Discussions

TSS feedback: My Profile... Are you serious?

1. My Profile... Are you serious? (3 messages)

I'm trying to un-subscribe from theserverside.com newsletter. I went to the "My Profile" page only to find that there are about 10 new mandatory fields, one of them being my employers IT budget! Give me a break, I wouldn't have a clue how much the company I work for spends on IT and why should I tell you.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. My Profile... Are you serious?[ Go to top ]

Dan, we thank you for your patience with the new registration questions.

We don't like having to ask them either, but they give us useful demographics about our members that we can use to enhance our profile to prospective advertisers. For example, we can do things like say "hey advertiser X, we have X% members at large companies with IT budgets in this range, you should advertise here".

The better we are on the business side of the house, the more content we can offer. For example, we recently more than doubled the number of editorial resources working on TSS full time which has meant more and higher quality news, articles, etc. We could only do that because the business of TSS is doing well.

Floyd
  3. My Profile... Are you serious?[ Go to top ]

Dan, we thank you for your patience with the new registration questions.

Heh, you must have worked in tech support at some point. Very disarming...
    We don't like having to ask them either, but they give us useful demographics about our members that we can use to enhance our profile to prospective advertisers. For example, we can do things like say "hey advertiser X, we have X% members at large companies with IT budgets in this range, you should advertise here".

The better we are on the business side of the house, the more content we can offer. For example, we recently more than doubled the number of editorial resources working on TSS full time which has meant more and higher quality news, articles, etc. We could only do that because the business of TSS is doing well.

Why don't you put that explanation above the form and make the fields optional? People who find your site useful and want to help you guys out will fill it in (if they have the answers).

Not wanting to be over dramatic, but, I have to either provide you with false information (my best guess) or report your newsletter as spam (on gmail)...

Don't get me wrong, I read your news daily and think you do a great job.
  4. My Profile... Are you serious?[ Go to top ]

I'm afriad I have to agree with Dan - as someone who would like to update their profile and prehaps provide TSS with more detailed information at the same time, I find the idea of making questions that mere developer mortals like ourselves may and often don't know the answer to _mandatory_ is poor practice.

To update the fields to the best of my knowledge, I would be forced to include made-up numbers for half the questions. You can hardly sell honest user demographics if your collection methods encourage the input of false data.

Wouldn't make a point of it if the TSS wasn't such a worthwhile resource to be part of, keep up the good work - and feel to let some of us help you with what company information we DO have available !

Ben