Discussions

News: JOnAS Completes J2EE 1.4 Certification

1. JOnAS Completes J2EE 1.4 Certification (22 messages)

ObjectWeb has announcd that the open-source application server JOnAS is now J2EE 1.4 certified, following 9 months of testing work. JOnAS was the first open source project to be awarded a scholarship under Sun's non-profit, open source friendly license terms. JOnAS joins JBoss as the only two certified open source appserver alternatives to commercial servers.

Checkout http://jonas.objectweb.org/.

JOnAS is a platform integrating original code with best of breed components from ObjectWeb and other open-source communities: Carol, HOWL, Ishmael, Jeremie, Jonathan, Joram, JORM, JOTM, Medor, Monolog, Perseus and Speedo from ObjectWeb; Axis, EWS, Jakarta Commons, Struts, Tomcat, Velocity, WSDL4J, XMLBeans from Apache; HsqlDB, JacORB, JGroups, Mx4J, P6Spy, XDoclet and XJavaDoc from the open-source community at large.

ObjectWeb is an international consortium of academia, corporate and individual members hosted and represented by INRIA, the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control. ObjectWeb licenses the J2EE CTS under Sun's license terms friendly to non-profit and open source projects. JOnAS was the first open-source project to be awarded such a scholarship by the Technology Compatibility Kit (TCK) Review Board (Apache Software Foundation, Doug Lea, professor of Computer Science, State University of New York at Oswego, and Sun Microsystems) in September 2003.

INRIA and Sun then worked several months to put in place the proper legal framework that would allow the ObjectWeb community of members to certify JOnAS' compliance. The certification process itself started in April 2004.

Threaded Messages (22)

2. This is a great news for JOnAS! Congrats to JOnAS team! We use JOnAS since its 2.4 version and always love it:
    - Easy to use structure (similar with Tomcat), so if you understand Tomcat, you'll feel at home with JOnAS == JONAS_ROOT and JONAS_BASE...
    - Easy to turn on and off all the services you need or don't need. This makes the startup time of JOnAS in development very fast...
    - Great documentation! This is especially very important for all beginners. I really like the docu of JOnAS... (always up-to-date, easy to read).

Thanks a lot to JOnAS team who provides us a great J2EE server!

BTW. I would like to see the "naked deployment" from 3.x (not to be mixed with "unjar deployment") coming back to JOnAS 4.x... :)

Cheers,
    Lofi.
    OpenUSS.
  3. Congratulations from Red Hat[ Go to top ]

A great accomplishment and thanks to all that worked
    on getting this J2EE certification in place to enable others following to take advantage of the work. The united team accomplished something that some said would take years to complete; once again demonstrating the beauty of open source collaboration. Look forward to the next hurdle that we work together on.
  4. Java 5[ Go to top ]

Are you planning to support Java 5? I tried JOnAS 4.2.3 on Java 5 and it was not working.
    Thanks.
    Mag
  5. JOnAS and Java 5[ Go to top ]

JOnAS 4 is supporting both Java 4 and Java 5.
    If you have any problem with Java 5 please report your problem on the jonas mailing list (jonas at objectweb dot org).
    Thanks.
  6. Congrats [again] from the Apache Geronimo Project!

- geir
  7. Thanks for your kind words Geir.

Next app server certified will be Geronimo :)

We were very pleased to work with Apache folks, mainly on web services stuff (Axis, EWS, jUDDI).
    And we're in the process of contributing back all our Axis modifications to make Axis better.
    We're doing a great work together !
  8. Free chapter available on JOnAS installation:
    http://www.sourcebeat.com/TitleAction.do?id=9

For firefox users, do "save as"

Stéphane TRAUMAT
    JOnAS Live Author
  9. Congrats...[ Go to top ]

... from me as well, on a significant milestone in the life of a good and significant product. Well done ;)
  10. This is good news.

I'm often quite amazed how well this application server "just works". I work from time to time with different commercial/open-source application servers (it's WebSphere at the moment) and it did remind me that Jonas has been a joy to work with.
    Well, there's some things that could be improved, but I guess that jonas' mailing list is the right place for that discussion :)
  11. ...JOnAS joins JBoss as the only two certified open source appserver alternatives to commercial servers...
    I don't think so. The java community has lots of choices as to licenses and so.
    AFAIK Caucho Resin (www.caucho.com) offers also is a J2EE licensee and offers an open-source version for some no-profit uses.
  12. only Two open-source app-servers?[ Go to top ]

Resin is only a web container and no J2EE container... JBoss and JOnAS are full-blown J2EE container 1.4...

Cheers,
    Lofi
  13. Resin EE[ Go to top ]

AFAIK Resin is one of the most appreciated J2EE containers around, with EJB, JMS etc...
    The real lack is a full-blown integrated visual console, which, however doesn't have space within J2EE specs.
    Resin-EE has been around for quite a lot of time and the commercial+open-source formula is quite interesting.
    Obviously there are some things which Resin-EE does not provide, but you might discover that other containers do not provide them...
  14. Resin EE[ Go to top ]

Uups sorry :-) I only know "the" Resin Web Container :-) Is Resin EE J2EE certified?

Lofi.
  15. only Two open-source app-servers?[ Go to top ]

Resin is only a web container and no J2EE container... JBoss and JOnAS are full-blown J2EE container 1.4...

Resin is a full J2EE stack, and is either already certified or will be shortly ..

Also, it is open source via GPL, which sucks as a license, but at least it means you have access to the source. (You've always had source with Resin, actually.)

Caucho is a software company that makes money by selling software licenses and support, etc. so even though they've open sourced it with GPL, they still sell commercial licenses. I've always been fond of Resin, and hope they do well; it's tough for them to be in such a crowded market that includes huge commercial efforts and also open source offerings, but they've done pretty well.

Nonetheless, congratulations to the JOnAS team as well .. maybe you could simplify the capitalization of the name at some point for those of us with carpal tunnel syndrome? ;-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  16. Why bothering ?

After replacing closed source software in database, network and os layers, it's time for Open source to replace closed sources softwares in the middleware layers.
  17. ...and offers an open-source version for some no-profit uses.

There's no such thing as "conditional" open-source. See the definition of open-source by OSI: criterium #5 states "The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons."
  18. OSI open-source[ Go to top ]

OSI's definition is true for OSI only, linguistically speaking is misleading since it doesn't allow distinction between marketing approach (commercial vs. free vs. anything in between).
     Also there are other definitions (FSF etc...) which do not ahdere to this, different people has different views.
     OSI's one was forged at times when free==sources available, now it's not anymore the time.

In my personal opinion it also somewhat endorsed the bad rule that "if it isn't nailed then it's mine".
     Commercial-open source is really a great thing! You get the best out of both the worlds (expecially if price is extremely reasonable as Resin's one).
  19. Congratulations for passing the TCK.
  20. congrats from jboss[ Go to top ]

Congrats from JBoss. We know how much work it is. I'm glad somebody else got to benefit from the work we did on JacORB for certification. The TCK is tough as it is, no OSS licensee should have to go through the IIOP interoperability pain again...Hopefully Resin can take advantage too.

Bill
  21. congrats from jboss[ Go to top ]

Thanks Bill!

Indeed, that's a lot of work, and interop IIOP a nightmare! :)

BTW, I hope we could contribute some changes we did in JacORB in order to complete your great work. This should benefits others JacORB/JBoss users.

Cheers
  22. congrats from jboss[ Go to top ]

Thanks Bill!Indeed, that's a lot of work, and interop IIOP a nightmare! :)BTW, I hope we could contribute some changes we did in JacORB in order to complete your great work. This should benefits others JacORB/JBoss users.Cheers

If you feel like it, let me know offline. I know we had to jump through hoops to pass the IIOP security propagation stuff. Maybe you guys made it easier to config?

Bill
  23. 'JOnAS Completes J2EE 1.4 Certification' is interesting. I like knowing that
    ObjectWeb has stated that the open-source application server JOnAS is now J2EE 1.4 certified. JOnAS was the first open source project to be awarded a scholarship under Sun's open source license. ObjectWeb is an international consortium of academia, corporate and individual members represented by INRIA, the French National Institute for Research in Computer Science and Control. Thank God I read  this posting. I am glad that I know about ObjectWeb and its background. Dedicated server is the best.

PaulWeb - http://www.connetu.com