Discussions

News: Expresso 5.6 Integrates More Open Source Projects

1. Expresso 5.6 Integrates More Open Source Projects (3 messages)

Jcorporate Ltd. is pleased to announce the latest release of its Expresso Framework. The open source Expresso 5.6 release builds on a solid feature set with several new open source products integrated and representing over 1000 cvs commits of framework enhancements.

Press Release
    Expresso is differentiated by its intentional and cooperative effort in the creation of an architectural framework that builds on the evolving Java standards and
    integrating best of breed open source components. Release 5.6 includes Struts Validator integration, <strong>Velocity</strong> support, and <strong>Maven</strong> integration complementing several other open source projects integrated. Expresso integrates
    and builds on many open source projects including Ant, Bouncycastle, Cactus, Commons, Log4J, ORO, Oswego Concurrent, JUnit, Struts, Tiles, Velocity, Xalan, Xerces, and more.

Expresso provides more than 65,881 lines of ready-to-go code in 593 classes.

A framework standardized approach means less coding, easier maintenance and debugging, and a fast learning curve. Instead of tedious, repetitive coding, programmers focus on cost- and time-efficient development.

With more than 34,000 registered developers as part of its successful open source community, Expresso has established itself as the most popular development framework for Java developers. Since Expresso's release in June 1999, it has been downloaded ~170,000 times and the number of downloads continues to accelerate. This rapid adoption, coupled with the breadth and depth of the framework and its commitment
    to integrate with other proven open source projects makes the Expresso framework the best possible choice.

Expresso is available free of charge for download at http://www.jcorporate.com/expresso.html.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. What is "Expresso"[ Go to top ]

Interesting post. But what I can't understand - why do I need to use Expresso instead of Struts + Hibernate + Validator etc.
    I was trying to read about it on the web site, but what I found:
    "Why use Expresso - Expresso enables rapidly developing web based applications, in a fraction of the time required to develop these applications normally. Most importantly Expresso is highly scalable, robust, portable, stable and secure." - funny, I never so a framework which I must use because it is "highly scalable, robust, portable, stable and secure".
  3. What is Expresso...[ Go to top ]

funny, I never so a framework which I must use because
    > it is "highly scalable, robust, portable, stable and
    > secure".

Why, you tell, that you would like to use a framework which is

- unscalable?
    - full of subtle hard to trace bugs?
    - locks you to a single platform (which you might not convince your customers to invest into)?
    - full of security holes?
    - for every bugfix you get more bugs or changing apis?

I don't think so...

Of course there are other aspects to be considered (like provided features), but these are also valid aspects when selecting a framework to use...

Regards,

Robert Varga
  4. Interesting post. But what I can't understand - why do I need to use Expresso instead of Struts + Hibernate + Validator etc.

Expresso is a great O-R mapping framework which is completely different from Hibernate. Expresso use lazy field binding (I.E. runtime binding) instead of designtime binding used by Hibernate. Sometime this type of mapping technique is extreamly flexible and handy.

Also, Expresso not only simply integrate Struts, it also extends Struts's Action mechanism to Controller/State mechanism which was proven to be more requirement friendly and more maintainable.

You may take a serious look at Expresso 5.6. It has many bug fixed and many improvements over preceding version.

Cheers

Wesley Wu (Beijing, China)