Discussions

News: JDK 1.5.0 Update 2 is Out

1. JDK 1.5.0 Update 2 is Out (25 messages)

The second update to Java 5, JDK 1.5.0, is now available. The update contains minor security and Java Web start enhancements, as well as over 100 bug fixes.

Checkout the Java 5 download page and release notes.

Threaded Messages (25)

2. The second update to Java 5, JDK 1.5.0, is now available. The update contains minor security and Java Web start enhancements, as well as over 100 bug fixes. Checkout the Java 5 download page and release notes.

And us Mac users are still waiting for the first 1.5 release from Apple. Maybe they could call it "iJava" and get some more resources on it....

geir
  3. Next Month?[ Go to top ]

Rumor has it that MacOSX 10.4 will be out in April. Then we'll have full JDK 1.5 support.
  4. Next Month?[ Go to top ]

Rumor has it that MacOSX 10.4 will be out in April. Then we'll have full JDK 1.5 support.

True, but it's not clear why I need to upgrade my OS for this :)

geir
  5. Next Month?[ Go to top ]

What's the hurry for Java 1.5 on Max OS anyway? 1.4 doesn't stop you from writing apps, and the time you wait for the 1.5 release, means more time it spends in testing, etc.
  6. Next Month?[ Go to top ]

True, but it's not clear why I need to upgrade my OS for this :)geir

I agree. OSX is a cutting edge operating system in many ways, however it seems to be a second-class citizen for users to get an up-to-date JVM for. I would love to own a PowerBook, but frankly as a Java Developer it doesn't make sense. When Sun finally committed to releasing JDKs for Sun, Windows and Linux all at the same time, I was ecstatic. Why not for Mac? That would round it out. And don't tell me you can download it as a developer member. I personally can't afford the membership. And why should I have to pay for a full membership when all I want is the darn JDK? Sun doesn't charge for their betas or release candidates...
  7. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

The problem is more deep : Why is apple not investing much in Java ?

IMHO, it is apple personal interrest to make Java on Mac a success story.

Take example of the Mac mini, it could be a very good server machine (for small businesses server or home server), but as the Java VM version is lagging it is not so attractive it could have been.

It is Apple's only responsability now that the latests source are available on the java.net to be syncing their OSX on that. Ey, Steve, there is no reason for you to be late.

Ey, just imagine a turnkey J2EE server machine for less that 500$, MS zealots will comit suicide for that ;-)
  8. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

I have been waiting for JDK 5.0 for OS/X. Apple says it has no intention of supporting JDK 5.0 for 10.3.x. Only way to get it thru OS/X Tiger developer program.

I don't want to shell $500 for Tiger Beta. I am pissed off with Apple support for Java.
  9. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

It is extremely ironic that Windows is arguably the best platform in terms of tool support for developing Java apps. (e.g. JDKs and IDEs).

Yes, Netbeans and IDEA work great on Linux & Sun boxes, but Windows is still the best way to go if you use Eclipse/WebSphere.
  10. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

It is extremely ironic that Windows is arguably the best platform in terms of tool support for developing Java apps. (e.g. JDKs and IDEs).Yes, Netbeans and IDEA work great on Linux & Sun boxes, but Windows is still the best way to go if you use Eclipse/WebSphere.

I have found that multithreaded/windowed java
    applications generally run slower on linux than
    windows.

This is particularly true in the case of swing which
    I found to be frequently unusable in the redhat 9/
    jdk 1.4 days.

That was also when I stopped using Linux as a desktop system.

Has this changed ? I thought the problem was due to the
    X server system and P Threads, has anyone more recent
    experience with NGPTL / newer X ?
  11. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

java applications generally run slower on linux than windows. This is particularly true in the case of swing which I found to be frequently unusable in the redhat 9/jdk 1.4 days. That was also when I stopped using Linux as a desktop system. Has this changed ?

I think the problem was Gnome. Try it now, Gnome is better, to me it runs faster then Windoze (Fedora and Gentoo are free).
    I use Eclipse... and just started w/ NetBeans again.
    (it seems that Eclipse got a bit slower, and NetBeans got a bit faster - plus Netbeans has a silly Swing screen painter - good for Mock up)

Windoze usualy has most of the CPU take up by virus checkers, so they slowed down. Plus once you start using a bit of a scripting shell in Linux.. you are more effective.
    Then you have the muti window thing in X (OSX has similar).
    If you have an urge for CLR, you can Mono.

(I wonder if I can say that Windoze developers are more anoying? Also, if you want to run w/ the cool kids, boot X to text, then start UI from command prompt. )

But nothing wrong w/ CLR, CLR runs on Mac as well.

.V
  12. Eclipse better on Linux[ Go to top ]

We have been using Eclipse 3.1 on both Windows XP and Linux (2.6 kernel with Gnome 2.6) for some time now, and in our experience it's proved more stable on Linux. We get occasional problems on Windows.

Greg.
  13. But...[ Go to top ]

I thought it was "write once, run anywhwere".

This does sound more like "write once, debug everywhere."

Cross-platform is hype; it's ALWAYS parallel development. Don't buy the hype, focus on the reality.
  14. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

.I don't want to shell $500 for Tiger Beta. I am pissed off with Apple support for Java.

I have been doing development and paid hapilly $200 for which I get free Server edition of OSX(w/ Quick Time Brodcasting), XCode tools, Java 1.5 since last summer, so like 9 updates in Java 1.5 since, I get 20% of on purchases of Mac hardware, etc.

I guess you also pay full retial (user) price for Macs. Apple and most vendors (like MSN) is nice to developers, since we bring them users.

Apple is smart to keep Sun arms length. I for example use j:Rockit 1.5 on Linux instead of Sun so I can have parrallel GC, plus I do not trust Sun to make Linux JVM faster than their Solaris.

(and on Windows, I am testing GNU Classpath w/ Swing so I can use the fixed classloader, etc. and not have a Sun brand. Sun is now calling Linux Desktop "Java Desktop" and it's not even writen in Java the language. Wait till you see what Sun is calling "Java Desktop" at Java One, you'll puke. Hint: it's the oposite of JDNC)

.V
  15. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

.I for example use j:Rockit 1.5 on Linux instead of Sun so I can have parrallel GC, plus I do not trust Sun to make Linux JVM faster than their Solaris.

Sun's JVM *has* a parallel GC. Use whatever JVM you want but not testing on Sun's JVM just seems short sighted. Then again your reason for not using Sun's JVM is based on FUD about Sun not willing to make their "Linux JVM" faster than the Solaris JVM! I forget everything runs faster on the magical OS called Linux. :(

http://java.sun.com/docs/hotspot/gc5.0/gc_tuning_5.html

5.Types of Collectors

The discussion to this point has been about the serial collector. In the J2SE Platform version 1.5 there are three additional collectors. Each is a generational collector which has been implemented to emphasize the throughput of the application or low garbage collection pause times.

1. The throughput collector: this collector uses a parallel version of the young generation collector. It is used if the -XX:+UseParallelGC option is passed on the command line. The tenured generation collector is the same as the serial collector.
       2. The concurrent low pause collector: this collector is used if the -Xincgc™ or -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC is passed on the command line. The concurrent collector is used to collect the tenured generation and does most of the collection concurrently with the execution of the application. The application is paused for short periods during the collection. A parallel version of the young generation copying collector is used with the concurrent collector. The concurrent low pause collector is used if the option -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC is passed on the command line.
  16. magical os[ Go to top ]

I forget everything runs faster on the magical OS called Linux.

It seems that at least MySQL runs faster on Linux as per these guys:
    http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml?tid=152&tid=72&tid=29

It will also be fun to see comparisions of new GCJ v4 vs jRockit 1.5 JVM vs "Sun's brand" runing Netbeans, etc.
    .V
  17. magical os[ Go to top ]

It seems that at least MySQL runs faster on Linux as per these guys:http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml?tid=152&tid=72&tid=29It
    Gentoo anyway. They didn't try one of the enterprise grade distros.
  18. magical os[ Go to top ]

It seems that at least MySQL runs faster on Linux as per these guys:http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml?tid=152&tid=72&tid=29It will also be fun to see comparisions of new GCJ v4 vs jRockit 1.5 JVM vs "Sun's brand" runing Netbeans, etc. .V
    According to
    http://www.nwfusion.com/reviews/2005/022805solaristest.html
    Solaris 10 is faster than RedHat 4 enterprise for running 64bit apps on Opteron.

No Vic. I DON'T work for Sun.
  19. magical os[ Go to top ]

It seems that at least MySQL runs faster on Linux as per these guys:http://software.newsforge.com/software/04/12/27/1243207.shtml?tid=152&tid=72&tid=29It will also be fun to see comparisions of new GCJ v4 vs jRockit 1.5 JVM vs "Sun's brand" runing Netbeans, etc. .V
    These tests are still with the old Solaris filesystem. ZFS is likely to have an impact once it is released later this year.
    I know we are getting off topic, but I couldn't resist.
  20. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

Because I think they have begun to realize that Mono/C# providers a richer programming model. For example, cocoa#.
  21. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

Having developed Java apps on Win32, Solaris 9, Suse 9, and Mac OSX; native support for Java development, deployment is best on OSX. Java support is deeply integrated into OSX,so there should be a prolonged testing cycle for each major release of the JDK. I don't mean to come off as an Apple apologist, but I can certainly taking time to fully evaluate, and integrate a major Java release before deploying.
  22. Java on Apple[ Go to top ]

Why is apple not investing much in Java ?IMHO, it is apple personal interrest to make Java on Mac a success story.

I started my Java development in 1998 using Codewarrior on Mac OS 8. It took Apple so long to release an SDK for Java 1.2 (I think it was over a year) that I gave up and moved to Windows. Have been on Windows ever since as I', not prepared for my marketable skills to be lagging behind the rest of the world's by a couple of years.

As for IDEs, JBuilder is released for both Windows and OSX. Haven't seen the OSX implementation though.
  23. No web start fix[ Go to top ]

1. My reading of this 4 yerar old bug:
    http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=315&tstart=0
    lead me to belive that word smithing would be done to improve the scarry screen for the sofware publishers that are certified.

IT WAS NOT, SAME SCARY MSG. They could say something like:
    "The publishers has been certified and they certify this sofware is safe. Please deploy Java application"
    Look at how the Java Mobiel deploymnet team works.
    It's like they want to prevent Java deployment becuase we users and developers are not educated enough about security.

Also, in the chat 2 weeks ago:
    http://java.sun.com/developer/community/chat/JavaLive/2005/jl0301.html
    the deploymnet team indicated improvments.
    I asked several times: "How do you decide to weather to work on new feature or fix bugs" and the question was not answered. Deciding weather to work on bug fix or new feater is a critical tech lead decission.

2. I go to Windows Control panel, and click Java/update (when I had 1.5.0.1... it says it up to date, it does not go get .02 - I had to do manual)

3. Apple shiped Java 1.5 last summer to all the Developer members that get frequent updates. (just like MS sends updates to develoeprs.... or Gentoo :-) )
    http://developer.apple.com/java/faq

.V
  24. No web start fix[ Go to top ]

2. I go to Windows Control panel, and click Java/update (when I had 1.5.0.1... it says it up to date, it does not go get .02 - I had to do manual)
    Yup. Your JRE is up to date. At least with the update site. Guess they have not put it on the update site yet. If you had gone to www.java.com you could have seen it.
  25. www.java.com does not have update[ Go to top ]

I just went to www.java.com and all I could see is 1_5_0_01.
  26. You can download it from java.sun.com