ApacheDS 0.8 Released: An Enterprise Directory Server Platform

Discussions

News: ApacheDS 0.8 Released: An Enterprise Directory Server Platform

1. The Apache Directory team is pleased to announce the release of ApacheDS 0.8, a pure-Java LDAP server.

Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory server platform and its components where other Internet services snap in to store their data within the directory so they may be managed using LDAP. Those services include LDAP itself, DNS, DHCP, SLP, UDDI, NTP, and most importantly Kerberos, which can integrate with the services to provide full-featured network authentication service.

Features:

* Designed as an LDAP and X.500 experimentation platform.
    * The server exposes all aspects of administration via a special system backend.
    * Both the backend subsystem and the frontend are separable and independently embeddable.
    * Provides a server side JNDI LDAP provider which directly interacts with the backend storage.
    * Powered by Staged Event Driven Architecture (SEDA) which can handle large amounts of concurrency.

Coming soon:
    * Remote management via JMX.
    * Java-based triggers and stored procedures.

The Apache Directory team is looking for developers and users to work with the server and give feedback. Mailing list information is at: http://incubator.apache.org/directory/mailing-lists.html

Please note that the Directory Project is an effort undergoing incubation at the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). While incubation status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF.

Check ApacheDS at: http://incubator.apache.org/directory/

The Apache Software Foundation provides organizational, legal, and financial support for a broad range of open source software projects. The Foundation provides an established framework for intellectual property and financial contributions that simultaneously limits contributors potential legal exposure. Through a collaborative and meritocratic development process, Apache projects deliver enterprise-grade, freely available software products that attract large communities of users.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Anyone using this in the real projects?

Dmitry
    http://www.servletsuite.com
  3. is it related to geronimo[ Go to top ]

in the jndi server used bu the geronimo application server?
    or is there any plans for integration..?
    can this b a replacement for openLDAP ? how does it compare to active directory as introduced in win2003?
  4. is it related to geronimo[ Go to top ]

in the jndi server used bu the geronimo application server?or is there any plans for integration..?

Yes, it would be integrated with Geromino when it gets more feature rich and stable IMHO. We expect so at least.
    can this b a replacement for openLDAP ? how does it compare to active directory as introduced in win2003?

OpenLDAP is not so comfort to administer it. ApacheDS works out-of-the-box without any complicate setup procedure, and we will provide management via JMX for more flexible and standard management.

And please note our project vision at: http://incubator.apache.org/directory/

We are not making LDAP server only. We'll integrate various protocols with LDAP storage and these protocols will run under the same network framework which provides high concurrency which uses NIO. Kerberos server will provide a universal authentication and authorization on those protocols such as LDAP, DNS, NTP...
  5. is it related to geronimo[ Go to top ]

how does it compare to active directory as introduced in win2003?
    Anyone know how to install active directory on Linux? :)

Funny story - I needed to set some odd values in Active Directory. I finally figured how the users were doing it via the GUI. But couldn't figure out how to do it from code. So I download a free Java LDAP browser, saw how AD was actually storing it, and replicated it in code.

So this begs the question - By Active Directory, do you mean the GUI, or the underlying store?
  6. Seems we will soon be able to build complete Information systems 100% Java.
    J2EE Application server ( JOnAS or JBoss )
    Database ( Derby )
    LDAP ( ApacheDS )
    Mail server ( James )

Stéphane TRAUMAT
    JOnAS Live author
  7. A complete Java solution[ Go to top ]

I was really interested in a complete Java mail system for running on my XP server, and have been waiting for what seems like a year, but James hasn't seen much activity, JBossMail seems to be stuck, so I switched everything over to Linux and Postfix+SpamAssasin seem to work fine, but I have alot of Java goo on top of POP3, and MySQL hackery in Postfix+Spamassasin, etc to get Auth, Whitelists, Blacklists, etc. It would be nice to have it all in Java.
  8. weee[ Go to top ]

I hereby put forth the proposition of replacing the distinguished authors with Java versions of themselves.
    They will therefore serve the same purpose of previous instances while lacking most of the features and polish that had established their ancestors in their prime position.
  9. Re: weee[ Go to top ]

Great idea! Then they will also work better as a team and be easier to manage!
  10. Download?[ Go to top ]

The download link on the site doesn't work and the only thinh i found on the mirrors were the common jars....
  11. Download?[ Go to top ]

The download link on the site doesn't work and the only thinh i found on the mirrors were the common jars....

Please download the distribution at: http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/directory/apacheds/