Discussions

News: Crionics jPDF Suite version 5.0 released

1. Crionics jPDF Suite version 5.0 released (13 messages)

Crionics has released version 5.0 of its jPDF suite, a toolset to render, parse, and generate PDFs. New features include Acrobat 7 compatibility, JDK 1.5 compliance, and performance gains, among others. All tools are claimed to be pure Java.

jPDF Suite is a 7-in-1 software composed of:

• Creator: Draws content, graphics, images.
    • Encryption: Protects your documents.
    • Merger: Merges and splits documents/pages.
    • Printer: Prints PDFs and converts PDFs to other formats, such as JPEG.
    • Signer: Manages digital signatures.
    • Template: Fills forms and replaces images.
    • Viewer: Displays PDF content
    Free Evaluations are available at the Crionics web site, http://www.crionics.com.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. PDF resources[ Go to top ]

Sun's Javapedia contains a list of open source and commercial PDF tools:

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javapedia/PDF
  3. open soure stuff[ Go to top ]

seems like iText has many of the same features in an open source package. Here's an article about it here...

http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2003/06/18/dynamic_files.html
  4. open soure stuff[ Go to top ]

iText is an excellent package for generating simple PDF files.

jPDF Suite is composed of several products which bring Java/PDF related packages to a different level of releability and performance.

* Creator: Draws content, graphics, images,...
          * Encryption: Protects your documents
          * Merger: Merges and Splits documents/pages.
          * Printer: Prints and Converts
          * Signer: Manages digital signatures
          * Template: Fills forms and replaces images
          * Viewer: Displays PDF content

Reliability means that your engine won't crash on the first document which doesn't complies with the PDF spec.

Performance means that we know how to do it really fast and without eating up all your resources, like others do.

Hope it helps,
    Cordially,
    Olivier Refalo
  5. I would like to see a pure java api for converting microsoft office files into pdf files...There's some stuff in the works, but no one has anything for sell yet.
     You can do rtf -> pdf using the java swing viewer to do the rtf rendering, but it's not perfect.
  6. I would like to see a pure java api for converting microsoft office files into pdf files...

Printing Office docs to a PDF printer driver has always worked for me. Automating that with M$ technologies isn't too bad, and you can always hook the two together with JNI, sockets, shell script, or whatever implementation of "HST" inspires you.

Bottom line is, given how complex office files can be, it seems like using MS stuff to process them is the way most people go about it and the market needs don't really justify the development of a Java way.
  7. I would like to see a pure java api for converting microsoft office files into pdf files...
    Printing Office docs to a PDF printer driver has always worked for me. Automating that with M$ technologies isn't too bad, and you can always hook the two together with JNI, sockets, shell script, or whatever implementation of "HST" inspires you.Bottom line is, given how complex office files can be, it seems like using MS stuff to process them is the way most people go about it and the market needs don't really justify the development of a Java way.

A guy can always dream though :)

I think I'm going to do the doc conversions on a windows machines and drive the whole thing thru a web service.
  8. Open Office does that[ Go to top ]

Open Office will load a word document and save as PDF, and can be automated from Java.
  9. This product can do pure-Java Powerpoint to PDF conversion:
    http://tonicsystems.com/products/pprender/

Chris
  10. Signing PDF[ Go to top ]

jPDF sign PDF and for my company this is important.

No other open Source projects do this.

and jPDF works well
  11. Linearization?[ Go to top ]

There are a lot of PDF tools out there that do this stuff, my personal choice is BigFaceLess PDF library.

Does jPDF build linearized PDF documents?
  12. Linearization?[ Go to top ]

No jPDF does not linearize documents by default.

Linearizing a document means ordering the objects which compose the documents in a specific order (along with structures to describe it). The processing comes at a cost: ressources -> first memory, second CPU.

How would linearization perform on a 300Mb document ? Did you try with Acrobat ? minutes... if not hours.

jPDF was built from the ground up to be a releable, high performance server side component. It is meant for production environments which process 1000s of huge documents daily.

Cordially,
    Olivier Refalo
  13. Kinda expensive[ Go to top ]

I've used pdfLib, which is also licensed by CPU but is cheaper given the features you get. It's also multi-language and multi-platform.
  14. What about WordML to pdf?[ Go to top ]

Does anyone know of a pure java way to convert the Word 2003 xml format to pdf?

Pete