Discussions

News: Hibernate 3.0 goes to production

1. Hibernate 3.0 goes to production (50 messages)

Hibernate 3.0 is production ready with today's announcement of release candidate 1, timed with this weeks JBoss world conference. Brand new in this release include HQL bulk/update delete queries and relational/XML schema mappings for reporting, data import/export and messaging.

Read Gavin King's announcement.

Download Hibernate 3 release candidate.

Threaded Messages (50)

2. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

I cannot jump to Hibernate 3.0 right now.
    Because it is soooo convenient to use Spring Hibernate support classes and AOP interception for handeling Hibernate sessions, that i'll wait until Spring has Hibernate 3 support.
  3. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

I cannot jump to Hibernate 3.0 right now.Because it is soooo convenient to use Spring Hibernate support classes and AOP interception for handeling Hibernate sessions, that i'll wait until Spring has Hibernate 3 support.

I use spring and HB3 since aplha 1. I implemented unofficial support for HB3 (see JIRA SPR-300). Had no problems. Official support for HB3 in spring should be implemented once 1.1.5 is out.

Artur
  4. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

I'll wait until Spring has Hibernate 3 support.
    You won't need to wait long. However, I don't think a release candidate can reasonably be called a "production" release.

Congratulations to the Hibernate team, however, on drawing nearer to Hibernate 3.0 final.
  5. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

However, I don't think a release candidate can reasonably be called a "production" release.
    One man's RC is another's (Whatever version Windows is). :)
  6. ^_^[ Go to top ]

However, I don't think a release candidate can reasonably be called a "production" release.

dude,It's just RC1 or RC2...like hibernate 3.0.1,3.0.2 fix bugs..who care?

congratulations Hibernate!
  7. not quite[ Go to top ]

they have not updated their site to reflect 3.0 documentation, and all I see is a rc1 download how does this constitue "production"?

I was expecting everything to be "done" when its labeled "production" (like spring does).

Great work to the hibernate team, looking forward to 3.0.

(is their site down now?)
  8. not quite[ Go to top ]

The website works fine. And yes, it is "done", but there are one or two known issues (documented in readme.txt) in the brand new query parser that need time to fix. No reason to delay everyone else.
  9. oh[ Go to top ]

Were the 3.0 docs just added, or was I just going blind?
    connectivity must have been with my provider.

when will the xml mapping feature be (non) experimental?
    this sounds cool.
  10. oh[ Go to top ]

Were the 3.0 docs just added, or was I just going blind?connectivity must have been with my provider.when will the xml mapping feature be (non) experimental? this sounds cool.

Where do you see this feature at?
  11. xml mapping[ Go to top ]

Were the 3.0 docs just added, or was I just going blind?connectivity must have been with my provider.when will the xml mapping feature be (non) experimental? this sounds cool.
    Where do you see this feature at?

http://www.hibernate.org/21.html#A11
  12. xml mapping[ Go to top ]

Thanks. Found it in the pdf docos too.
  13. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

I cannot jump to Hibernate 3.0 right now.Because it is soooo convenient to use Spring Hibernate support classes and AOP interception for handeling Hibernate sessions, that i'll wait until Spring has Hibernate 3 support.

Its like 10 lines of code. Why don't you just write it yourself and contribute it back?
  14. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

Its like 10 lines of code. Why don't you just write it yourself and contribute it back?

Not that simple.
    Hibernate 3 implements many features that Spring Hibernate classes provide now. Like AOP interception.
    I do not want just replace package names.
  15. I'm tied to Spring[ Go to top ]

Ten lines of code ? Which logarithmic scale are you using ?
  16. Spring rocks ![ Go to top ]

Actually I think Spring really rocks !
    Don't understand why you would use hibernate without Spring.

Bill
  17. Spring rocks ![ Go to top ]

Actually I think Spring really rocks !Don't understand why you would use hibernate without Spring.Bill
    Haven't had time to put it all together? I'm debating whether or not to get the book.
  18. Spring plus plus[ Go to top ]

Agreed, Spring is the framework of choice!

I like to use it for explicit property setting; not really down with autowiring or constructor inits, as these become problematic with more complex models or when order-of-init issues arise.

It's good to see all the progress in the O/R area here. Many developers are still grinding away trying to use big iron to solve small problems, when Spring/ Tomcat/ JDO/ HB provide such effective and powerful solutions.

The key is coding what you need, aka the application, keeping it clean, and using tools to wire & map the parts together.

Cheers,
    Thomas Whitmore
    www.powermapjdo.com
  19. Can someone recommend a decent tool that I can use to reverse engineer hbm and java pojos from a existing schema. Our Oracle DB schema has 300+ tables .

Middlegen is pretty unsuable for this as the its UI begins to look like a jumble with all the tables and relationships drawn togther on the same panel.

Thanks
  20. Its one of the goals for our eclipse plugins.

Any input on what features you want (besides just being able to refator tables) is very welcome.

/max
  21. To start with, allow the user to select a bunch of tables and then define relationships, directionality etc. for the selected tables.

Allow for iterations of reverse engineering.In a compex schema, its hard to defne all relationship for a table at one go; we want to define a relations to a table in several iterations. Of course , this means that the POJOs and hbms also need to be updated per iteration.

Middlegen tries to do all at once and the result is a big mess.
  22. Take a look at JAG[ Go to top ]

http://jag.sourceforge.net

It generate your app either from UML or Database and you can target several app servers and persistence mechanisms including Hibernate 3

JL
  23. not much problem with Spring and H3[ Go to top ]

look again..spring already suports hibernate 3...(even though these two kids have beef with each other)
  24. This is great news, hibernate is a tremendous product and hibernate 3 adds a lot of really usefull features and improvements (projection on criteria / filters)

By the way, the lack of projection support in h2 criterias forced me to write quite tricky hql query building code I am refactoring tonight ;-) Can't use h3 though, RC1 is for friday.
  25. Book Update?[ Go to top ]

Congrats to the Hibernate team!

Any thoughts given to updating the (really good) Hiberate In Action? Would love to see a Hibernate 3.0 update to that book. One of the few I've actually read cover to cover.
  26. Book Update?[ Go to top ]

Yes, a second edition is in the work and should be available end of second quarter. There will be changes (and many additions) throughout the book but I'd still consider the current edition to be an excellent resource even for H3.
  27. Fixes to Memory Leak on Redeploy?[ Go to top ]

Would anyone know if Hibernate 3 has fixed its memory leak when redeployed from inside a webapp? Due its use of CGLIB and DOM4J, it would leak memory when its webapp was unloaded (it was not able to release to WebAppClassLoader).

Hopefully Hibernate 3 has fixed this, and I can keep my servlet container running all through development. :)
  28. Fixes to Memory Leak on Redeploy?[ Go to top ]

This issue has been extensively discussed here

http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=935948

and it's not really Hibernates problem but dependend on your deployment. Read the thread for solutions.
  29. hibernate goes castor[ Go to top ]

with the new addition of xml mapping to entity data, hibernate now have all the features in the ORM world plus a feature was unique to castor which is xml mapping ,actually this make hibernate is the cornerstone in any MVC application as the modelis the relational side and the view is the xml side ,u provide only the controller
  30. hibernate goes castor[ Go to top ]

with the new addition of xml mapping to entity data, hibernate now have all the features in the ORM world plus a feature was unique to castor which is xml mapping ,actually this make hibernate is the cornerstone in any MVC application as the modelis the relational side and the view is the xml side ,u provide only the controller

I'm curious, how is this related to Castor? IIRC, Castor does O-X. Hibernate is claiming experimental R-X -- i.e., it's not a JAXB implementation, etc.

- Don
  31. I neeeeed Xdoclet support[ Go to top ]

I'd just love to upgrade my current project to Hibernate 3 but I'm so in need for Xdoclet to support it first. :-(
  32. why don't you take a look at Annotation? It is as easy as XDoclet, and you don't need ant task to use it.

(jdk5 required)

Anthony
  33. why don't you take a look at Annotation? It is as easy as XDoclet, and you don't need ant task to use it.(jdk5 required)Anthony
    IMHO Java 5 is a far more impacting requirement than the use of ANT (or maven)
  34. excuse me, i was just advising to take a look at annotations (it is good to know how to use it), not to force someone to change his JDK.
    Xdoclet works great, no problem, sorry if i've made a mistake.

Peace,
    Anthony
  35. JDK1.5[ Go to top ]

For wide-scale adoption, support for older JVMs is essential.

Where I work, we are just now proposing a migration to JDK1.4, and 1.5 is not even on the table.

I guess all those early adapters throw away current investment and jump on new technologies are happy, but we sorry sods who work in big companies with slow adoption/migration cycles will just have to be happy with JDO or Toplink (or Castor or Torque...), which runs just fine on non 1.5 JVMs.
  36. JDK1.5[ Go to top ]

but we sorry sods who work in big companies with slow adoption/migration cycles will just have to be happy with JDO or Toplink (or Castor or Torque...), which runs just fine on non 1.5 JVMs.
    Of course, Hibernate3 works perfectly with older JDKs. Hibernate Annotations provides you a brand new and innovative way of describing your mapping. You'll not bite Hibernate for providing an *extra* capability, will you :-)
  37. JDK1.5[ Go to top ]

Yes...
    I'm stuck with JDK1.3.1 (WebSphere 5) and will be for at least 1-2 years more.
    We will then jump to IBM JDK1.4.2 Service Release 30 :)

Pedro Costa
  38. So I finally came around to do it. I downloaded and installed Jboss 4.0.1 SP1 and their EJB3-module with annotations and it rocked! :-)
    I really looking forward to EJB3 final!
  39. XDoclet workaround - risky?[ Go to top ]

I agree that it's a problem with the XDoclet support not working with Hibernate 3 and I think it's a bit early to base tools on Java 5. I wish Java 5 adoption would be faster but it's not. Maybe the Codehaus annotation backport project could solve this.

Some time ago I upgraded my project from using 2.1.7 to Hbm 3 beta and I use a primitive approach for making this work. After the Hibernate doclet has been executed by ant I simply change all 2.0 dtd references with 3.0.

<replace dir="${src-gen}/hibernate" value="3.0">
      <include name="**/*.xml"/>
      <replacetoken>2.0</replacetoken>
    </replace>

This seems to work in my case, but I don't use any exotic mappings.

// Torben Norling - Bluefish AB / stacktrace.se
  40. I offered XDoclet team via email and JIRA entry to do the upgrade to 1.2.2 but no reply or interest from them. It does add weight to the suggestions its a dead project.

This work around is a start I suppost just remember some of the default, good example is lazy=true by default now, has changed.
  41. And JDO 2.0 was approved![ Go to top ]

Hooraaaay!

Cheers,
    Johan Strandler
    Smart Connexion
  42. I need hbm2java in hibernate3[ Go to top ]

I like all the cool eclipse plugins for hibernate3, but it seems like getting hbm2java up to v3 has taken a back seat. I hope a newer version of it is released with v3 or very soon after.

Also (here comes a rant/plea), I don't know what would be so bad about including hbm2java in hibernate3.jar. The hbm2ddl and instrument tools are included in it, so why not add a few more kb and keep hbm2java next to its brethren? Splitting the org.hibernate.tool.* packages into separte jar files seems unecessary.

And I don't buy the "you don't need hbm2java in production" argument. I would argue it's not a good idea to update your ddl on the fly in a production environment either, and even if you did (crazy), you still wouldn't have needed the ant tasks to do it. But somehow that stuff is in hibernate3.jar...

Anyway, great job hibernate team on v3! I can't wait to use the new stuff. (And yes, I too am looking forward to spring 1.2's hibernate3 support.)
  43. I need hbm2java in hibernate3[ Go to top ]

We have reworked hbm2java in the Hibernate 3 Toolset.
    The latest alpha only showed how to do it from eclipse.

In the upcoming release we provide an ant based version of it.

If we went and added hbm2java to the core, should we also go add all the other tools ? (i assume no ,)

We might bundle them all in one big download, but the jury is still out on that . Having them as separate downloads lets us have separate releases/maintanence cycles
  44. I need hbm2java in hibernate3[ Go to top ]

We have reworked hbm2java in the Hibernate 3 Toolset.

Excellent! Thank you.
    If we went and added hbm2java to the core, should we also go add all the other tools ?

You are already including the hbm2ddl and intsrument tools in hibernate3.jar. Why single out hbm2java? If you're going to argue it's not a production environment tool then I would argue neither is hbm2ddl. (Who in their right mind would change a production database schema on the fly?) If I had a say, I would say all or nothing. Either include all the tools in hibernate3.jar and don't have a hibernate-tools.jar (my vote), or put all of them in hibernate-tools.jar and and none in hibernate3.jar. Having the split (some tools but not others) doesn't seem to make sense.
  45. Hi, congratulations for the release for the hibernate team, i got a question where can i find how to use the new HQL bulk/update delete queries, i search in the documentation of the site an could not see it
  46. Take look at

http://tinyurl.com/64cys

Artur
  47. Thanks Artur, that was what i was looking for, its a great improvement
    Gabriel
  48. HDDL[ Go to top ]

Now that bulk updates/deletes are available, I can simply implement a HQL Script Interpreter, that executes semicolon separated HQL Commands one by one.

The next step is to develop a DDL grammar on top of HQL, that allows me to create / drop / alter the tables behind the mapped Objects. Something like:

alter object org.concern.Enlistment add (timeout type=long);
    drop object org.concern.Timer;
    alter object org.concern.Log alter (details length=2048);

Then I can write database migration scripts in a totally database independent manner.

Question: is there a HQL construct similar to the following SQL construct:

insert into enlistment select id, null, timeout from timer
  49. I'm looking forward to the Hibernate 3 release. Since it's been positioned as being related to the EJB 3 efforts (JSR 220), will you have to wait until the JSR 220 is finalized to release the final Hibernate 3?

I recently heard that concern, but I did some checking and I didn't see *any* dependencies in org.hibernate.* on anything from javax.ejb.* so I am assuming that it is completely independent of, and thus not waiting on JSR 220.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters
  50. Cameron, why not have a look at our road map.
  51. Cameron, why not have a look at our road map.

Will do. With the CVS access and the zipped downloads, I don't often end up looking at the hibernate.org site in a browser.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Shared Memories for J2EE Clusters