Performance and scalability: Performace trouble with a cluster weblogic 8.1
I have a j2ee app running on weblogic 8.1. On my own machine, a single server ... the app works fine. Performance is no problem. But when we take it to the cluster environment, 1 managed server, 2 nodes and a proxy performance has a big drop.
- Posted by: Arun Ramakrishnan
- Posted on: April 05 2005 01:07 EDT
We create jobs in the application, and save. When we do this about 10 times consecutively, at one point it just freezes for about 5-8 minutes. Usually it would take only 3 seconds to complete.
We tried looking at the GC output, but during that long freeze, there is no garbage collection happening. Or at least the server does not show any output of a gc.
The heap size has been tried at 1g and 512m but no difference.
The app has many cmps and stateless beans, no stateful session beans.
Any tips on where i should start looking to fix this? Are there some settings that should be made specifically for a cluster that we are missing?
- Performace trouble with a cluster weblogic 8.1 by Jose Ramon Huerga Ayuso on April 06 2005 15:02 EDT
- Performace trouble with a cluster weblogic 8.1 by Terry Trippany on April 06 2005 17:58 EDT
... When we do this about 10 times consecutively, at one point it just freezes for about 5-8 minutes. Usually it would take only 3 seconds to complete.We tried looking at the GC output, but during that long freeze, there is no garbage collection happening...
The solution is obvious: when you are in the middle of one of these freeze situations, you only need to send the SIGQUIT signal to both the JVMs you are using (in UNIX, you must type: $kill -3 <pid> ).
If you look at the application server console, you can find what is happening inside (you are going to see the activity of all the threads of the JVM).
Jose Ramon Huerga
The kill -3 will definitely help determine what you are hanging on at the time to get a good thread dump (make sure to look in the node manager logs to see that output). This will not kill the server. A 5 – 8 minute freeze sounds really out of the norm except in cases of high memory utilization, huge heap and a full GC.
You can use the following to determine the maximum length of any GC rather than using the WLS console to get this measure:
-XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:+PrintGCTimeStamps -XX:+PrintTenuringDistribution -Xloggc:/LOGDIR/LOGNAME.out -verbose:gc –
Then download the Sun PrintGCStats shell script and run it against your GC output as follows (assuming 4 CPU box)
PrintGCStats -v ncpu=4 LOGNAME.out
You will want to looks for a GC line that shows the stop the world full GC’s. If it matches your timeout period then you know a GC is the culprit:
what count total mean max stddev
GC(s) 2559 210.014 0.08207 5.897 0.3179
This should help.
Note it will not work with jrockit.
Thanks for the tips ... will give it a try.
if the thread dump does not help try a profiling (OptimizeIT, JProbe, ...)
i think you are far better off trying PerformaSure. I guess Jprobe and optimizeit are single instance profiling tool...
it worked for use , we had somewhat off a same problem and this tool PerformaSure told the casue of the issue
i think you are far better off trying PerformaSure. I guess Jprobe and optimizeit are single instance profiling tool...it worked for use , we had somewhat off a same problem and this tool PerformaSure told the casue of the issue
Yeah, this is true: JProbe is designed to be used in just one instance, and under a very low load. In order to see what is happening inside the application under a heavy load test, you must use PerformaSure.
Jose R. Huerga