) some combination thereof. <strike>Microsoft</strike> Forrester will release a study quoting said bloggers.

5 - .NET will not just shrivel up and go away. You heard it here first, folks: Microsoft is not going to admit in the year 2005 that .NET is a total failure that needs to be completely and immediately abandoned. Not until 2006, when they have a new idea to replace it with, anyway.

4 - A computer worm from somewhere in Asia will wreak havoc on SQL Server, Windows, and/or IIS, and despite the obviousness of it, no one will question WTF people are doing deploying unpatched Windows boxes running SQL Server outside of firewalls.

3 - During 2005, Hani will manage to post at least three Bile Blog entries, at least two of which will be posted from drunken group bile sessions at the TSS Symposium. Yes, while some people are spreading rumors about the demise of the Bile Blogger, I happen to know that he is still alive and capable of writing, albeit at a much slower pace now that he is in a nursing home.

2 - During 2005, Ted Neward will manage to post no fewer than seventy blog entries touting some book he wrote, which is apparently listed at Amazon, has some uber rating that is so good that it is almost a negative number, and gets comments from other famous people that want to see their names on his blog.

And a drum roll, please ..

1 - At the 2005 TSS Symposium, Rod Johnson will not be able to resist saying the word "Spring." Yup, it's like trying not to think of pink elephants -- impossible once you get that in your head. Spring, spring, spring, spring. La tee dah, spring spring spring. Take that, Linda. Spring-diddy-spring spring. Spring.

Read Cameron Purdy's Top Ten List, and make sure you come to the TSS Symposium to check out these happenings and see if Cameron is right! ;)

Threaded Messages (50)

2. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

#11: There will NOT be a new spec for EJB, not until 2006, which of course, will change everything all over again, but still *retain* the idea of an Entity and Session beans - all for a good cause!
  3. TSS should stop aggregating blog entries[ Go to top ]

As much as we love Cameron, I think TSS needs to stop aggregating blog entries. Come on, anyone can sign up for Cameron's RSS feed, or just visit javablogs.com now and then if they're interested in this kind of thing.

It would be another thing if Cameron posted, and a few days later that entry generated enough momentum in the community to deserve a mention outside it's own blog. That, definetily, is not the case for this post.
  4. As much as we love Cameron, I think TSS needs to stop aggregating blog entries. Come on, anyone can sign up for Cameron's RSS feed, or just visit javablogs.com now and then if they're interested in this kind of thing.It would be another thing if Cameron posted, and a few days later that entry generated enough momentum in the community to deserve a mention outside it's own blog. That, definetily, is not the case for this post.

+1.
  5. As much as we love Cameron, I think TSS needs to stop aggregating blog entries. Come on, anyone can sign up for Cameron's RSS feed, or just visit javablogs.com now and then if they're interested in this kind of thing.It would be another thing if Cameron posted, and a few days later that entry generated enough momentum in the community to deserve a mention outside it's own blog. That, definetily, is not the case for this post.
    +1.

Most readers here probably aren't using an aggregator (yes, they should be, but they're not).

Even if everyone was using an aggregator, TSS publishing some blog entries means more quality discussion (not least of which the present comment :-) than just commments on Cameron or whoever's blog, if they are allowed at all.

However, I do agree that the pool of blogs could be a smidgeon more diverse than basically Cameron and JBoss.
  6. TSS publishing some blog entries means more quality discussion (not least of which the present comment :-) than just commments on Cameron or whoever's blog, if they are allowed at all.However, I do agree that the pool of blogs could be a smidgeon more diverse than basically Cameron and JBoss.
    Everyone can click on a link, I guess this was the whole idea of hypertext. Copying the whole blog entry just increases the entropy of the Universe and keeps harddrive manufacturers busy.

Placing just the link to the actual blog is better, but allowing to comment on the blog entry here on TSS is just stealing the thinder from the blog itself (if this is not a blog, but just an article which cannot be commented, then this is different story). Discussing the blog entry on TSS is to keep people in the club, yep. But TSS does not hide its reasons, calling itself a community.
  7. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

... and James Strachan will amuse us all with several indispensable new Java projects while somehow managing to get to the end of the year without finishing any of them.

Cameron will post on TSS signing with "peace".

Andreas will post another "yawn" in response to anything remotely similar to JMS.

Someone will announce that WebServices is the solution to everything. If only Marvin had known about WebServices, we'd have never got "42".

We will continue to see the richer nations outsourcing to the poorer. India will start to provide work for unemployment programmers in the US.

-John-
  8. Marvin[ Go to top ]

.If only Marvin had known about WebServices, we'd have never got "42".

That was "Deep Thought", the second greatest computer of all time and space...
  9. Web Services[ Go to top ]

... Someone will announce that WebServices is the solution to everything.

Hmmm, I thought that already happened :-)

Regards,
        Dirk
  10. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

TSS is no longer a place I use to visit to get the views of an industry.

It is now more of club and people keep on talking in this club.

The club has the following
    1. Cameron
    2. JBOSS guys
    3. TSS and middleware company guys (obviously)
    4. Sometime SUN.

I never hear from IBM and other guys . It seems more like a representation of one vision rather than an industry
  11. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

+1

I interviewed at BEA once and got told I would no longer be able to post on TSS if I joined. All posts from company employees had to be authorized.

I guess it is a sign that these companies are a lot more interested in there own message boards than being part of a community forum.
  12. TSS is no longer a place I use to visit to get the views of an industry.It is now more of club and people keep on talking in this club.The club has the following1. Cameron2. JBOSS guys3. TSS and middleware company guys (obviously)4. Sometime SUN.I never hear from IBM and other guys . It seems more like a representation of one vision rather than an industry

That is actually true, unfortunately, in my view. A lot of people reading – very few post or share their thoughts. My own company changed the attitude towards TSS ‘usefulness almost 180 degree lately. May be it will change back, we’ll see…

Back to the list: XML bit map and XML sounds stream was a good joke :-) I believe this is the best way to point absurdness of some of today’s technologies.

Nikita.
  13. Up to fight![ Go to top ]

"Back to the list: XML bit map and XML sounds stream was a good joke :-) I believe this is the best way to point absurdness of some of today’s technologies"

Why don't the TSS.COM members joins in a demand and a manifest that in all projects that use XML one person with a red lamp has to be present with the authority to oversee and forbid any overuse? Likewise overuse of Smart clients, Web services, SOA, light-weight frameworks, stateless servers, languages except Java and all the other absurd technologies frowned upon by the "purity in faith good old concrete J2EE guys"?

And when you are at it why not forbid parabol-antennas too?

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  14. Up to fight![ Go to top ]

"Back to the list: XML bit map and XML sounds stream was a good joke :-) I believe this is the best way to point absurdness of some of today’s technologies"Why don't the TSS.COM members joins in a demand and a manifest that in all projects that use XML one person with a red lamp has to be present with the authority to oversee and forbid any overuse? Likewise overuse of Smart clients, Web services, SOA, light-weight frameworks, stateless servers, languages except Java and all the other absurd technologies frowned upon by the "purity in faith good old concrete J2EE guys"?And when you are at it why not forbid parabol-antennas too?RegardsRolf Tollerud
    It's not just technologies, some people can be absurd too... :)
  15. Henrique don't be a bore! Pick up a copy instead and start to learn Abobe Illustrator. That is what I have been forced to do in my old days. There is no good graphical XAML editor yet therefore it is necessary to save the forms in SVG and convert to XAML. Still, it is fun! And I love the picture I get in my mind where I can see the J2EE guys struggling with it. :)

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  16. On and on and on[ Go to top ]

If youre here, who is ruling hell?
  17. Up to fight![ Go to top ]

This sounds exactly like Monpolistic propietory M$ !!

I wonder who Rolf works for ????
  18. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

TSS is no longer a place I use to visit to get the views of an industry

Hi,

give me some URLs, please !!!

Thnaks,
    DF.
  19. Hibernate, Spring, easy to use and FREE J2EE app servers (JBoss)...these are all exciting breakthrough technologies in this business.

What is IBM doing that is exciting and innovative to the average server side Java developer?

Can I download something from IBM that is free, greatly improves my productivity and is easy to use (like Hibernate and Spring)?

I'm curious I want to know.
  20. Can I download something from IBM that is free, greatly improves my productivity and is easy to use

Eclipse
  21. Yes[ Go to top ]

Can I download something from IBM that is free, greatly improves my productivity and is easy to use (like Hibernate and Spring)? I'm curious I want to know.

Xerces?

Xalan?
  22. That would be Apache.[ Go to top ]

Xerces?Xalan?

That would be Apache.

But Eclipse is a little bit of a one off isn't it. IBM do mostly produce things that help them sell their own services (fair enough) rather than particularly useful tools. Still can't beat OSS for that.
  23. Xerces / Xalan[ Go to top ]

Xerces?Xalan?
    That would be Apache.

Xalan is just the public apache name for LotusXSL (lotus is a division of IBM and that's where is was developed).

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/LotusXSL

The story for Xerces is practically the same. It used to be called IBM XML Parser for Java.
  24. Xerces / Xalan[ Go to top ]

Excuse my ignorance, well I'm learning a little open source history today!
  25. Not that it is my business but as I understand it IBM is financing Apache-Jakarta to 90%, not to speak of Linux- without IBM Linux would still be a toy. And IBM has always put a lot more money into Java than Sun.
  26. IBM has been great[ Go to top ]

IBM has been great to both Java and Linux and OSS.

In haste, I made an attempt to say that the folks at Hibernate, Spring, JBoss etc seem to be coming out with things that are useful and interesting to chat about. That's why I think they deserve all the talk on tss that they have received.
  27. Not that it is my business but as I understand it IBM is financing Apache-Jakarta to 90%, not to speak of Linux- without IBM Linux would still be a toy. And IBM has always put a lot more money into Java than Sun.

Rolf, could you possibly back up these wierd statements with some references? Apache is largely self supporting, the biggest expenses are rackspace and bandwidth, which is mostly provided by Sun, not IBM. Certainly, I haven't seen any checks come my way from IBM. Everyone I know of involved with Apache is investing a lot of personal time in the hopes of getting an indirect reward, such as consulting opportunities, ... not an IBM (or even a Sun) paycheck.
  28. I see constantly in the press that IBM is supporting Apache-Jakarta, some of the latest releases are,

August 3, 2004
    IBM gives code to Apache open sourcerers
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/03/ibm_open_source_gift/

SEPTEMBER 13, 2004
    IBM donating software to the Apache Software Foundation
    http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/0,10801,95892,00.html

It seems to be a long standing policy of IBM dating back as far as 1998:

"IBM has not only officially adopted Apache, but also IBMagreed to contribute back their current and future improvements,and an IBM employee reports that "our upper management has posted arequest for *ALL* IBM employees to donate any code they may have written for Apache to the *very important* internal Apache group in order for them to collect and submit to the external Apache group. Before this announcement, we would have been legally
    restricted from donating code to the Apache project, so now you have tens of thousands of new Apache developers."

http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/1998-July/003017.html

Soon after IBM donated XML4J, XML4C and LotusXSL technologies to the xml.apache.org .

And BTW, I don't buy the Open Source urban Legend of "thousands of idealistic developers around the world". Most successful projects are developed by an inner core of experts. So, IMO, like politicians that have to disclose their private economy and financing, I would like Open Source projects to list the donators that finance the top 10 developers of their core group. All in the public interest to prevent illegal dumping under the Open Source flag.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  29. Sorry, it's a quite useless post but i just wanted to say that rolf's posts are most of time ridiculous.... he just say thinngs without knowing, then search google to find somilar arguments...

thanks to peoples who replied to him on open source...
  30. From your links, seems like Apache Developers are getting paychecks from IBM in LOC, not in $$$... :) I wonder how they pay their bills with code? Go google that! :)

Regards,
    Henrique Steckelberg
  31. I see constantly in the press that IBM is supporting Apache-Jakarta, some of the latest releases are,August 3, 2004 IBM gives code to Apache open sourcerer...

Rolf,

There's a huge difference between donating code and paying salaries. In fact, I'd say that BEA is more in the model you're describing (paying internal developers to write code for open source projects: XMLBeans, Beehive, etc.). And from talking to the BEA guys at Javapolis, I can say that they don't get nearly enough time to work on the open source side of things as they'd like.

Likewise, the JBoss crew spends an awful lot of time consulting, working on JSRs and otherwise feeding the corporate beast.

As an Apache member, I was exposed to the actual accounting numbers at this year's ApacheCon. Trust me, there's not much money there beyond expenses for rackspace, bandwidth and the running of ApacheCon. While it is possible that IBM and Sun have paid developers working within the Apache organization (as I described BEA above), I am not aware of anyone at Apache for who Apache work is a full time, paid gig. Of the dozen or so committers and Apache members I work with on a regular basis, NONE of them get outside support.

Rolf, you're seeing corporate politics where there simply aren't any. We're all scratching that open-source itch. The best we can hope for is indirect compensation: consulting and support contracts, speaking engagements, and book deals (like you make money on that!).
  32. "While it is possible that IBM and Sun have paid developers working within the Apache organization (as I described BEA above), I am not aware of anyone at Apache for who Apache work is a full time, paid gig"

Ok, Howard, of course I believe you on your word.

I have to admit that I have no real proof just a feeling in this case. I was wrong, and I apologize.

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  33. IBM/ASF[ Go to top ]

http://www.apache.org/foundation/thanks.html

http://httpd.apache.org/contributors/

http://www.apache.org/foundation/records/
  34. IBM/ASF[ Go to top ]

Still waiting for the names of the 10 top Apache developers and who pays their salary.

I don't hold my breath though.
  35. IBM/ASF[ Go to top ]

Ok, so after faliling in your FUD saying that Apache was paied by IBM, you try to say that Apache peopels are all paid by IBM ?
    But poor you, you cannot go google to find some stupid and non sense ideas to help your claims ?
    So you just give another FUD...

Peoples do what they want in their life and it's not of ur business to know who gives salary to apache developers...

Open source development is driven by need... if a software lacks something, somebody will develop it. It's like that, peoples inside a project are not so important, the project have his own life cycle that is often different from project peoples life cycle ;)
  36. This "battle of the century" is not between Microsoft and Sun as many believe, not even between Microsoft and Open Source. It is, as in the past, solely between Microsoft and IBM.
  37. there was a thread a few weeks back[ Go to top ]

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=30327 It's pretty clear from that thread Apache most likely will never have fulltime programmer. the chance of 10 fulltime apache employed programmers is about as likely as hell freezing over. Even though I wish some of the apache developers got recognition for their dedication with cold hard cash, it's not going to happen.
  38. IBM[ Go to top ]

Hibernate, Spring, easy to use and FREE J2EE app servers (JBoss)...these are all exciting breakthrough technologies in this business.What is IBM doing that is exciting and innovative to the average server side Java developer?Can I download something from IBM that is free, greatly improves my productivity and is easy to use (like Hibernate and Spring)? I'm curious I want to know.

Cloudscape...

Standing behind Linux...

So far IBM has very friendly to the OSS developers/comunity. I'm happy to have them on our team

(Hopefully they don't opensource WebSphere!! I would hate to see more of that product around.)
  39. Jikes!

IBM has open sourced so many core Java technologies to the community. Without IBM's support, do you think Java can be so successful today? or maybe 1 year later, say Linux in enterprise environment?
  40. Take a peek at their alphaWorks ( http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com ) site. Might stumble on some useful stuff, like bridge2java for instance.

Sincerely,

Artem D. Yegorov
    http://www.activexml.org
  41. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

.NET is a total failure that needs to be completely and immediately abandoned.
    This was probably a joke, because <gasp> .NET is not _THAT_ bad, but shouldn't this really refer to things like SOA and its siblings, as .NET the language could easliy do the job of Java the language.
  42. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

Cameron, did you have to say .NET sucks? Now the trolls will seize the thread. They are sensitive people you know!
  43. Cameron Purdy: Top Ten List[ Go to top ]

Next up: XML Bitmap Image (XBI).

Throw a few tags around the XPM Image format, Voila'
  44. 5 - .NET will not just shrivel up and go away. You heard it here first, folks: Microsoft is not going to admit in the year 2005 that .NET is a total failure that needs to be completely and immediately abandoned. Not until 2006, when they have a new idea to replace it with, anyway.

Hi you all, I see that all the forum thread revolves around Java, but Cameron Purdy states the above quote, I would like anyone to expand or also express their impressions.

From what I see .NET evolving, as J2SE was 8 or 9 years ago, why Cameron is saying that ".NET will not just shrivel up an go away". Some explanation, please!
  45. Huh?[ Go to top ]

I see .NET evolving, as J2SE was 8 or 9 years ago

Huh?! J2SE wasn't even annouced until June 1999

http://java.sun.com/features/2000/06/time-line.html
  46. Gotcha[ Go to top ]

Huh?! J2SE wasn't even annouced until June 1999http://java.sun.com/features/2000/06/time-line.html

Oh I see what you are saying.

In 2005 you are predicting that .NET will evolve into something that can be released in another 5 years time.

Gotcha.

Good prediction.
  47. Gotcha[ Go to top ]

Huh?! J2SE wasn't even annouced until June 1999http://java.sun.com/features/2000/06/time-line.html
    Oh I see what you are saying.In 2005 you are predicting that .NET will evolve into something that can be released in another 5 years time.Gotcha.Good prediction.

But you see this is not a prediction for myself. It is Cameron Purdy own prediction.
    And this doesn't solve my expectation. Any further comments received? What I need is to know why Cameron tells this predicton.
  48. Gotcha[ Go to top ]

Oh I see what you are saying.In 2005 you are predicting that .NET will evolve into something that can be released in another 5 years time.Gotcha.Good prediction.
    But you see this is not a prediction for myself. It is Cameron Purdy own prediction. And this doesn't solve my expectation. Any further comments received? What I need is to know why Cameron tells this predicton.

Are you wondering what the humor is in this prediction?

Check out the comments on his blog for further clarification
  49. Hi Mark Nuttall , but where to look, can you explicitly point the URL, thanks....

And maybe it is humor but .NET is now a threat to the Java space. And thus if it is humor then .NET prediction could be the same way around. Both platforms are now fiery fighters to dominate marketplace, and it is a dollar stuff, my opinion!
  50. Hi Mark Nuttall , but where to look, can you explicitly point the URL, thanks....
    Click on the link in the orignal post for this thread? Then click the comments link when that comes up.
    And maybe it is humor but .NET is now a threat to the Java space.
    Not any more than VB6/ASP was.
     And thus if it is humor then .NET prediction could be the same way around. Both platforms are now fiery fighters to dominate marketplace, and it is a dollar stuff, my opinion!
    .Net is still trying to replace VB6/ASP
  51. Rod's target[ Go to top ]

"spring spring. Take that, Linda. Spring-diddy-spring"
    Would this be taunting EJB3EG or Spaces? John, a beer for your comment :)