Discussions

News: Cenqua releases FishEye 1.0: Search, RSS, Changesets for CVS

1. Cenqua has released FishEye 1.0, which provides access to a CVS repository in the following ways:
    • Tree navigation
    • Repository search
    • Historical reports
    • File annotation and differences
    • Change-set analysis
    It also provides RSS feeds for the repositories configured, and issue tracking numbers in checkin comments can be automatically linked to any issue tracking system. SVN support is expected soon.

Open source projects can apply for a free license from Cenqua.

Links:
  2. good looking tool, but would many teams find the improved navaigation that useful? we've been trialing Trac for subversion (hoping to migrate to subversion from cvs very soon) and have found the integrated ticketing, roadmapping and timelining very useful. would cenqua envisage adopting a similar path for fisheye or is it something that would need to be tied into another app like jira?
  3. More than navigation[ Go to top ]

good looking tool, but would many teams find the improved navaigation that useful?

FishEye's easy navigation is a great improvement over other browsing tools like viewcvs, but what sets FishEye apart is search, real-time stats, changeset analysis and RSS. All these features are a boon for teams, particularly distributed teams.
    we've been trialing Trac for subversion (hoping to migrate to subversion from cvs very soon) and have found the integrated ticketing, roadmapping and timelining very useful. would cenqua envisage adopting a similar path for fisheye or is it something that would need to be tied into another app like jira?

FishEye is a tightly focussed tool. Our philosophy is to provide cohesive tools that do a particular job well; tools that integrate readily into any existing development environment. FishEye easily integrates with issue trackers such as JIRA, Bugzilla etc. giving you the flexibility to choose the issue tracker that suits you.

As developers we aren't big fans of monolithic-everything-and-the-kitchen-sink applications because we prefer the flexibility to pick the best apps for each task.

Cheers,
    -Brendan
    http://www.cenqua.com
  4. I want to have a report on # of CVS commits by each developer.

Is there an open source tool that can create that?

.V
  5. maven?
  6. I want to have a report on # of CVS commits by each developer.Is there an open source tool that can create that?.V

try http://statcvs.sourceforge.net/

exactly that
  7. FishEye is interesting, but since the FOSS communities are moving away from CVS to SVN, I think they should focus on support SVN before anything else.
  8. SVN Beta RSN[ Go to top ]

Hi Han,

We are currently working hard on SVN support, and hope to have a beta out in the next few months.

Cheers,
    -Brendan
  9. SVN Beta RSN[ Go to top ]

Hi Han,We are currently working hard on SVN support, and hope to have a beta out in the next few months.Cheers,-Brendan

If we buy Fisheye now with CVS support, will we get the subversion support part of the ongoing support or we will have to pay again for a separate license?

Will one instance of Fisheye be able to connect to both cvs and subversion?
  10. If we buy Fisheye now with CVS support, will we get the subversion support part of the ongoing support or we will have to pay again for a separate license?Will one instance of Fisheye be able to connect to both cvs and subversion?

If you buy FishEye, you get 12 months of free upgrades, which will include Subversion support when it becomes available. And yes, one FishEye instance will be able to connect to both CVS and Subversion.

=Matt, Cenqua
  11. By the way, Eclipse has live Synchronize view that can show change sets for incoming changes as well as chow changesets between CVS tags or any time markers.
  12. ClearCase[ Go to top ]

I'd like to see support for us sorry ClearCase users out there. FishEye might make it usable.
  13. And it's great. We use almost entirely FOSS, but we bought Fisheye.

Fisheye is nearly real time. The searching is great, the UI is simple enough that all of our team members can use it. It allows us to get the information we need about a file (did it make it onto the branch? What has been happening there?) at a glance.

It's good enough that Fisheye's lack of subversion support has been one of the factors delaying our migration to Subversion, although Cenqua has repeatedly promised Subversion support in the near future.

(and please get some of those reports I asked for :) )
  14. And it's great. We use almost entirely FOSS, but we bought Fisheye.

I can't criticize the product itself for I haven't used it. Maybe it is as great as you say or even more than that.

But isn't it strange that you've __bought__ and have been using that thing "since last summer" and the topic title says it's version 1.0? How often do you __buy__ something of that is not even version 1.0?
  15. You'll pay for anything I slap a "1.0" sticker on? If the product is good, you get it. If it sucks, no 1.0 or 2.0 stickers in the world is going to change that. Product versions are LABELS.
  16. They had a special offer for pre 1.0 purchases that was quite attractive.

Rob
  17. And it's great. We use almost entirely FOSS, but we bought Fisheye.
    I can't criticize the product itself for I haven't used it. Maybe it is as great as you say or even more than that.But isn't it strange that you've __bought__ and have been using that thing "since last summer" and the topic title says it's version 1.0? How often do you __buy__ something of that is not even version 1.0?

As longtime readers of TSS may recall, an early release of fisheye was discussed last july in an article on TSS.

http://theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=27404

We wrangled our way into the prerelease program.