Discussions

News: Oracle announces EJB 3 Preview at TSS Symposium

1. At TheServerSide Java Symposium today Oracle announced that it is shipping an EJB 3.0 preview. Along with the container they have 15 EJB 3 How to's and code samples, and 4 detailed technical papers available.

Checkout the EJB 3 Preview and code samples.

Chief Architect of Application Developnent Tools Ted Farrell demonstrated EJB 3 and JSF during his keynote. He had the container embedded in JDeveloper which allowed for real quick code demo's without needing deployment. He also demo'd JSF and showed how the UI could be deployed across a browser, rich client and mobile device using JSF renderkits, which looked really cool.

Threaded Messages (29)

2. WOW[ Go to top ]

It's nice to see big vendors are accepting EJB3. Hope it means bright future for most exciting features in EJB3. On the other hand it means we shouldn't wait "for years" for credible implementations of EJB3 from biggest players. We, currently, plan to port big financial application to EJB, but decided to wait for EJB3.

ps. If I see correctly - Oracle EJB 3.0 persistence is backed by toplink.

Artur
  3. WOW[ Go to top ]

If I see correctly - Oracle EJB 3.0 persistence is backed by toplink.

It is, absolutely.

- Don
  4. WOW[ Go to top ]

looks like the ejb3 and jsf will be a mainstream in near future

I am developing an app based on the ejb2.1 and jsf and with right tools my productivity is quite high

I am able to make a CRUD for one single relational table in 10-20 minutes

df
  5. WOW in 10 minutes[ Go to top ]

looks like the ejb3 and jsf will be a mainstream in near futureI am developing an app based on the ejb2.1 and jsf and with right tools my productivity is quite highI am able to make a CRUD for one single relational table in 10-20 minutesdf

can you specify what kind of tools you are using ?if you generate all source code in a wizard style then you can claim such thing , and existance of such tools could be very wonderfull .
  6. WOW in 10 minutes[ Go to top ]

looks like the ejb3 and jsf will be a mainstream in near futureI am developing an app based on the ejb2.1 and jsf and with right tools my productivity is quite highI am able to make a CRUD for one single relational table in 10-20 minutesdf
    can you specify what kind of tools you are using ?if you generate all source code in a wizard style then you can claim such thing , and existance of such tools could be very wonderfull .

1) SUN Java Studio Enterprise 6 and SUN Java Creator (free for 30 days); SUN app server 7.1 PE (completely free even for production)

2) I would not call them wizards; they are 2 way (GUI <-> source code) tools

3) EJBs are seen as single objects; if you click on the object you can see other 3 subobjects: 2 interfaces and one class; it is automatically synchronized with XML descriptors; entity beans are created from DB schema; I just add the business interface and create and find methods; for session beans I also add only business interfaces and business logic

4) EJBs are wrapped by BD and DAO interfaces (and implementations if necessary)

5) in Creator I drag and drop the GUI (table and buttons). From GUI I map bean properties from BD (usually collections of entity beans) or I call BD methods (create, update, delete).

6) if I do not want to use entity beans (OR mapping) I use the JDBC, which is also wrapped by DAO abstraction; JDBC DAO takes longer time to implement

As I said simple CRUD for simple DB table takes me about 10-20 minutes. And both tools are quite flexible for basic refactoring.

Also in my case the EJB3 will not bring me too much, because the above mentioned tools take care of the EJB 2.1 bloated API disedvantages.

Also I do not use rich OO design model, so EJB 2.1 is OK for me.

SUN's entity EJBs are implemented by SUN's JDO, so perfromance and scalability should be OK also.

DF
  7. java oohh java[ Go to top ]

EJB Big, Fat, Slow and Costly.
    the only reason to use it is my arogant customer ask for it.
  8. EJB Big, Fat : not always true[ Go to top ]

EJB Big, Fat, Slow and Costly.the only reason to use it is my arogant customer ask for it.
    EJB are useful in some case (distributed transaction, exposing remote services through IIOP or webservices).
    True they should not be used for everything but your statement is as stupid as saying EJB is a silver bullet solution. EJB are very useful when used in the right place.
  9. WOW[ Go to top ]

It's nice to see big vendors are accepting EJB3.

It is not that the big vendors are accepting EJB3. It is that some big vendors (incumbents such as those who owns either Toplink or Hibernate) are pushing EJB3! Sad people like you are brain washed.
  10. WOW[ Go to top ]

It is not that the big vendors are accepting EJB3. It is that some big vendors (incumbents such as those who owns either Toplink or Hibernate) are pushing EJB3! Sad people like you are brain washed.

nobody "owns" hibernate, sad people like you are uninformed, a groundswell of opinion that ejb 2.1 is crap ( i said it years ago ) is driving ejb 3.0 .....

read up ... then post ...
  11. WOW[ Go to top ]

nobody "owns" hibernate, sad people like you are uninformed, a groundswell of opinion that ejb 2.1 is crap ( i said it years ago ) is driving ejb 3.0 ..... read up ... then post ...

So you already knew EJB2.1 was crap as a freshman at colleage or as an intern at JBoss? No wonder how well informed you are.
  12. Whose slide rule is the biggest?[ Go to top ]

Jeesh, this is like watching pre-teens argue over who's the better Dungeon Master... :-(
  13. WOW[ Go to top ]

It is not that the big vendors are accepting EJB3.

Could You name one?
    It is that some big vendors (incumbents such as those who owns either Toplink or Hibernate) are pushing EJB3! Sad people like you are brain washed.

Aha!:) Another frustrated person, who even doesen't understand that EJB3 != Persistence. And yes this is, actually, sad.

Artur
  14. WOW[ Go to top ]

We, currently, plan to port big financial application to EJB, but decided to wait for EJB3.ps. If I see correctly - Oracle EJB 3.0 persistence is backed by toplink. Artur

You can start prototyping to migrate your applications to EJB3 with our preview and give your feedback whether the EJB 3.0 specification is going in the right direction.

- Debu Panda
    Product Manager, EJB Container
    Oracle Application Server Development
    http://radio.weblogs.com/0135826/
  15. Shocking isn't it[ Go to top ]

Yes ... big surprise.
  16. Shocking isn't it[ Go to top ]

Yes ... big surprise.

Considering that:

1. EJB 3 is a major paradigm shift,
    2. EJB 3 is in very early stage,
    3. There are counter-propositions around

actually, it is!

Artur
  17. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Yes ... big surprise.

Even more shocking,

Two vendors (JBoss and Oracle) pushing EJB3 were presented as "big vendors are accepting EJB3".
  18. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Yes ... big surprise.
    Even more shocking,Two vendors (JBoss and Oracle) pushing EJB3 were presented as "big vendors are accepting EJB3".

hey george, perhaps you could use one of these

http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Perhaps JBoss is using mind control as well.

--b
  19. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Yes ... big surprise.
    Even more shocking, two vendors (JBoss and Oracle) pushing EJB3 were presented as "big vendors are accepting EJB3".
    hey george, perhaps you could use one of these http://zapatopi.net/afdb.htmlPerhaps JBoss is using mind control as well. --b

Nop.

Even it's deceitful, it's far from "mind control".
  20. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Nop.Even it's deceitful, it's far from "mind control".

PS. "it" = "big vendors are accepting EJB3"
  21. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Nop.Even it's deceitful, it's far from "mind control".
    PS. "it" = "big vendors are accepting EJB3"

Your replacement is ambigious. Which "it" are you replacing with the substitution? I know I'm dying to know, I'm sure countless others are too.

- Don
  22. Even more shocking[ Go to top ]

Even the statement "big vendors are accepting EJB3" is deceitful, it's far from "mind control".
  23. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Big ups to the Oracle guys on this release, and on how well presented it is (!), I especially like all the samples. This is what we need more of, lots of actual example code to show off how nice the EJB3 programming model really is. It's hard to appreciate that from a spec document, you have to actually see the code.

Cheers,
    Gavin
  24. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Big ups to the Oracle guys on this release, and on how well presented it is (!), I especially like all the samples. This is what we need more of, lots of actual example code to show off how nice the EJB3 programming model really is. It's hard to appreciate that from a spec document, you have to actually see the code.Cheers,Gavin

Thanks, Gavin. As you already know, showing people the EJB3 code in talks and at conferences is about as convincing as anything can be and people respond overwhelmingly positive about it. With two great previews to try out from the two most market-gaining servers people don't need to go to talks to be convinced anymore. EJB3 is easy to use and is going to be hugely popular.

-Mike
  25. due with J2EE 5?[ Go to top ]

That's really interesting.
    The documentation seems to be lot more extensive too. That's very welcome.
    The fact that there's a preview out now suggests that it might be available for production in the near-future. The next Oracle appserver release is expected this summer. But that only implements J2EE 1.4 and EJB 3 uses Java 5 annotations, right?
    So when will this be supported and available for production? Will it be this summer or two years from then?

Groeten uit Holland,
    Joost
  26. Can't download the preview[ Go to top ]

It appears, Oracle's download site is thoroughly screwed, I am just not able to download the preview. Can somebody from Oracle look into this.
  27. Can't download the preview[ Go to top ]

It appears, Oracle's download site is thoroughly screwed, I am just not able to download the preview. Can somebody from Oracle look into this.

Vimal,
    I tried dowloading couple of times from outside Oracle network (me being in Las Vegas attending TSSJS) and the download server works great.

Are you based in the USA?

-Debu
  28. Download Success[ Go to top ]

For your information, I was also having trouble with the download, but have since successfully downloaded it. Please see this Web page for more details:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jsp?forum=36&thread=292598

Good Luck,
    Avi.
  29. RE: Can't download the preview[ Go to top ]

What URL do you get to?
    If you get to a url looking like http://download.oracle... replace it with http://download-west.oracle....

Also make sure you are logged into OTN before you download.
  30. due with J2EE 5?[ Go to top ]

That's really interesting. The documentation seems to be lot more extensive too. That's very welcome.The fact that there's a preview out now suggests that it might be available for production in the near-future. The next Oracle appserver release is expected this summer. But that only implements J2EE 1.4 and EJB 3 uses Java 5 annotations, right? So when will this be supported and available for production? Will it be this summer or two years from then?Groeten uit Holland,Joost

Yes, we are planning to include EJB3 features in a production release very soon and you do not have to wait years for using EJB3 in a production environment. The next application server release will also be certified with J2SE so that you can use annotations. We plan to support some of the EJB3 features with JDK 1.4 using XML deployment descriptors.

Please look at my blog http://radio.weblogs.com/0135826/2005/03/05.html#a127 to see the goals we set for this release.

Also look at our demo/how at http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/java/oc4j/ejb3/howtos/howtoejb30jdk14/doc/how-to-ejb30-jdk14.html that demostrates our support for EJB3 features with JDK 1.4

regards
    Debu Panda