Discussions

General J2EE: Implications of Spring and Hibernate on project

1. Implications of Spring and Hibernate on project (4 messages)

Are there any licensing fees or royalties involved with either of them for a product for professional sales?

Does any or all of the code written for the project have to be released to open source?

Any info or links anyone could provide for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joel
  2. Spring is licensed under Apache
    Hibernate is licensed under GNU GPL

You are free to use the products as you please as long as your product remains separable from the original. However, if you modify the source code of either product, you are legally bound to make you changes available under the same license as it came with and various other conditions apply.

Check out the license files distributed with the product.
  3. If Spring is Apache-licensed then you can include it in a binary-only commercial product. As Hibernate is GPL, you're out of luck - you'd have to release the source code of your own product too. At least, that's the way I've always understood it. Best thing to do is contact the relevant developers directly and ask them - they're the copyright holders.
  4. As Hibernate is GPL, you're out of luck - you'd have to release the source code of your own product too.
    Hibernate is LGPL. Basically, you have to release source of any modifications you would make to Hibernate.

As for your own product - depends on wheter your product is a "work that uses the Library" or "a derivative of the Library". Those two terms are defined in the paragraph 5 of the LGPL.

As always, I Am Not A Lawyer.
  5. Hibernate is LGPL? Great - looks like you can use it then :)