Atlassian Releases JIRA 3.1

Discussions

News: Atlassian Releases JIRA 3.1

1. Atlassian Releases JIRA 3.1 (15 messages)

Sydney, Australia – February 18th 2005 – Atlassian Software Systems today announced the release of JIRA 3.1, the latest release of the company's flagship, professional issue tracking application. With over 80 new features, bug fixes and improvements, JIRA 3.1 continues Atlassian’s commitment to frequent, quality software updates. JIRA is now used by project managers, developers, managers, testers in over 2,500 organisations across 35 countries.

Managing a project's issues, tasks and bugs is a critically important task, but it is one that few teams do effectively. JIRA helps organisations take control of the issue tracking process by providing a simple, intuitive yet powerful web-based interface - highly usable by both technical and business users alike.

JIRA 3.1 improves on the successful 3.0 release. Amongst the 80 new features, bug fixes and improvements, JIRA 3.1 introduces customiseable CSV import capabilities, a much-improved SOAP and XML-RPC remote interface, and even more powerful plugin capabilities. In addition, this latest release improves performance and cross-browser compatibility.

NASA, Lockheed Martin, Raytheon, Boeing, Oracle, Novell, Samsung, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, 3M, BP, GE, Sony, AOL, Pixar, BMW, Pfizer, Vodafone, World Bank, United Nations, Citigroup, McDonalds and many, many more companies – over 2,500 in total – all take advantage of JIRA’s flexibility to integrate it into their business.

JIRA's commitment to extensibility and interoperability allows it to integrate into any enterprise environment. JIRA supports HTTP, SMTP, REST, RSS, full XML-RPC and SOAP interfaces, as well as allowing Java code to be deployed into the application, a plugin system to deploy extensions, and the ability to connect to the database directly via a published data model or use a full XML import/export facility. That's 10 full data access methods for those out there keeping count.

JIRA's openness extends even to its innovative and fair licensing scheme. JIRA's per server licensing mean customers are not forced into per-user or per-project licensing models, and include 12 months of free support and updates. Commercial licenses also include full source access, ensuring complete transparency and enabling customers to customise JIRA to their specific requirements.

Mike Cannon-Brookes, Atlassian's CEO and member of the exclusive Who's Who of Enterprise Java explains that it isn't just JIRA's openness that attracts customers. "We compete with Open Source solutions every single day, with both our products. We're used to it. Source access is one of a number of value points customers consider when purchasing. Price, service, features, ease of use and a host of other areas are all critical. Our success, and in particular JIRA's success, is attributable to the fact that our products frequently exceed expectations in all these areas."

JIRA really is exceeding the expectations of organisations. Thorsten Vogel of CodeRush said it best: "I have been working with Java since its release. JIRA is the best software package I have found for managing issues. The quality of the JIRA application itself is outstanding! Setup and configuration are very easy, and the interface is great. Performance is fantastic. I also get positive feedback from clients' senior level management, they like the reports and capabilities. It seems you have created a close-to-perfect application! My clients love me for introducing JIRA. Thank you for this unique product." You can read more remarkable customer testimonials here.

With over 80 new features, bug fixes and improvements, JIRA 3.1 presents an even stronger reason to evaluate JIRA. To download a fully functional free evaluation, try an online demo, or just find out more, click here

To see the full JIRA 3.1 release notes please click here.

PRODUCT AVAILABILITY AND PRICING
    JIRA 3.1 is available now via Atlassian's web site. JIRA's fair, upfront and equitable per-server licensing policy includes unlimited projects, users and issues, full source access plus free upgrades and support for 12 months. JIRA is a J2EE, web-based application which runs on any platform and supports almost any database. Existing customers who wish to upgrade, or new users who wish to try out Confluence for 30 days can download either the standalone or WAR distributions from the Atlassian JIRA website

ABOUT ATLASSIAN SOFTWARE SYSTEMS
    Atlassian is an innovative Australian software company providing enterprise software solutions to the world's leading organizations. Our mission is to build a different kind of software company, one that listens to client needs, values innovation in development and solves customer problems with brilliant simplicity. Atlassian's commitment to legendary service provides consistent, high quality support for all our customers. Atlassian also publishes Confluence - The Enterprise Wiki.

CONTACT INFORMATION
    Ben Naftzger
    Sales & Marketing Director
    Atlassian Software Systems Pty Ltd
    +61 2 9299 8761
    www.atlassian.com

Threaded Messages (15)

2. great stuff[ Go to top ]

Jira is great stuff:

http://jira.jboss.com

Bill
  3. great stuff[ Go to top ]

I agree with Bill, JIRA is just great. All our clients use it and they actually get annoyed if we have to take down our JIRA server :) for maintenance.

We just updated our support for another year, and given the level of service you get and the number of updates it is well worth it.

On a note of interest, the new 3.1 version has quite a nifty CSV import which makes putting all your features for a new project onto JIRA much simpler.

Rob
  4. great stuff[ Go to top ]

Jira is great stuff:http://jira.jboss.comBill

JIRA is probably the best issue tracker which exists.
    I am using it both for day time job and open source projects.
    But it is not "great" - some parts of it are barely usable
    (e.g. work logs, issue filtering).

Other thing is that recent releases (including this) are not
    providing anything new and features which are needed for enterprise users
    e.g. ability of defining visibility of field per user permission, hierarchical organization
    of projects (take a look at codehaus jira dashboard - it is barely usable as one level of grouping is simply not enough)

So honestly I am rather disappointed about this release.

I am writing those words hoping that someone fom attlasian is reading them and jira will actually become "great stuff".

Michal
  5. great stuff[ Go to top ]

Jira is great stuff:http://jira.jboss.comBill
    JIRA is probably the best issue tracker which exists.I am using it both for day time job and open source projects.But it is not "great" - some parts of it are barely usable(e.g. work logs, issue filtering).Other thing is that recent releases (including this) are notproviding anything new and features which are needed for enterprise userse.g. ability of defining visibility of field per user permission, hierarchical organizationof projects (take a look at codehaus jira dashboard - it is barely usable as one level of grouping is simply not enough)So honestly I am rather disappointed about this release.I am writing those words hoping that someone fom attlasian is reading them and jira will actually become "great stuff".Michal

I do agree. We recently bought a jira license after a brief evaluation process, and even if it surely is a good product I find it's far from being the coolest thing in the world as everyone seems to think on the net. The interface is pretty polished, and feature-wise it's a good product: but after a week of continuous use one begins noting roughs spots.

Consider the user logins: there is NO feature for changing user logins. Take a look at the db: user logins are used as keys, and as such they're denormalized everywhere. If you started using the software and at some stage you want to settle on a common standard for usernames, you can't: unless you follow the advice that people give on the forums, i.e. export in xml format, do a search and replace, and re-import. I tried, but something went wrong, and after re-importing I couldn't login neither with the new neither with the old user name.

Consider the issue types: they're not configurable per project. So if you want to use your JIRA installation for different purposes, say as a normal bug tracker for software, and as a tool for internal communication with customer care (which reasonably won't use issue types such as "bug" or "feature", but things like "connection problem", "usability problem" and so on), or even if you want to use different sets of issue types for different kinds of software projects, you can't: and this is pretty strange, for a product which is otherwise incredibly configurable.

I also find it's pretty weak in areas where it could be better, but which aren't normally seen as "bug tracking software" areas: a software like jira could be a very useful tool for project management in general, but the related features are just too weak, as of now.

This is only to talk about the bad part we've found while using jira: the good part is known by everyone (and we agree with it, too).
  6. great stuff[ Go to top ]

|
    |user logins are used as keys, and as such they're |denormalized everywhere
    |

Thats done for pluggable user management support. You dont have a FK when you have external user management...

However, I agree with you, there should be a facility to change username. Its not required often - but its extremely useful when it is required.

While Jira has been very successful for us, I am hoping that some of the less-glamorous enterprise-level features get implemented in the next iteration.
    1) Delegated Administration
    2) Administration Audit trail & notifications
    3) Clustering
    4) Even more rigorous pre-release testing

-Nick
  7. Atlassian Releases JIRA 3.1[ Go to top ]

We use it. We like it.

Looking forward to getting 3.1 up ..

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  8. Recently purchased both Atlassian products as a package deal. Initially we were mostly interested in JIRA to replace our Bugzilla installations, but also decided to bundle in Confluence, thought it would be useful long term but didn't see the immediate impact.

However in a short space of time Confluence has become one of the most used and important applications within our organization. It spread like wildfire. Still haven't rolled out JIRA fully (waiting for multiple Subversion repository support) but we like what we've seen so far.

Atlassian has done an excellent job with both of these products, they're very slick. Highly recommended.
  9. Missing Enterprise Features[ Go to top ]

JIRA is great and I'm using it in our company and open source projects. But we are still missing several (enterprise) features like

- JRA-3907: LDAP authentication
    - JRA-1392: Store external user management details in the database
    - JRA-1962: Allow completely externalised LDAP user management
    - JRA-3157: Jira Administration Audit trail / notifications
    - JRA-2398: Support NTLM authentication
    - JRA-4299: Enhance Seraph SSO support to create users automatically
    - JRA-3156: Required: Project Group Administrator

and

- JRA-4153: Email annoucement by releasing a version
    - JRA-2431: Bulk Move
    - JRA-2427: Bulk Resolve/Close

Thanks Atlassian for JIRA!
  10. Love jira, but want to say I hate the CVS configuration process. I'm hoping 3.1 brings a less time consuming way to add individual CVS modules to a project. I brought this up with Atlassian when we purchased the product. It is a royal PITA to configure modules in 3.0.2. We've got 79 modules in one of our CVS repositories I've only configured a fraction of them in hopes that an easier way will come along. How about retrieving the modules file or scanning the CVSROOT a'la Eclispe and letting us pick modules from there.
  11. (mis)use for helpdesk[ Go to top ]

Has anybody considered (mis)using JIRA for recording helpdesk calls?
    Our current helpdesk system is sort of okay in itself but it doesn't really integrate with other systems we have. We are really getting into using Sharepoint a lot recently and I think we can make a lot of use of the custom RSS feeds from JIRA to feed both project sites whilst we are building a system and then support sites once the system is live.
    I think we would divide our supported services up into projects (which we already do to a cetain extent) and import all the Active Directory users into the system somehow so that calls can relate to a specific user.

Rick Lawson.
  12. In part of our organisation, Jira is being considered to manage all issues.
    The ability to specify reporter (essential for helpdesk) is new in 3.x
    What particular issues [sic] were you interested in?
    -Nick
  13. We break our helpdesk service down into what we refer to as Services (e.g. Desktop, WAN, Project, Oracle Financials etc). I'd like to define these as projects in JIRA. I'd like to define sensible workflows to move calls around.
    I'd like to get sensible reports out.
    And the killer app is... using the RSS feeds of the calls on projects to feed Sharepoint sites.

One thing I havn't workied out how to do just yet - I'd like to be able to assign an issue to a group, rather than a user - then any user in the group can resolve that issue.

Rick
  14. |
    |I'd like to be able to assign an issue to a group
    |

We have users with the same desire. The same end can be achieved a different way - and IMO its better.

1] Seeing the team's issues
    Create a shared filter for the group "Assigned To Us" of all issues assigned to members of said group. Get the team/group to display the contents on their dashboard.

2] Team is notified of new issues
    Modify the Notification Scheme so that the members of said group get an email on CreateIssue

Its not perfect - sometimes the assigners wont know who the assignees are - but they know the name of the team.

But its also better than assigning to a group:
    1) You have visibility of individual workloads
    2) There is sense of personal responsibility to the issues assigned to oneself.
    3) Anyone chasing the issue up has a real human to contact (rather than an anonymous group).

-Nick
  15. RE: (mis)use for helpdesk[ Go to top ]

Yes. I have seen Jira successfully used this way at a number of small and medium sized organizations in Japan and the US. The ability to define helpdesk related issue types and integrate with confluence to manage FAQs and Wiki knowledge bases is very useful in this context.

Daniel Leuck
    Ikayzo
  16. Sharepoint + JIRA + SSO?[ Go to top ]

We have also been trying to integrate Sharepoint with JIRA through the filters as feeds RSS mechanism in JIRA.

The one sticking point we have so far is that without authentication, the RSS returned is empty, and the only mechanism at present that JIRA seems to support is adding the username and password into the URL, which we don't really want to do.

Since things seem to work okay if the user is already authenticated once in JIRA during the web session, we were looking at methods for logging into JIRA transparently at the same time as the user logs into Sharepoint, since the credentials are the same for us. This would suggest some sort of SSO solution that both sides could live with.

Has anyone implemented something like this?

--dan