Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Struts, actions and forwards

1. Struts, actions and forwards (2 messages)

I have a web app that contains a base implementation of menus and content that cannot be changed or modified. I have built interfaces within the base implementation for extending menus, content, filtering, and customizing the display.

The problem is that as the implementation is extended the user needs to add entries to struts-config and tiles-defs files. Is it possible to build an infrastructure that can pick up the extended functionality without having to modify the configuration files? If so could someone provide an example or point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Shawn

Threaded Messages (2)

2. example[ Go to top ]

Not sure what you are referring to.Can you give me an example of what you are trying to do.
  3. example[ Go to top ]

Currently if the user selects the home menu, it is mapped to an action in struts "/home.do". If the user goes to the administration area of the web application and adds a new menu they will also need to configure an associated action in struts to corrospond to the newly added menu as well as extend the layout in tiles to include a detail page. They will also need to create an action class and actionform as needed for the menu they just added.

I would like to add a generic action class and actionform class that would handle the addition of new content. I would also like to eliminate the need for the user to modify the struts and tiles files.

I hope this seems a little clearer. :o)

Shawn