I am utilizing a Javabean within my JSP in OC4J 9.0.4.0 in the following manner:

<jsp:useBean id="myId" class="myPackage.MyBean" type="myPackage.MyBeanSuperclass" />

Then I do the following:

<c:set var="bean" value="$myId" />

and

<c:set target="${bean}" property="request" value="$pageContext.request" />

Finally, the bean in question, by way of its superclass (MyBeanSuperclass in the above), has the following method:

public void setRequest(ServletRequest request) {...}

It looks to me of course like all is in order, but then I get this:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Attempt to convert String "$pageContext.request" to type "javax.servlet.ServletRequest", but there is no PropertyEditor for that type
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.lang.support.ExpressionEvaluatorManager.coerce(ExpressionEvaluatorManager.java:177)
at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.core.SetSupport.doEndTag(SetSupport.java:177)
at _confirmation._jspService(_confirmation.java:386)
[SRC:/confirmation.jsp:90]

This is baffling since as you saw I do have such a method with the right parameter and meeting all the other property editor conventions for Javabeans. I was thinking that maybe when I save the bean to the variable called "bean" that bean is of type Object and therefore doesn't have the set method without a cast. I am also not sure if I need more curly braces or fewer or whatever, but any insight into this is appreciated.

Thanks.