JavaToolbox, a Directory of development tools for Java launched

Discussions

News: JavaToolbox, a Directory of development tools for Java launched

1. JavaToolbox is a new directory of the existing development tools, libraries and plugins for Java/J2EE. It lists freeware, open source, as well as commercial products, all organized in multiple categories.

There is still a lot of tools to add to the site, but it should grow quickly. RSS feeds are available to let you know about updates. Currently JavaToolbox references more than 110 tools in 38 categories.

Visit http://JavaToolbox.com

Threaded Messages (13)

2. You got to be kidding[ Go to top ]

A java toolbox site developed in APP.NET ?
  3. You got to be kidding[ Go to top ]

That's because they had a c# toolbox called SharpToolbox before they had a Java one. I'm guessing they weren't going to recode it in Java just so they could say it was written in Java. :)
  4. You got to be kidding... Why?[ Go to top ]

A java toolbox site developed in APP.NET ?

Maybe you need to know that TheServerSide.NET is built with Java and is well accepted within the .NET developer community... Because the technology used to build a site is one thing, content is another. Nobody really cares nowadays as far as the sites are fast and reliable.
    ASP.NET is just a technology to build web sites. Those web sites can be about a lot of things like politics, music, cocktails, and even software development.

TSS.NET uses the same engine as TSS.COM. JavaToolbox uses the same engine as SharpToolbox
  5. TSS.NET uses the same engine as TSS.COM.

Really? I seem to remember reading something about TSS.NET being ported to ASP.NET. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.
  6. I seem to remember reading something about TSS.NET being ported to ASP.NET. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.

They did try but they gave up... Maybe the technology was too difficult or not as powerful as Java ;-)
    It's interesting to know that TSS.NET is hosted on Linux. This may explain that.
    If you look at the history here, you'll notice that they started with Windows, but quickly changed for Linux...
  7. I seem to remember reading something about TSS.NET being ported to ASP.NET. Maybe I'm just imagining it though.
    They did try but they gave up...

We did try and we were successful :). TSS.com was ported to run on .NET. We had a separate instance of TSS.com and TSS.NET running on .NET for 9 months. Maintaining two code bases is what was challenging and we decided to migrate to a common codebase, which was deployed in Q3 2004. Now TSS.NET and TSS.com run on the same infrastructure.

Tyler
    Former TSS Guy
  8. You got to be kidding... Why?[ Go to top ]

Typical. you guys are getting hung up what it is coded on. How about what's actually on the site itself.

I did two searchs, one for Framework and one for source control. 3 and zero results respectively.

Looks like this collection is very immature. Next to useless in its current state.

Cheers.
  9. Don't worry[ Go to top ]

Don't worry, we're actively working on this :-)
    It won't be long before the content gets more furnished.
  10. Don't worry[ Go to top ]

I would add that quality takes time.
    We are not just listing tools as some sites do. We work hard to provide valuable and detailed information about each product, not just text copied quickly from the authors' sites, which more than often is crippled with marketing fluff.
  11. It should include most XML mapping/schema frameworks as code generators e.g Castor, JAXB etc.
  12. You got to be kidding... Why?[ Go to top ]

Maybe you need to know that TheServerSide.NET is built with Java and is well accepted within the .NET developer community... Because the technology used to build a site is one thing, content is another. Nobody really cares nowadays as far as the sites are fast and reliable.ASP.NET is just a technology to build web sites. Those web sites can be about a lot of things like politics, music, cocktails, and even software development.

+1 (bold)
  13. try java-source.net[ Go to top ]

Try java-source.net for an OSS-centric repository of tools.
  14. Both SharpToolback and JavaToolbox were asleep when I looked...

It could happen to anyone.

Thomas
    www.powermapjdo.com