Dynamic enterprise applications

Discussions

General J2EE: Dynamic enterprise applications

1. Dynamic enterprise applications (1 messages)

What I have come to understand is that it is very difficult to implement a business product that satisfies everybody. One can implement the core business logic, but there might be a need to extend that business logic to implement customer-specific logic. While it is feasible to keep adding new features to the products, based on a demand, it would be great to have the core product stable and extend the product dynamically. Does it make any sense? Has anybody tried to address such issue?

This may get confused with Business Process Modelling (BPM). But I think I am talking about a lower level that BPM.

Any comments would be highly appreciated.
    Regards,
    -Rajan
  2. Separation of concerns[ Go to top ]

Hi Rajan,

What you mention is a standard case of SoC.
    What I have come to understand is that it is very difficult to implement a business product that satisfies everybody.

Yup
    One can implement the core business logic, but there might be a need to extend that business logic to implement customer-specific logic. While it is feasible to keep adding new features to the products, based on a demand, it would be great to have the core product stable and extend the product dynamically. Does it make any sense?

What you mention is that you want to have a core product that is extended to offer customer-specific functionality. That is common practice. What you need for example, is a way to specify plugins (eclipse/myeclipse/websphere studio are easy examples).
    Has anybody tried to address such issue?

Using desing patterns with the judicious use of dynamic class-loading, yup.
    This may get confused with Business Process Modelling (BPM). But I think I am talking about a lower level that BPM. Any comments would be highly appreciated.Regards,-Rajan

Having a standard codebase is useful, it will however put more stress on version control (for testing/delivery) as different client extensions might contain dependencies on specific version of the core software.

hth,
    sv