Discussions

News: Compuware OptimalJ 3.3 Released

1. Compuware OptimalJ 3.3 Released (18 messages)

Compuware has released OptimalJ 3.3, the latest version of its enterprise application development and integration environment for J2EE.

OptimalJ is a practical implementation of the Model-Driven Architecture (MDA) standard from the Object Management Group (OMG). OptimalJ uses configurable transformations to automatically translate business models into working applications based on J2EE patterns. By generating as much as 80% of an application’s code from models, OptimalJ enables organizations to rapidly respond to change, increase development efficiency, and dramatically decrease maintenance costs.

OptimalJ 3.3 is available in three editions:

* The Developer Edition, powered by IntelliJ IDEA, focuses on developers responsible for implementing and testing a design.

* The Professional Edition, aimed at the full development team, includes modeling and code generation capabilities

* The Architecture Edition is for advanced J2EE architects. In addition to all the features of the Professional Edition, it includes the pattern-authoring functionality that allows architects to tailor the model transformations to their needs. An example would be to have the business model generate Hibernate objects instead of EJBs for persistence.

OptimalJ 3.3 has these important new features:

* User Interface Designer. As part of the process of modeling a Web interface, developers define pages, add desired widgets to them, and then bind the widgets to the relevant data elements or back end methods. Once a page is modeled, OptimalJ generates JSPs and related code that require little if any editing. The page designer works in conjunction with an improved Web Flow Designer that models page navigation and simplifies production of Struts artifacts.

* SAP Integration. The iWay SAP Adapter provides a standards-based environment that enables SAP R/3 business objects to be used and reused in Java applications. OptimalJ automatically generates all the complex Java plumbing code required to invoke SAP business objects natively via JCA interfaces.

* Integrated Requirements Management. OptimalJ 3.3 can import business requirements captured using SteelTrace’s Catalyze (http://www.steeltrace.com). This combination of Catalyze and OptimalJ, gives development teams an integrated, role-based solution for requirements management and enterprise application development that provides realistic methods for sharing critical information within the development process.

* Editions for WebLogic. OptimalJ for WebLogic 8.1 is designed to let architects and developers use OptimalJ as the environment to model applications, convert the model into working Beehive artifacts and then easily test deployment to the WebLogic Server.

Visit http://javacentral.compuware.com for more information on current OptimalJ releases, including downloads and white papers.

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Developer Edition - $2200?[ Go to top ]

Wow, I was surprised by the price of your Developer Edition.

IntelliJ is only $500 to buy from JetBrains directly. What I wonder is that with OptimalJ Developer edition, do I just get a $1700 plugin?

Further to that, I'm wondering if the Developer Edition is useful by itself, or does it expect that you have other roles on the team using the other products...

OptimalJ Professional Edition for $6,000
    OptimalJ Architecture Edition for $18,000

That's a lot of cake guys!

Cheers,
    Clinton
  3. Developer Edition - $2200?[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ is only $500 to buy from JetBrains directly. What I wonder is that with OptimalJ Developer edition, do I just get a $1700 plugin?
    Actually, you get two plugins:
    1. the performance profiling tools of Compuware DevPartner
      Java™ Edition for troubleshooting performance and memory
      analysis and code coverage
    2. the dependency analysis tool for examining packages, classes, methods and fields from Compuware OptimalAdvisor
    Further to that, I'm wondering if the Developer Edition is useful by itself, or does it expect that you have other roles on the team using the other products
    The Developer Edition is useful 'by itself' for a single developer doing code-centric development. However, that is not the primary use case for the tool. The intention for the tool is to provide a world-class IDE for the Developer role in the model-driven development team. The addition of DevPartner and OptimalAdvisor is a nod to the reality that most Java developers have to both work on new projects and maintain existing ones; IntelliJ IDEA + DevPartner + OptimalAdvisor all have features that are strongly focused on improving existing code.
    OptimalJ Professional Edition for $6,000
    OptimalJ Architecture Edition for $18,000
    That's a lot of cake guys!
    Clinton, try it out on a project, and let me know if you think it delivers that much value...

Mike Burba
    Compuware
  4. Developer Edition - $2200?[ Go to top ]

Clinton, try it out on a project, and let me know if you think it delivers that much value...Mike BurbaCompuware

What's the minimun cost to get started? Can you suggest a cheaper alternative to CompuWare?

PS: Were you able to use an MDA approach in the development of your MDA tools?

Cheers,
    Clinton
  5. MDA bootstrapping[ Go to top ]

Greetings Clinton,

The answer to your question is "Yes" we did use MDA techniques to build portions of OptimalJ's various editions. Naturally we didn't use MDA to build the whole thing, but a fair bit of the underlying infrastructure of OptimalJ was built using models and code generation.

I can't go into great detail, but one example would be the XMI serialization and MOF repository features. We used our MOF Modeler (included in the Architecture Edition) to create models like our domain class and service models, and we generated the repository APIs for the models users work with in the Professional Edition. Think of it this way. We used the Architecture Edition to build the Professional Edition of OptimalJ. That should tell you something of the power you get with the Architecture Edition.

As for the Developer Edition in IntelliJ, I'm admittedly biased, but I think it's pretty great for stand-alone Java development also. IntelliJ by itself is an outstanding IDE, but when you add in things like "break on new branch" where debugging and profiling are completely integrated, you have some really slick and powerful tools at your disposal. I also learned to like the dependency analysis on compile feature. It gives you a great way to visualize your overall application at as it comes into being. (And yes, you can turn that stuff off if you really want to, but there isn't really a performance hit that I noticed.)

As Mike mentioned, the Developer Edition was designed to play a role in an MDA shop (Compuware's "big" story), but our "little" story in this case is that this ends up being a very cool IDE.

For the record, I work for Compuware as a Software Architect.

Regards,

Michael Murphree
  6. Starting costs[ Go to top ]

What's the minimun cost to get started?
    That varies widely by the type of project you're using the product on...but to do a model-driven development project, you need at least a copy of OptimalJ Professional Edition (OJPE). OJPE has complete modeling functionality, all the out-of-the-box transformations, and an integrated editor / debugger. You can build a complete application with OJPE, but again, the intention is for the product to be used by a collaborative development team.
    Can you suggest a cheaper alternative to CompuWare?
    You're kidding, right?

Mike Burba
    Compuware
  7. Alternative[ Go to top ]

<clinton>
    What's the minimun cost to get started? Can you suggest a cheaper alternative to CompuWare?
    </clinton>

You can use following tools:
    1. UML tool: MagicDraw (not so expensive, Standard is enough for 500$) or PoseidonUML Community Edition for free.

2. AndroMDA for the transformation Model-to-Code/Model-to-Text -> Open Source. You have many "cartridges" (transformation rules) which are ready-to-use:
    EJB, Hibernate, BPM4Struts, Java, XMLSchema, Spring. We (EJOSA) add some cartridges: Language Translation (Model-to-Model), Cost Calculator for J2EE App. Development, Ant Build Files for J2EE Application Generator, Enhydra-XMLC, Eclipse RCP (in development). Check this article for more information:
    http://www.jaxmagazine.com/itr/online_artikel/psecom,id,653,nodeid,147.html

I'm doing the integration of Model-to-Model transformation tool from MTL (also Open Source, very nice Model-to-Model transformation tool) into EJOSA right know, so that we can also support Model-to-Model transformation. A small article about this is to come... :-)

3. Eclipse/Ant/Maven for your IDE -> Open Source.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just for your information, if you want to begin with MDA concept...

BTW. I suggested to Vic, that he maybe could write an AndroMDA cartridge for iBatis... Would be really cool!
    Check out this thread:
    http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=31837#157192

Now back to the real thread... Congratulation to Compuware OptimalJ. IMO, Compuware is an outstanding company which has huge knowledge in MDA area (Wim Bast is very active in MDA research AFAIK). Surely OptimalJ is targeted for big enterprises, just the same as Borland, etc...

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  8. Alternative[ Go to top ]

[...]

2. AndroMDA for the transformation Model-to-Code/Model-to-Text -> Open Source. [...]

Not to forget the open architectureware generator framework, available at SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/architecturware): very nice, very easy to use. It provides "out-of-the-box" instantiators of XMI models for many UML case tools, a "core" meta-model, which can be easily extended to implement your own domain specific language, a generator engine, working on an in-memory representation of your model (i.e. independent of the case tool's XMI) and using a very intuitive template language, eclipse integration, ant integration, means for merging several models into a single in-memory representation, not limited to UML (or better XMI export of your UML model), you may also use (nearly) arbitrary XML, etc., etc.

There are many more features, but those mentioned above are the ones I've tried.

Oh, yeah ... and it's open source.

Regards,
        Dirk
  9. Alternative[ Go to top ]

Yes, IMO, AndroMDA and ArchitectureWare are using almost the same concept...
    - Both are specialized in Model-to-Code/Model-to-Text transformation.
    - Both products have its own advantages.

Would be surely the best way if they can join and put the best parts into the product :-) Anyway, let's wait for the final version of both products (which is very nearly AFAIK) and we can compare those products a bit more in details. But that is another story, this is an OptimalJ thread... :-)

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  10. Alternative MDA-Tool[ Go to top ]

In my opinion the most flexible MDA tool on the market is ArcStyler. Customizable for your projects needs with regard to transformations (m2c, m2m) and plugin in your own little gimmicks. I think this is important, since a project is never a standard vanilla project.
  11. Developer Edition - $2200?[ Go to top ]

Hi , im very CURIOUS to check this out.
    How much time it will took until you review a evaluation reques and send it a response ?
    I ask for an evaluation download but still there is no response.
  12. Downloads[ Go to top ]

Hi , im very CURIOUS to check this out.How much time it will took until you review a evaluation reques and send it a response ?I ask for an evaluation download but still there is no response.

Masoud,

The download for Developer Edition should have started immediately. Just checked our site, and the downloads worked for me. Contact me at mike DOT burba AT compuware DOT com and I'll get you a trial.

Mike Burba
    Compuware
  13. thinking in the MDA way[ Go to top ]

Congradulation, OptimalJ!

If you do not understand how the MDA methodology can save the development and maintainance cost, then you do not know why the tool is so "expensive".

Just put the mind in another way, how much do you pay for a developer? if a tool can save you several developers when you expand your business, do you still think it is "expensive"?

-Han
  14. thinking in the MDA way[ Go to top ]

if a tool can save you several developers when you expand your business, do you still think it is "expensive"?-Han

If you consider developers an asset (like I do) then yes, I would consider it very expensive!

Cheers,
    Clinton
  15. Not zero sum[ Go to top ]

If you consider developers an asset (like I do) then yes, I would consider it very expensive!
    Cheers,Clinton

I think that this oversimplifies things a bit. This is not a zero-sum game. When you decrease the cost of building an application (e.g., through increased productivity), you exponentially expand the domain of applications that are cost-effective to build. The end result is that more jobs are created, not fewer. This is not the first time in the history of computing that increased productivity has led to increased demand for applications / programmers.

So if you truly consider developers to be assets, you should do everything possible to make them more efficient.
  16. Does this work as advertized ?[ Go to top ]

1) Can I build n tier Application ? Say I want to build a CMS solution , can I spend a month or two and have this working using your tool ?

2) Say I want to integrate the said CMS with an existing solution, can this software read in existing APIs and use them ?

3) What if I want to add Flex/Java applet widgets -- will your generated UI break ?

4) Custom Libaries : I havent build any application that did not use Caching libraries, batch processing and scheduling etc. using third party libraries . How does this tool support that ?
  17. Does this work as advertized ?[ Go to top ]

1) Can I build n tier Application ? Say I want to build a CMS solution , can I spend a month or two and have this working using your tool ?
    Yes. OptimalJ includes transformations for an n-tier architecture out-of-the-box.
    2) Say I want to integrate the said CMS with an existing solution, can this software read in existing APIs and use them ?
    A qualified yes. You can't support everything, but we believe that OptimalJ has broader support for integration than any Java development tool on the market. OptimalJ integrates with Java, Web Services, JMS, CICS, IMS-TM, terminal data screens / green screens, WebSphere MQ, CORBA, and the list goes on...
    3) What if I want to add Flex/Java applet widgets -- will your generated UI break ?
    No. The 'generated UI' is simply code. So you can add the Flex/applet widgets into the appropriate parts of the UI manually. All changes to generated code are preserved when code is regenerated during an iterative dev cycle. If you want to consistently generate Flex/applet widgets in your application, you can create custom transformations to do so.
    4) Custom Libaries : I havent build any application that did not use Caching libraries, batch processing and scheduling etc. using third party libraries . How does this tool support that ?
    Similar to the UI, you can either manually add code that uses the custom libraries in the appropriate parts of the application, or you can create / modify transformations to generate the code consistently.

Mike Burba
    Compuware
  18. Does this work as advertized ?[ Go to top ]

1) Can I build n tier Application ?
    Yes (default application structure is 3-tier).
    Say I want to build a CMS solution , can I spend a month or two and have this working using your tool ?
    That depends on the complexity of your CMS and how quickly you are able to learn OptimalJ. Were you an experienced OJ user and the CMS application reasonably straightforward, I'd answer yes.
    That depends on what you mean. Can you import Java libraries and model the invocation of public methods they expose? Yes (and OptimalJ will generate the correct code). Can OptimalJ automatically map to new frameworks? No. The Architecture Edition gives you the tools to implement your own MOF-based modeling languages, your own model-to-model transformations, and your own code generators (using a template language). Using these features, you could rearchitect part or all of the MDA solution delivered in the Professional Edition.
    No, but the generated UI won't use your widgets. On the other hand, if you "teach" OptimalJ how to generate code for your style of UI, it will do that happily (the beauty of an MDA toolkit--you control transformation and generation).
    I know we use several open source libraries/frameworks and have written a few of our own that we distribute (as source) with OptimalJ, but I don't know enough to fully answer your question (apologies).

- Michael
  19. Just FYI: Mike's answer to the widget question is more accurate.