Struts/MySQL/Tomcat error - Unavailable Exception

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Struts/MySQL/Tomcat error - Unavailable Exception

1. Struts/MySQL/Tomcat error - Unavailable Exception (2 messages)

Hello Everyone-

I am having a problem which seems to be very common, in that I have seen several posts on different forums describing the same thing, all of them without replies. The problem that I am having is this:

I am using Struts, and I describe a MySQL datasource in my struts-config.xml file:

<data-source key="AQUAINT" type="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource">
          <set-property property="description" value="AQUAINT Sample Data"/>
          <set-property property="driverClassName" value="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"/>
          <set-property property="user" value="username"/>
          <set-property property="password" value="password"/>
          <set-property property="url" value="jdbc:mysql://"/>
          <set-property property="auto-commit" value="false"/>

All of this looks fine and good to me. I deploy the .war file to Tomcat (version 5), and get an error. Here is the first few lines of the rediculously long stacktrace:

005-02-23 13:43:30 StandardContext[/iTrack]Marking servlet iTrack as unavailable
    2005-02-23 13:43:30 StandardContext[/iTrack]Servlet /iTrack threw load() exception
    javax.servlet.UnavailableException: Initializing application data source AQUAINT
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.initModuleDataSources(
        at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.init(
        at org.ccg.itrack.struts.framework.ITrackActionServlet.init(
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(

I have made sure the user and password combination are correct, and can successfully connect to the database using the command-line mysql client. I have also made sure that the commons-dbcp and required jars are in the correct places and that the mysql driver (com.mysql.jdbc.Driver) is correctly installed (in my WEB-INF/lib directory).

Has anyone actually managed to FIX this problem? Is there something that I'm missing? A possible version conflict? Compatability issues between org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource and com.mysql.jdbc.Driver? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks,

2. I managed to get this working, but not using struts. What I do is create a JDBC DataSource in Tomcat, and make it available to my application via JNDI. What sparse coverage I have seen of these issues seems to indicate that this is the de facto way to handle this.
  3. Hi,

You can visit

This tutorial is all about configuring Struts Datasource On Tomcat 5.5.9.