ATG to Weblogic Migration

Discussions

General J2EE: ATG to Weblogic Migration

1. ATG to Weblogic Migration (3 messages)

I am going to convert ATG 5.1 application to weblogic 8.1 SP2.

The existing application is in JSP , so no jhtml business.
    All I am wondering is can I somehow reuse the existing dsp tags in the ATG JSP pages , put the appropriate classes (tag classes from ATG..etc) in the lib and run the app in weblogic..?
    Minor modifications are OK. If yes , what are the specific modifications required to the dynamo tag libs ?
    Did anyone ever do that..?
    Thnx
    siva

Threaded Messages (3)

2. ATG to Weblogic Migration[ Go to top ]

How's the application logic implemented? If it's implemented with ATG components (for example, do you have some dsp:importbean tags in your pages) you may be in for a major rewrite... I'm not talking about droplets like ForEach, Switch, etc. which can be easily translated with other tags, but things like the user profiling system will have to be recoded.

All of that is valid, of course, if in the new app there will be no trace of ATG. You do know that ATG runs on WebLogic?
  3. ATG to Weblogic Migration[ Go to top ]

Yes. I know that ATG runs on weblogic.
    The version of ATG that my apps are on is ATG 5.1 . I think only ATG 6 and above can run on weblogic. But the company has to buy 2 licenses right..? for both weblogic and ATG which could prove more expensive in the long run. Besides , the company wants to completely migrate things off ATG.
    The apps heavily use Targeting.
    My situation now is I am not sure which way is the best.
    1. Write the equivalents for ATG tags (all of them including targeting and simple tags as well)
    2. Run the nuclues servlets and others necessary on weblogic itself. In other words simulate exactly how ATG is running on weblogic without really having to buy ATG that runs on weblogic.

I think option 2 might be the fastest, but I am not sure abt the feasibility of it though.
    Can anybody who has done such migrations before elaborate on the pros and cons of each approach..?

Thnx a lot in advance
    Siva

How's the application logic implemented? If it's implemented with ATG components (for example, do you have some dsp:importbean tags in your pages) you may be in for a major rewrite... I'm not talking about droplets like ForEach, Switch, etc. which can be easily translated with other tags, but things like the user profiling system will have to be recoded.All of that is valid, of course, if in the new app there will be no trace of ATG. You do know that ATG runs on WebLogic?
  4. ATG to Weblogic Migration[ Go to top ]

In my opinion, but IANAL, for option 2, you should buy the ATG licenses because you'd be using the ATG software... For option 1, if you could redefine the tag library used in your pages you could (VERY theoretically) mask the usage of ATG functionality, but I think it could result in a ton of work... It could well be more expensive than to buy the ATG licenses; only you can evaluate that.