Discussions

News: Eclipse receives major new participation and announcements

1. Numerous announcements have been coming out of EclipseCon this week including Borladd, CA, and Sybase joining as Eclipse as Board Members and Strategic Developers, following a similar announcement from BEA last week. New products and memberships from IBM, Exadel, Genuitec, Instantiations, Lombardi, OC Systems, Eneryj, and Scapa Technologies were also made and summarized here:

• Borland became a Strategic Developer Member of Eclipse Foundation. Raaj Shinde, vice president of product strategy and Architecture at Borland will take a seat on the Eclipse Board of Directors. Borland will use Eclipse as a base for their product line and will also commit developers to building out better modelling tools for the Eclipse community.
    • Computer Associates became a Strategic Developer Member of Eclipse Foundation and will take a seat on the Board of Directors. The company joined Eclipse as member in December 2004 and was elected to lead the TPTP Monitoring Tools project, a sub-project of the Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) Project.
    • Sybase became a Strategic Developer Member of Eclipse Foundation, and will be represented on the Board of Directors by Vice President of Engineering, David Tong. Sybase has been a member of the Eclipse Organization and Eclipse Steward since 2002.
    • BEA joined the Eclipse Foundation as a Strategic Developer and Board Member. BEA was elected to co-lead the Web Tools Platform (WTP) project. BEA is proposing a new Language Development Tools project and is also merging its open source AspectWerkz project with the Eclipse AspectJ project.
    • IBM announced new tools and resources for building Apache Derby database applications in Eclipse and a earlier this month announced Web Tools for Eclipse which include source editors for HTML, Javascript, CSS, SQL, XML, DTD, XSD, and WSDL; graphical editors for XSD and WSDL; J2EE project natures, builders, and models; a J2EE navigator; a Web service wizard and explorer; WS-I Test Tools; database access; and query tools and models. IBM has also been appointed to lead the recently-created Eclipse Voice Tools Project, giving developers a standard way to write speech applications.
    • Exadel, a leading provider of advanced Open Source infrastructure development software and services, announced a significantly enhanced version of Eclipse4Web, adding an Interactive Web Flow diagram for editing Struts configuration file editor, a Struts Project view for advanced drag-and-drop use with the JSP editor, Code generation wizard to automatically create stub code for Struts Action, FormBean, Forward, and Exception classes and Advanced customizable tag palette for use with editors.
    • Genuitec announced MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench 4.0, adding UML round-trip modeling tools, WYSIWYG JSP/Struts designer, visual Hibernate/ORM tools, Spring and web services support, and new Oracle database developer tools.
    • Instantiations announced that it has begun shipping EclipsePro, a new product line specifically designed for professional Eclipse developers. EclipsePro Audit delivers dynamic code audit and code metrics capabilities. EclipsePro Test offers powerful JUnit test case generation and code coverage analysis.
    • Lombardi Software, developer of TeamWorks a BPM platform, joined the Eclipse Foundation as a provider member. TeamWorks integrates Eclipse with its Shared Model architecture, the only non-proprietary, model-driven execution environment. Four plug-ins are offered: the new Coach Designer, Process Modeler, Process Simulator and Process Inspector.
    • OC Systems announced its membership in the Eclipse Foundation. OC Systems has joined as an add-in member and will be developing a version of RootCause that will be an add-in for the Eclipse Test and Performance Tools Platform Project.
    • Scapa Technologies, an independent vendor of application performance testing, diagnosis and monitoring software, became a Strategic Developer with the Eclipse Foundation. CEO Dr. Michael Norman joins the Eclipse Board of Directors. Scapa Technologies has been a member of Eclipse since June 2002.

Threaded Messages (21)

2. JSR-198 "A Standard Extension API for Integrated Development Environments" is dead. Eclipse effectively killed it.
  3. Netbeans = Sun (w/ minimal market share)
    Eclipse= Everyone else.

I can see 2 Java version as next step. Mustang(Solaris Desktop) from Sun, vs easy to deploy and open standard Java/

Finaly, the break we have been waiting for. Now Java can evolve independent of Sun.
    Now we can take on .NET and PHP.

.V
  4. <Noise>
    Most of the time, the light at the end of a tunnel is a speeding train approaching :-)
    </Noise>
  5. Light at the end of the tunnel[ Go to top ]

Netbeans = Sun (w/ minimal market share)Eclipse= Everyone else.I can see 2 Java version as next step. Mustang(Solaris Desktop) from Sun, vs easy to deploy and open standard Java/Finaly, the break we have been waiting for. Now Java can evolve independent of Sun.Now we can take on .NET and PHP..V

Why is SUN an issue and IBM is not an issue?
  6. Light at the end of the tunnel[ Go to top ]

Netbeans = Sun (w/ minimal market share)

Since when has market share been a measure of quality? I'm not saying Eclipse is bad (I think it has great features), but by this argument we should abandon any desktop use of Linux or MacOS, as both are 'w/ minimal market share'.
    Now we can take on .NET and PHP..V

Surely you can take on .Net and PHP (if you want to) more effectively with an IDE which has app server support and GUI designer fully integrated? But anyway, I really don't see how which IDE you use has any relevance here.
  7. Borland !!![ Go to top ]

Borland already has most of the IDE codebase atleast twice (JBuilder and their acquisition of Together)

It will be interesting to see them go in a totally different direction with eclipse. Hopefully, their new JBuilder (or whatever they call their eclipse based IDE) retains some of the neat features of JBuilder.

I'll be particularly interested to see their new IDE be able to develop and deploy for multiple App servers. Most of the current AppServer specific IDEs (Like WSAD and Workshop) make it really hard to write portable code, or work with a different App Server.
  8. Borland !!![ Go to top ]

From their press release I don't see anything about new IDE based on eclipse. All they say is that they will lead a project for ALM tools for Eclipse and I'm sure we will see much better integration into Eclipse from Starteam, Caliber and Toghether.

Also current JBuilder has this multi App Server support which is somthing no one else have.

All IDE's including Eclipse can be used to develope for one app server that is owned by the iDE vendor and in the case with Eclipse you can use it to develop for many servers but once selected you can't switch verry easy to another application server.

Doychin Bondzhev
  9. Borland !!![ Go to top ]

Also current JBuilder has this multi App Server support which is somthing no one else have. All IDE's including Eclipse can be used to develope for one app server that is owned by the iDE vendor and in the case with Eclipse you can use it to develop for many servers but once selected you can't switch verry easy to another application server.Doychin Bondzhev

Wake up (and smell the coffee:-)

Firstly Eclipse doesn't support ANY application server out of the box, but you can get several plug-ins that does this for you. Eclipse is a foundation that provides the infrastructure to easily make this kind of plug-ins. One of my favourite Eclipse plug-ins is the $30 MyEclipseIDE, which is a set of Eclipse plugins that among lots of other things support 20 application servers (both commercial and Open-source) very well.
  10. Eclipse no more free[ Go to top ]

The days of a free and powerfull ide are gone.
    The functions more interesting cost something
  11. The days of a free and powerfull ide are gone.The functions more interesting cost something

And what do you feel have changed since version 1.0 of Eclipse? There have always been a free basic version offered as Eclipse, and the much more advanced Eclipse-based WSAD.

The only difference now (as I can see it), is that we have a lot more big & powerful companies guaranteeing that the platform will continue to move forward...
  12. Eclipse no more free[ Go to top ]

The days of a free and powerfull ide are gone.The functions more interesting cost something

In fact, it's vice versa. What you used to get "back in the old days" was an eclipse with which you could edit and compile Java source code (slightly exaggerated). Now, you get WTP, TPTP, etc. ... and that's all for free.

So, what are the " functions more interesting" that you are speaking about, that were included in eclipse and that are now no more?

Regards,
        Dirk
  13. IBM engineering[ Go to top ]

Interesting to hear Borland picking up on Eclipse. Bet they'll use it as a base, for everything *but* JBuilder.

Having working with the insides of Eclipse, I really like the quality of IBM's engineering. Eclipse is also beautifully fast & slick, compared with the versions of NetBeans and JBuilder I've used.

Was also impressed with IBM engineering elsewhere, eg Jikes BT. Did some work with the Borland OpenTools and it's simpler/ easier but just doesn't seem the same league as far as power goes. No comment on WebSphere though, this is a different kettle.

Rational stuff on Eclipse -- well, Rational could get the UI wrong on *anything*. 18 clicks and 45 seconds to set the cardinality on an association...

Having worked thru the UML and Process for a while, I have become strongly skeptical of the relevance to non-trivial design tasks. Has anyone here produced any other artifact than a Class Diagram, which illustrated anything useful other than what a pretty diagram you have ?

Cheers,
    Thomas Whitmore
    www.powermapjdo.com
  14. Eclipse no more free[ Go to top ]

The days of a free and powerfull ide are gone.The functions more interesting cost something

Sorry for the plug, but it sounds like you haven't tried NetBeans 4.1.
  15. agree netbeans 4.1 is really good[ Go to top ]

I tried netbeans4.1 beta. loved it . very fast and responsive. i am currently using eclipse with lomboz for j2ee development but i am starting to like netbeans very much. Junit and Ant integration is really great. and the Quick start guides are really short and clear.
    probably i might switch over once they announce the real release
  16. Just to update u more.
    I also have worked on Eclispse and Netbeans both. This new version of NetBeans 4.1 is excellent, it runs like anything. Eclispse is too slow.
    Support for Ant and other tools are also excellent.
    I tell you, these all partners won't be able to beat Netbeans as they don't have superb coders and Architects as SUN is having.
    The Eclipse plugin arch is stolen from NB, could be modifed in better way.
    Borland has almost lost the market in the field of IDE(s) and Intel, hehehehehe, what u expect from Intel. Intel will never support SUN backed NB as SUN is having strong partnership with AMD (strong competetor of Intel) BTW, partnership with Intel has nothing to do with Java.

Following are the few partner list which are supporting NB(s). Kindly take a look :)

ACElet
    Aligo
    Apogee
    Aqris
    Art Technologies Group
    Baltimore Technologies
    Bantry Technologies
    Bevocal
    Bind Systems
    Canyon Blue
    Cavasoft
    Cincom Systems
    Codehound
    Commerce Events
    Compuware
    Corda Technologies
    Covigo
    Crisp Wireless
    DS Data Systems
    Datamirror
    DigiSlice
    Drala Software
    Elansoft
    Eliad Technologies
    Embarcadero
    ESRI
    Etnus
    Flamenco Networks
    Flashline
    Fresher
    Gemstone Systems
    Gentleware
    Goldstone Technologies
    HYWY Software Corp.
    Headway Software
    Hit Software
    Induslogic
    Infravio
    Innominds Software
    Instantis
    InsiTech
    Interad Technology
    Intrinsyc
    Iona Corporation
    Iopsis Software
    Ipedo Inc
    JSIS Tools
    Jcorporate
    Jinfonet
    Killdara
    LogicFlow Inc.
    MAKE Technologies
    Mercury Interactive
    Mesh Software
    Modelistic
    Netclue
    Netdirect
    Nexaweb
    No Magic
    OC Systems
    Object Frontier
    Optimyz Software
    Oracle
    Parasoft
    PointBase
    PolarLake
    QA Systems International BV
    Qtech
    Quest Software
    Radview Software
    Reqwireless
    S5 Systems
    SIP Technologies
    Serena Software
    Siemens
    Snaptwo
    Software A.G.
    Synchrony Systems
    Systinet
    Talarian
    Telelogic
    Thor Technologies
    Thought Inc.
    Total Transaction Management
    Virtuas Solutions
    VistaPortal Software
    VisualSoft
    Yospace
    Zentek Technology, Inc.
    Zero G

Few of them are very good companies and with bright vision. For egs, Embarcadero Technologies have just given its UML tool which is OMG certified to Sun ONE Studio. Soon it will be intergrated to NetBeans also, I think ;)

If u really want imagine NB future then I really request u to pls try Sun Java Studio Enterprise 7.0.
    You will get to know everthing.

Give Me J
    Sanjeev @ Induslogic Inc.
  17. I tell you, these all partners won't be able to beat Netbeans as they don't have superb coders and Architects as SUN is having.The Eclipse plugin arch is stolen from NB

I don't think this is really true as there is many skilled people in "both camps". also component model and architectures
    are not that similar

Note also that Netbeans License is turning it into slightly less attractive platform then Eclipse for enterprises planning to build their solutions on top of it.

Michal
  18. Okay,
    but what sort of licensing u r talking about ?
    Both are open source and I don't think that u need to have a license before using NB. Am I wrong ?
    Yeah for SJSE 7.0 u need to have strong license(s), infact very strong license(s) :(

Pls update.

Give Me J
    Sanjeev
  19. Okay,but what sort of licensing u r talking about ?Both are open source and I don't think that u need to have a license before using NB. Am I wrong ?Yeah for SJSE 7.0 u need to have strong license(s), infact very strong license(s) :(Pls update.Give Me JSanjeev

You have every many open source licences.

AFAIK (INAL)

Eclipse uses Common Public License which is BSD like.
    Netbeans uses Sun Public License which is LGPL like.

So you can easly write "closed source" commerical plugins/addition for Eclipse, but not for Netbeans.

That's why eclipse is a better choice for enterprises trying to be innovative as they can still make money on it.

So you won't see thing like MyEclipse plugin for Netbeans.

Michal
  20. ...yet.

I think this is an amazing development. The more Open Source the better.

Congrats.
  21. One thing people seem to forget is that Netbeans is also progressing rapidly...

Web/JSP/JSF development
    J2EE (EJB) development
    Performance/Memory/Thread profiler
    JDK 1.5 support
    ANT based project structure
    etc.

Netbeans 4.0/4.1 with JDK 1.5 is fast, probably as fast or faster than eclipse.

So eclipse is gaining a lot of momentum from vendors. So now every vendors IDE will look exactly the same but with different plugins. That's fine and I wish them the best of luck...

but have any of you seen Rational XDE? It is based on eclipse and it's interface is one hell of a complicated mess with a rediculous number of buttons/panes all over the screen to the point that there is hardly any room for coding. I sure hope that all the other vendors don't follow in IBM's path. The much simpler/cleaner interface of Netbeans is refreshing after using XDE for a while.

I don't care how many vendors like eclipse. I want the tool that works best for what I do (not what vendors *want* me to do), and how I do it.

Netbeans is the superrior IDE for web development and is the IDE of choice for many, eclipse or no eclipse.

Mike
  22. One thing people seem to forget is that Netbeans is also progressing rapidly

I am afraid that more participants in eclipse fundation - simply may mean that the progress of the platform will be actually much slower then faster. Simply there is more interested parties, which have their own particular interests and visions. Those interests may clash and decison taking will be even more dificult. It will be a bit like Java with JCP verus .NET.

So honestly I would be suprised if Netbeans (which still lacks some features coparing to idea or eclipse) was progressing in the slower pace then Eclipse.

Michal