Why not use applets for fat clients

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Why not use applets for fat clients

1. Why not use applets for fat clients (3 messages)

Hi all, the following will "out" me as somebody who is not into Java day to day business but also has to care for other things sometime. Story goes like this.
    In my company we have a lot of applet fat clients - not my fault, I wouldn't have built them - but anyway - we have them.

Besides the usual design considerations (no 3T, fat, network traffic for loading them) a few consultants put on a slide that applets also have severe memory limitations.
    I asked them where they have that written - thay said ... Hmmmm .. project experience

I browsed Usenet and TSS and couldn't find anything besindes
    * security limits - which are o.k.
    but nothing on memory restrictions or other problems that make applets a per se bad choice for a fat (excuse me "rich") Java client.

Any hints, pointers, ideas what the guys could refer to?

Thanks

Wolfgang

Threaded Messages (3)

2. a few consultants put on a slide that applets also have severe memory limitations

"severe" is a bit strong I think.

The only real memory limitation is it the client machine. If your applet is running on an old machine, it will suffer more so than a webapp running on an old machine.

I would ask them "severe memory limitations" compared to what:
      * Compared to the same appliaction launched in webstart?
      * Compard to the appliaction running as a standalone java process?
      * compared to rewriting it in a webapp?
  3. The only real memory limitation is it the client machine. If your applet is running on an old machine, it will suffer more so than a webapp running on an old machine.

I tried to do my homework and all I found as limitations was also the memory size of the JVM which depends on the OS but seems to be above one Gigabyte in most cases - this could hardly be seen as a limitation.
    I would ask them "severe memory limitations" compared to what:   * Compared to the same appliaction launched in webstart?  * Compard to the appliaction running as a standalone java process?  

that's what I did ... I guess the interesting comparable thing today would be a standalone webstart application. But as I say - an extensive search yielded nothing - seems I will ask them again :-)
  4. Why so paranoid?[ Go to top ]

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with applets on the client side. I've successfully used them for rendering complex interactive graphical capabilities in a web browser. Try doing an interactive Gantt chart in DHTML.