Practically Groovy: Go server-side up, with Groovy

Discussions

News: Practically Groovy: Go server-side up, with Groovy

1. The Groovlet and GroovyServer Pages (GSP) frameworks are built on the shoulders of the Java Servlet API. Unlike Struts and JSF, however, Groovy's server-side implementation isn't meant for all occasions. Rather, it's a simplified alternative for developing server-side applications quickly and easily.

Practically Groovy: Go server-side up, with Groovy describes the GroovyServer Pages framework, which is currently aimed at producing very simple applications.

The article walks through creation of a sample web application, then shows a few simple Groovlets. After that, it goes into GroovyServer Pages itself, and refactors a sample from GroovySql, showing GSP as a good rendering mechanism.

As the author says:
    Groovlets and GSPs are the obvious choice for server-side development when the required functionality is fairly simple and needs to have been built yesterday. Both frameworks are extremely flexible and the code-to-view turnaround time is virtually unbeatable.

What do you think the future of this technology will hold?

Threaded Messages (2)

2. so why is it "better"?[ Go to top ]

Firstly - thanks for the article, its a good introduction to GSP etc.

Whilst I think groovy is extremely cool, I don't see how the
    conclusion "Groovlets and GSPs are the obvious choice for server-side development when the required functionality is fairly simple and needs to have been built yesterday." is reached.

Yes groovy has high coolness factor, and yes, the groovy language itself is quicker the java code.

The article does not build any argument to support the conclusion.

Aside from the groovy language itself, I don't see any obvious advantages over JSP with JSTL.

(and if you don't need to integrate with java, php etc).
  3. Groovy marketing[ Go to top ]

I like the name - groovy server pages. now that's hip!!

L. Kim
    http://www.webheadstart.org