JOnAS 4.3.4 has been promoted as stable

Discussions

News: JOnAS 4.3.4 has been promoted as stable

1. JOnAS 4.3.4 has been promoted as stable (13 messages)

ObjectWeb has announced that JOnAS 4.3.4, their open-source J2EE application server, has been promoted as stable. It is the first stable version of JOnAS to be J2EE 1.4 certified.

ObjectWeb completed the certification effort to make the open-source application server JOnAS compliant with the Java 2 Enterprise Edition (J2EE 1.4) specifications in January 2005. By successfully passing the J2EE 1.4 Compliance Test Suite, JOnAS became the first non commercial open-source application server to be certified compliant with the J2EE specifications.

JOnAS 4.3.1 became the first release candidate for a stable, certified version. After correction of several bugs, version 4.3.4 has been promoted as stable.

JOnAS is a platform integrating original code with best of breed components from ObjectWeb and other open-source communities: Carol, HOWL, Ishmael, Jeremie, Jonathan, Joram, JORM, JOTM, Medor, Monolog, Perseus and Speedo from ObjectWeb; Axis, EWS, Jakarta Commons, Struts, Tomcat, Velocity, WSDL4J, XMLBeans from Apache; HsqlDB, JacORB, JGroups, Mx4J, P6Spy, XDoclet and XJavaDoc from the open-source community at large.

JOnAS is part of ObjectWeb's roster of over 80 open-source middleware components and platforms. They complement the J2EE stack with high-level, production ready components addressing business integration, service-oriented architectures, enterprise portals, business processes, workflow and advanced software engineering tools for aspect oriented programming, grid computing, transaction management, interoperability, XML processing and mobility based on open standards.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Congratulations on the Objectweb team!!
  3. Terrific Job[ Go to top ]

Bonjour ;-)

Congratulations! to JOnas team and other Object web members.The documentation and other product information at your website is superb.I have already downloaded some C-JDBC guides, which I intend to study further and see how I can plug it into my project.

Although, I have not seen JOans in action, but would definatley try this stable release as an alternative to JBoss.

Keepup the spirits.
    Vijay
  4. If you like JOnAS, you can elect it as the "Best Java Application Server" at Java Developer's Journal Reader's choice award : http://sys-con.com/java/readerschoice2004/

There are some other nomminated ObjectWeb projects such as :

- C-JDBC (Clutered JDBC) :
    * Best Database Tool or Driver
    * Best Java Data Access
    * Tool and Most Innovative Java Product

- JORAM :
    * Best Java Messaging Tool

- RmiJDBC :
    * Best Database Tool or Driver
  5. XML Spy[ Go to top ]

If you like JOnAS, you can elect it as the "Best Java Application Server" at Java Developer's Journal Reader's choice award
    Remember that the Best Java Application Server award always goes to XML Spy.
  6. XML Spy[ Go to top ]

If you like JOnAS, you can elect it as the "Best Java Application Server" at Java Developer's Journal Reader's choice award

Do you even know what you're talking about ?
  7. XML Spy[ Go to top ]

Yes he does, it's an "in joke". If I explained it to you, it would no longer be funny.
  8. XML Spy[ Go to top ]

He definitely doesn't know what he's talking about.

(Everybody knows that Jason Hunter's book on Servlets is the "Best Java Application Server".)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: Cluster your POJOs!
  9. Be interesting to see a sort of "shoot out" between JBoss, JOnAS, Sun, and, someday, Geronimo. (No slight intended to any missing free-to-deploy app servers). Yes, I know Sun is not open source, thus the "free-to-deploy" moniker.

I also note that they're certified using particular JDBC drivers against Oracle, and I'm curious how much those "details" matter overall to the certification.
  10. Be interesting to see a sort of "shoot out" between JBoss, JOnAS, Sun, and, someday, Geronimo.

Hmmm. Sys-con actually did announce an appserver shootout to be held at the Web Services Edge Conference in Boston in February 05. ObjectWeb answered positively (and I guess was the first guest to answer positively). At the end of the day, the shootout looked closer to a set up than to a shootout :) It was refactored as a panel and -- guess what? -- there was no room for ObjectWeb in the panel (I mean, some other initial guests also were discarded).

So, the shootout did not happen, but -- we're getting an increasing number of very positive reports about JOnAS (and other ObjectWeb projects) used in production.

See http://solutions.objectweb.org/stories.html for a small selection.
  11. Jonas is excellent![ Go to top ]

I used Jonas 3.3.x and I found it is an excellent Application Server. The config files are very simple, the transactions manipulations are eficcient and it supports heavy load gracefully.

I am very happy with it!
  12. The certification is valid for Linux kernel 2.6.9 and running on Oracle 10g, using an inet jdbc driver. Does anyone know why it was not certified with the Oracle jdbc driver?
  13. The certification is valid for Linux kernel 2.6.9 and running on Oracle 10g, using an inet jdbc driver. Does anyone know why it was not certified with the Oracle jdbc driver?

The Oranxo JDBC driver has been kindly made available to ObjectWeb at no cost by I-net.
  14. Oracle provided the database for free and charged for the driver then ... ? 99% would use the Oracle driver for the Oracle database. So it really makes sense to get certified with the I-net driver instead ... yup.