eXo open source enterprise portal platform 1.0 released

Discussions

News: eXo open source enterprise portal platform 1.0 released

1. The eXo Platform team has announced the release of eXo Platform 1.0. eXo is an open source enterprise portal framework hosted with the ObjectWeb consortium.

It comes with many features such as:

* portlet API (JSR 168 since december 2003)
    * WSRP (since february 2004)
    * dynamic layout and skin model built on top of JSF
    * Struts, cocoon and JSF bridges to build your portlets
    * SOA architecture built on top of pico container
    * extensible and modular configuration files
    * eXo Platform IDE (eclipse plugin) to build, deploy, debug and web unit test the portlets
    * community management
    * strong organizational model
    * multi portal instances support
    * mobile and PDA support through xHTML-MP JSF renderers
    * internationalization support
    * property files chain concept
    * JMX management of all deployed services
    * Admin console portlet including JDK 5.0 JVM monitor and user browsing navigation adn behavior
    * forum and web mail advanced portlets
    * wiki portlet (xWiki integration)
    * Workflow portlet and service
    * indexing portlet and service based on lucene
    * backup portlet and service
    * file explorer portlet
    * JCR (JSR 170) proposed draft implemtation and JCR explorer portlet
    * ability to register groovy scripts inside the service container which is very convenient to provide quick run-time modifiable hooks such as listeners like new user event listeners...

...and more at http://www.exoplatform.com

Threaded Messages (50)

2. But site looks really badly corrupted in lataest Firefox, does not work( plenty of 'Document contains no data" alerts), no header, and slow [as usual].

That does not buid confidence in the platform at all.

I like eXo concept but implementation IMO about 1-1.5 years far away from prime time.
  3. I'm not sure what your problem is with Firefox and eXo. My team and I are all using a combination of IE 6.0 and Firefox 1.0 with no problems. I believe what you are seeing is a problem with the hosting company and not a browser compliance problem.
  4. Konstantin,

The only advice I can give you is to at least download the zip file and try it with Firefox. I can swear there is no problem with it as our entire team is developing using it.

The problems you experience are probably network connections and some css files do not return to your browser...but I can not tell more. Other sites from our hosting company seem to have the same problems these days.

And for the speed just try with your own stress tests as I gave you ours last time and seems you did not believe them :) Just download it and test it on your own hardware to make a real conclusion (I also remember each time you make a comment you increase the time that you think eXo should be ready for production, six months ago you said six months :) ).

I don't have the URL for the Press Release yet but you sill see we have already large projects using the eXo Platform including the US Join Force Command.
  5. My comment was about your site, which is supposed to be a showcase. Does it?

I would believe that downloaded eXo could work fine, but have very little appeal to do so because 'showcase' does not inspire me to do so. Even it is not your fault directly.
    The only advice I can give you: Maybe you should pick another time for announcement and care more about your site..
    Everything contributes to the impression regarding project and its reliability.

And yes, I did increase _my_ overall estimate because of that.
  6. So Konstantin be sure to explain yourself well when making fast comments such as:

"I like eXo concept but implementation IMO about 1-1.5 years far away from prime time."

While you obviously have not looked at the implementation...

The thing is that we make announcements when we release and we release when it is ready. Our main concern is the product quality and we don't really care about marketing (as usual maketing approach) as we don't need it to get users and customers.

So I would be very happy if you could just download it once and take te time to evaluate it (if you need such a platform for sure :) ).
  7. While you obviously have not looked at the implementation..
    I did look at it very carefully 6 month ago (spend a week on it) and was not satisfied by implementation at all (whole bunch of printlns(“JSF statements”) in components).
    At this time I did not have compelling reason to do it again.

>>And for the speed just try with your own stress tests as I gave you ours last time and seems you did not believe them :)

Yeap, and I even explained why: those time was not entire page download time but html rendering time only. I also pointed to apparent problem with non-cacheable images because of headers, which seems to be resolved by now.

>>I don't have the URL for the Press Release yet but you sill see we have already large projects using the eXo Platform including the US Join Force Command.

Could not care less - large projects have whole bunch of bodies to make fly any pig ( do not mean exactly eXo here ).

>>Our main concern is the product quality and we don't really care about marketing (as usual maketing approach) as we don't need it to get users and customers.

Well, if quality of project show case is not a concern for you then so be it. I just happen to define quality differently.
  8. I did look at it very carefully 6 month ago (spend a week on it) and was not satisfied by implementation at all (whole bunch of printlns(“JSF statements”) in components)

Then that is JSF itself that you don't like but that is another story I will not comment here...also note that you can use any other technology such as Struts or cocoon to make your own portlets if the new JSF paradigm does not suite you.

.At this time I did not have compelling reason to do it again.>>

So before you do it again and take the time to look at the 1.0 implementation just please don't make any fast conclusion. I don't say your conclusion will be different I just until you do it professionaly we can not take your critisms seriously and that may be a pity as you may suggest interesting evolutions but we never say you suggest any on our forums...

Yeap, and I even explained why: those time was not entire page download time but html rendering time only. I also pointed to apparent problem with non-cacheable images because of headers, which seems to be resolved by now.

The number included the download time as the tests were done on a local network with at least two computers. The network was a LAN but the average size of the page is only around 20kb.

The other content were cacheable from the beginning and we have not changed that...
  9. Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

We used Exo a bit ago. While you can write your own components to override their behaviors, that's really not what you want to do if you can help it. Last I checked, most people used open source tools to save time, and write less code. However, in order to graft on a new look and feel (which was pretty rich, I'll admit) it took weeks, and weeks. Oh, and a few more weeks. Their big mistake, I think, was that they did not build the portal using standards based XHTML and CSS. If they'd just done that, I could have tweaked just about everything I needed with their tools and CSS.

Bear in mind, my last experience with it was probably 6 months ago, so they may have gotten better. However, the main thing that turned me off was that their forums were not very helpful. The developers were quite defensive and didn't seem interested in allowing any outside help to enhance the project. Overall, they seemed a bit too proud for their own good.

Their documentation was pretty good, though it needed somebody to proofread it a bit better, as it was littered with gramatical and spelling mistakes. I'm sure it's because english isn't their first language, which is totally understandable, and I would have been happy to help proofread the docs, but I didn't bother to offer because of the fact they just seemed like they weren't interested in outside help...

I ended up using Jetspeed and got my project done in a couple of weeks. I'm keeping my eye on Jetspeed 2.
  10. Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

I am not sure on what types of changes that you had in mind for changing the skins on eXo, but I know we were able to do it simply by changing the css in the skins webapp. It was pretty easy, but our changes were not complex. As for your experiences working with the eXo team, I'm really surprised. From the very beginning I have found them very approachable and receptive to ideas for improvement and bug fixes. The openness of the eXo team was one of the key reasons that drove us to use their product in our work.
  11. Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Hey Calamity :)

I am quite estronished with your comment (well not technical can be your point of view) but to the fact we were not open to any external changes, you are really the first one that makes such a comment. Maybe you asked a question in our bad day ;), so I am sorry if we were not that responsive.

Can you remind me what was your suggestion at the time?
  12. Well, my experience is quite different. After evaluating many opensource portal (Jetspeed, eXo, Liferay, Gridsphere) I choose eXo as the portal platform for our upcoming projects.

I found eXo to be very interesting from the architectural standpoint (it's more complex than other portals but in this case complexity is connected to a lot of nice features).

After contacting the eXo team I got all the needed support to begin work at the Italian translation for the platform. In two hours I got access to the Subversion repository.

My expirience with the eXo platfrom is very good so far...

We have version 1.0, let's se what we'll get next.

Bye
  13. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Konstantin, your comment make me think to a guy who tries to learn ski and who just bought a tremendous pair of ones (those which are not yet on market) for a handful of dollars :"ouch, what's this sh$$t ? This snow is slush ? These skis don't turn ! ..." Ah, ah, ah
    And enjoy my french touched english !!! :-)

Well, like Daniel, i had to evaluate many opensource portal for a Telecom company : Jetspeed 1 & 2, Liferay, eXo, Gridsphere, Gluecode (PFS), uPortal and Pluto (as the reference for JSR168 implementation).
    Our goal was to find a portal which allow us to deliver html content (xhtml-mp) on mobile phones = a mobile portal. I was very impressed by JSF concept and its implementation in eXo. We worked with Benjamin and exo team and rapidly succeeded to do what we want.
    I don't really understand these comments : "The developers were quite defensive and didn't seem interested ...".
    I'm sure that if you talked to them like you post here, i'm not surprised !!!
  14. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Konstantin, your comment make me think to a guy who tries to learn ski and who just bought a tremendous pair of ones (those which are not yet on market) for a handful of dollars :"ouch, what's this sh$$t ? This snow is slush ? These skis don't turn ! ...
    It looks like you confuse me with Calamity. I rather see myself as a guy who receives an offer to buy an incredible good skies for 50000 euro and whom sales showed a twisted and cracked pair as proof.
  15. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Please would be fine if you could moderate your language Konstantin, you seems to take it quite personnal adn we can not take your critics as serious and constructive especialy after all the incoherent comment you make.

Once again, how can you make a comment on the current implementation based on a 6 months old one week evaluation?

By the way let me remind you it is Open Source software and you can get it for free (of charge) if you want to play the GPL game so don't through price numbers like that either.
  16. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Hi Benjamin,
    By the way let me remind you it is Open Source software and you can get it for free (of charge) if you want to play the GPL game so don't through price numbers like that either.

Please explain (since I can't get to your site .. I keep getting "document contains no data"). Do you have to pay to use EXO for commercial projects (i.e. projects that won't redistribute their own code)? In other words, is this one of those "dual licensing" schemes where you can use EXO for free as long as you provide all your work (portlets, whatever) back as GPL, but if you want to use it on a commercial web site you have to pay?

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  17. GPL[ Go to top ]

Hi Cameron

You are 100% correct.

Cheers

Benjamin
  18. GPL[ Go to top ]

Hi Benjamin,
    Hi Cameron
    You are 100% correct.

I was able to get to your site after I posted that, and I see that you are clear about your licenses. I appreciate that.

(Some companies use the dual licensing model as a trap, which I believe gives open source a bad name. I was very glad to see the clear explanation on your website, and the published pricing for the commercial licenses. Anyone complaining about those prices should just try writing their own ..)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  19. GPL[ Go to top ]

Anyone complaining about those prices should just try writing their own ..

That would be silly with so many good portal frameworks available. Anyone concerned about technical AND business requirements should evaluate any product's licensing, cost, and technical features that may impact business intellectual property.

Portals are an application and content integration strategy and to have a license that says if I integrate into your integration framework you own my business application seems murky. It seems silly to me to market an integration strategy that prohibits integration. I assume WSRP portlets would be safest.

No one is complaining about the clearly written licenses. Realize that exo is marketing two products. The fantastic GPL version and the commercial license version that competes against other commercial products.

Too many technical people confuse the philosohies which make them two products. They should be judged separately.

I personally feel that exo has great technical potential and would be on the top of the list for anyone implmenting a specs-driven portal. But the licensing and pricing reduce the chance of a community from evolving.
  20. GPL[ Go to top ]

Thanks Cameron, that explanation was inspired from MySQL point of view too.

Also we truly think we have the best rate value over price out there. We don't claim to be the cheapest and we don't claim to be the best...we just hope to be the best choice for mid size companies and to rule a profitable business with our own strategy.

If people complain on prices or license then they can choose another free solution (in sense of more open license such as LGPL or Apache) we force no one but they will not get the same functionalities...

People have to understand that we are running a company with full times employees and that is why (at least we think) we are ahead any other open source solutions and even many commercial closed source solutions.

I don't see why we always have to justify ourselves on our license and business model, the point is that at the end the best product (if not too expensive) will be use...
  21. GPL[ Go to top ]

If people complain on prices or license then they can choose another free solution (in sense of more open license such as LGPL or Apache) we force no one but they will not get the same functionalities...

Which functionalities ?
    People have to understand that we are running a company with full times employees and that is why (at least we think) we are ahead any other open source solutions and even many commercial closed source solutions.I don't see why we always have to justify ourselves on our license and business model, the point is that at the end the best product (if not too expensive) will be use...

I understand very much your lock-in (yes I qualify it as lock-in) scheme as I feel it is induced from the European and more especially the French way of doing business in software development and as a parallel in opensource development where expertise as such is not taken seriously. (unfortunately)

It is very hard for a small company such as yours or an independant consultant which has an expertise in a specific area to be accepted in the French business and administration. To be taken seriously you need some kind of lock-in...because simply users will NEVER contribute back anything or even consult you, which is driving me crazy and I'm fighting against this attitude just every day

Corporations using your solution (on behalf of integrators) will simply ignore you and never ask for support or sponsor development, they will pick your code, fork it and build on it rather than trying to work with you and cooperate, which is the essence of community-driven development.

As you need to survive financially, your lock-in dual commercial license is to me a workaround for such bad practices. And you are not responsible for that.

I think however that if you were in the US you would be able to have a much different license and make money out of support and consulting without the need for such lock-in scheme, because the market is simply more open to individual expertise.

This is not a coincidence, that many moons ago if you were in the shareware business, you would receive statistically all registration from the US and none from France. Not because the market is more important but because the attitude is different. Online donation for software from France ? You gotta be kinding. You have much better chance to see a supersonic flying frog at sea level. ;)

And finally I should add that there is no such 'best product' in the real world, but an appropriate product for specific needs. Best in what ? support ? community ? features ? integration ? ease of use ? ease of deployment ? ease of development ? price ? license ?

There is no such products that cumulates all those. I have been looking at nearly all portals including under the hood analysis: Exo, Liferay, JetSpeed (1/2), JOE, uPortal, Jahia, GridSphere. Unfortunately I'm afraid my analysis would not be PC and would start a flame war. For some people it is very hard to see their baby criticized (even constructively) and discussion is not even possible, so don't expect me to give any feedback in a public forum.
  22. GPL[ Go to top ]

Unfortunately I'm afraid my analysis would not be PC and would start a flame war. For some people it is very hard to see their baby criticized (even constructively) and discussion is not even possible, so don't expect me to give any feedback in a public forum.

I would be interested in your analysis. I've been using Liferay for a while now and I'm pleased with it, but it wouldn't hurt to get another perspective. You can email me at sgjava at gamil dot com, thanks!
  23. GPL[ Go to top ]

For some people it is very hard to see their baby criticized (even constructively) and discussion is not even possible,
    You nailed it down.
    so don't expect me to give any feedback in a public forum.
    C'mon go ahead. Dear vendors might be disappointed but comments will benefit all the technology consumers. Lets grill vendors, they might get tender over time :)
  24. GPL[ Go to top ]

C'mon go ahead. Dear vendors might be disappointed but comments will benefit all the technology consumers. Lets grill vendors, they might get tender over time :)

I'm not talking here about big commercial portals, because I'm not (and customers rarely) interested in getting everything but the kitchen sink, this is even worth of a lock-in, you start to get the portal and the vendor will tell you that it works best on top of his or another commercial app server...and with his database...etc etc...

That said from a pure content structuration and retrieval I was quite impressed with Plumtree as they have implemented ideas that show that they have experienced managing hundred of portlets and thousand of documents. I know that some customers have up to 800 portlets, and if you are not flexible, dynamic and structured you pay the price way before. (For some portals, 50 portlets and you are in an administration nightmare, but then again, small to medium customers don't need that much portlets as a starting solution)

I cannot comment for the ease of deployment, use, extension, code, etc... but price tag is an issue and so is platform deployment (I did not check if they managed to release their full java version) but few months ago it was still a windows-only deployment.
  25. N of Portlets[ Go to top ]

I know that some customers have up to 800 portlets, and if you are not flexible, dynamic and structured you pay the price way before.
    I have impression that Tapestry can handle 800 components with ease. Why all those blocks have to be “Portlets”?

Could somebody tell about Tapestry based portal[-like] projects with regard to number of portlet like components ?
  26. N of Portlets[ Go to top ]

I think you should compare tapestry to jsf components and not the portlet.
  27. N of Portlets[ Go to top ]

I think you should compare tapestry to jsf components and not the portlet.
    I do not think so, Tapestry components are more powerful than JSF. Do not believe me, just try it yourself, create portlet-type Tapestry component drop it into a page and see how that goes.
  28. N of Portlets[ Go to top ]

Well , then your tapestry components will be contrainted within the your own tapestry application. Like jsf you can come up with your own jsf portal and jsf portlet components. But your component are not portable
    I do not think so, Tapestry components are more powerful than JSF

I am not quite familiar with tapestry so would not comment. But we are quite happy with our jsf choice for the exoplatform

Tuan Nguyen
    www.exoplatform.org
  29. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

Cameron,
     I don't see how deploying the portal and then deploying portlets to the container (and not provide the work back to the community) would violate the GPL license. Only if the portlets directly access specific container functions. Then those probably would violate the JSR spec.

I guess they are saying that their product is only GPL when used non-commerically. You should only need to provide work that is specific to eXo. Is this really a GPL license? Oh well.

Mark
  30. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

BTW, I still can't get to the site. I have in the past and have read the license. It wasn't that clear to me at that time.
  31. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

I guess they are saying that their product is only GPL when used non-commerically.
    Got to the site and they are NOT saying that. :)
  32. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

I guess they are saying that their product is only GPL when used non-commerically.
    Got to the site and they are NOT saying that. :)

Could not get to their license page( Document contains no data) but 6 month ago their _interpretation_ of GPL pretty much prohibited commercial use of the product.
    Could not say if it is legal or not, but I agree more with JBoss interpretation of GPL.

Did your interpretation changed?
  33. Re : Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

id your interpretation changed?
    Not sure. But I think they made it more clear. Very clear. And it being GPL doesn't prevent its use in Commercial applications.
  34. license[ Go to top ]

id your interpretation changed?
    Not sure. But I think they made it more clear. Very clear. And it being GPL doesn't prevent its use in Commercial applications.
    Kind of, see what GPL FAQ says http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLInProprietarySystem

That interpretation means that it is OK to deliver a Commercial application as long as it is GPL...
    GPL seems to consider GeneralLedger application to be an extension of file.io….
  35. license[ Go to top ]

Kind of, see what GPL FAQ says ...
    Right. But eXo is a portal. You install it. Then deploy porlets to it. Doing this for a "commerical" application doen't mean your app specific code (portlets) falls under the GPL. Now if you bundle it all together and ship it or distribute it - it still would not violate the GPL (see the link you provided) but it would violate eXo's license - see the license page. It really is pretty clear.
  36. Bad experiences...[ Go to top ]

I found Calamity's post hard to believe as our company's experience was quite different. After posting a few comments and suggestions to the exo forum we were actually invited to contribute our suggested changes to the product. Where Calamity found them to be proud and defensive we found the exo staff to be quite open and receptive to outside suggestions.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the accusation that the exo portal does not use standards-based xhtml and css. The skins which define the look-and-feel of all displayed components in exo are defined by standard css files.

Overall, we found it to be a good low-cost portal option and have a client who has been running an eXo portal installation (pre-1.0) in production since November of last year.
  37. CSS, XHTML[ Go to top ]

Also, I'm a bit puzzled by the accusation that the exo portal does not use standards-based xhtml and css. The skins which define the look-and-feel of all displayed components in exo are defined by standard css files.

By standards based I refer to actually coding to current W3C XHTML. That deprecates a pile of formatting attributes in HTML tags, requiring you to do that formatting in CSS. Generally, the definition of "standards based" means such things as using tables for what they were meant for, tabular data. Not for layout. Notice how the new beta version of MSN, and try to find a table used for layout. In the words of Jeffrey Zeldman, 99% (or something like that) of websites are obsolete. Well, pretty much every single site based on exo will be obsolete out of the box, and the only way you can change that is to rewrite all of their components. I wish they'd used some sort of templating mechanism to make it easy to change the HTML, not just the css. Of course, if it were standards based XHTML, this probably wouldn't be necessary.

The layout I tried to implement was a computer game portal site. The UI was very slick, and I spent ages rewriting components, and figuring out their architecture. The architecture isn't bad, I don't think, I just wish there were a more flexible way to skin the site...

For a good example of how pure standards based XHTML and CSS can work together to create a truly flexible design check out the following site. The structure of the HTML on this site is fixed, authors are only allowed to change images and style sheets. It's pretty cool stuff... To the exo team, I'd really look into converting the site generation to this format. An added bonus is the resultant size of the HTML, I've ready stories of people cutting the size of their pages by up to 80% by switching ot pure XHTML and CSS. Often, people don't realize how long it really takes to download the contents for a web page. For instance, the exo home page is 20k of html. That may not seem like much, but if a lot of people even on DSL or cable only get around 25kb per sec, then after adding images and everything else it could take a few seconds just in download time, not counting the amount of time for a server to render pages and the browser to figure them out. Anyway, here's the site:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

As to the whether they were open or not, I made postings to their forum (can't remember anymore what I was thinking of adding) offering my time, and I got absolutely no response. Maybe I'm assuming things, but when you're sitting there trying to offer help, that feels cold and as though you don't value external contributions. If you're not interested in it, then come out and say hey, I don't think that's the direction we want to go...

I had totally forgotten, but the GPL thing was an issue for me too. I know it takes faith, but I prefer software to be released under a more open license. Offer support for a reasonable fee, and nicely request donations. I think you'd be impressed how much money in donations would end up rolling in. A company I used to work for had about 15k left over in our software budget at the end of the year, and we split it amongst three open source projects we had been using a lot. So, each of those groups got 5k. I think that's a nice bonus. If a few other companies would do the same, open source would be rolling in the cash...
  38. CSS, XHTML[ Go to top ]

A company I used to work for had about 15k left over in our software budget at the end of the year, and we split it amongst three open source projects we had been using a lot. So, each of those groups got 5k. I think that's a nice bonus. If a few other companies would do the same, open source would be rolling in the cash...

That sounds like a very admirable thing. It would be great if those contributions to open-source were frequent, but I think that it is unlikely that most companies would spend that extra cash on something they didn't have to. Not to mention the problem of an open-source company trying to build a viable business model around charity.

Mike
  39. CSS, XHTML[ Go to top ]

Calamity,

You can not depend on donation when you have employee that need to be paid at the end of each month...

Our business is rising we are hiring and the community is very large now.

Once again the product quality compare to its competitors makes the real difference, not the license (as soon as it is OSI certified).
  40. Bad Experience - NOT![ Go to top ]

I think you will find that the experience of those that have used eXo to be quite pleasant. Perhaps you should give it another shot. Like many others we did evaluated most of the portal solutions. EXo was selected as our framework for the future because of its architecture and features. We have not been disappointed with our choice.

Initially, we had some reservation about picking a "new" platform because of documentation, quality, momentum, etc. The eXo team has done a tremendous job addressing our concerns. The documentation, while still insufficient, has come together nicely. The quality of the core components is good. They have invested substantial effort in regression and performance testing. Finally, the eXo community is expanding at a pretty good clip.

Changing the look and feel of eXo is not terribly difficult. They have a sample project that demonstrates how this can be done. There are also numerous other sites that have implemented significantly different look. I do wish they would change their (rather sterile) default look and feel.

We have found eXo to be very browser friendly. We have used eXo on a number of projects, with diverse users, and have had no browser issues. I personally use FireFox and it works well for me.

Changing functional behavior of eXo is also possible. They have implemented a service based architecture with cleanly defined interfaces. Each interface is only as complex as it needs to be. So changing the behavior is only as tough as providing your own implementation. Some interfaces are easy to implement, others are tougher.

I have found that if I am are having difficulty with some aspect of eXo it is probably my knowledge and not a problem with eXo. So if you have trouble, I'd recommend reading the documentation. There have been a number of times the answer to my problem was well documented. So RTFM! Second, ask the eXo team. They are extremely accessible, knowledgeable and helpful.

Lastly, the eXo team has been extremely open. They have also implemented an innovative mechanism for attracting and rewarding contributors.

I very much appreciate the work the eXo team has published and think they should be congratulated on their 1.0 release!
  41. Congrats to the eXo Team[ Go to top ]

Congratulations to the eXo team for this 1.0 release ! It is a great milestone and I know how much effort you have put into this release (one only need to check your uptime on Yahoo Messengers to verify it).

eXo is the first JSR168 Portal Server to get XWiki integration and I have to say that integration was easy thanks to the responsiveness of the eXo team. What are the other Portal servers doing in this area ?

Also I've been impressed by the amount of work you have put on the documentation of the 1.0 release which is created using XWiki !!! I need to do the same for XWiki.

PS: I confirm that the hosting company is having responsiveness issues. Sometimes you get the page without getting the CSS files. Reloading usually solves the problem after a while. I'm having the same problems with XWiki.com which is hosted on the same machine.
  42. eXo Technologies[ Go to top ]

The technologies used seemed cool but any chance eXo could be using RIA technos any soon such as Flex or Laszlo?

I believe the future is in Rich Internet Applications creating enterprise portals using Struts, Cocoon , JSF is all very nice but its not revolutionary.

However I do believe that open source platforms such as eXo are very handy if you need to start building a platform , eXo provides you with the foundation to start with. Still using dynamic layout or skins seems like complicating one's life when you can use just switch from jsp to a Flash UI.

regards,
          Javed
    http://javedmandary.blogspot.com
  43. did not work[ Go to top ]

acts weird on my firefox web view..
  44. did not work[ Go to top ]

Can you tell us the strange behavior please, so that we can diagnosis the problem. Thx
  45. According to the licensing terms, it seems that those that are using exo in their companies may have made their corporate apps GPL. Where can I get access to these newly GPL'd apps?

Technically, exo has greate features. From a business prespective, the commercial license pricing seems prohibitive for someone betting and experimenting with a portal platform for a company. It tells me exo is willing to sacrifice mindshare which means less community and less marketshare.

Jetspeed2 is really coming along dragging it's Apache license with it.

Any thoughts?
  46. I haven't examined eXo or Jetspeed deeply (just deployed and tried to use, both) but at first sight i tend to Jetspeed (woth the v2...). At first sight, without examining deeply...
    Because
    - jetspeed has been there for longer time (scores in maturity or experience)
    - Apache licence, as you said.

But i admit that i must take both for a real test drive to choose...
  47. amen to that brother. the way I see it they've a long way coming to that 3-6 K for a dual cpu box, with NO SUPPORT included (that's another 20% of the license fee, so if I have a 4way box and you have a single cpu box, and a bug in com.exo.whatnot.Foo hits us both, it's costing me 4 times what you pay to get it fixed... right, that makes sense).
  48. Support is indeed not included in the basic fee (some customers do not want support) but warranty is and if you get a bug we will have to fix it for the people who have purchased the commercial license while it is not the case in the GPL license.
  49. exo jcr support[ Go to top ]

hey benjamin and company, congratulations to a very early on, very current, independent jsr-170 (proposed final draft) content repository implementation.

great job.
  50. exo jcr support[ Go to top ]

Thanks David

That is great news that the JCR final draft is out.

We will implement the changes as soon as possible.

Once again great spec

Cheers
  51. PRESS RELEASE LINK[ Go to top ]

Here is the press link

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=109&STORY=/www/story/02-14-2005/0003019368&EDATE

Cheers