Apache MyFaces 1.09 released

Discussions

News: Apache MyFaces 1.09 released

1. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released (16 messages)

The MyFaces team has released version 1.09, the first version released since the team joined Apache. This release includes:

• Several bug fixes and refactorings
    • Portlet support
    • New components, such as an improved Tree control, CollapsiblePanel, and selectOneCountry
    • Russian translations

External Resources:

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

Congratulations to MyFaces team with this significant event!

--
    Sergey : jsfTutorials.net
  3. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

Congratulations.

Are the components in the library usable with any JSF implementation, or just the MyFaces implementation?

Iwan
  4. MyFaces Components[ Go to top ]

Congratulations.Are the components in the library usable with any JSF implementation, or just the MyFaces implementation?Iwan

The components are usable with any JSF implementation. MyFaces is actually planning to break the components out into a separate project, which should make this fact more clear.

Kito D. Mann
    Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
    http://www.JSFCentral.com - JSF FAQ, news, and info

Are you using JSF in a project? Send an e-mail to trenches at jsfcentral dot com and you could win a free copy of JavaServer Faces in Action!
  5. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

Congratulation !

Apache MyFaces team has released version 1.09 ! (http://myfaces.apache.org/)

Baostone
  6. 恭喜[ Go to top ]

恭喜
  7. Any Samples ?[ Go to top ]

Are there existing websites or case studies using MyFaces or other JSF implementation ?

Note : I meant Real-World examples..not students websites ;-)
  8. Any Samples ?[ Go to top ]

We're working on a website that's completely in JSF (http://europeanshoppingmall.com) which is currently in beta. Although the site is fully up-n-running, there are still some glitches that need to be fixed.

The web-frontend is developed using SUN Java Studio Creator using the JSF implementation it comes with.

Apart from that, I am working with a customer on an intranet application that uses IBM's implementation of JSF bundled with WebSphere 5.1.2 (and WSAD) which is slated for production this summer. It uses some MyFaces components.

Iwan
  9. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

JSF is a very powerful technology which seems to be struggling to take off. This new release from MyFaces is a milestone towards making this technology widespread. So well done Apache!

I think however they have forgotten the documentation side of the deal. There is no point having a top-class implementation that nobody can use due to lack of documentation.

Eduard
  10. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

CollapsiblePanel, and selectOneCountry

yes, where can we see this for example?

Thank you,
     Dmitry
     http://www.servletsuite.com
  11. I have found documentation very lacking too. Either it doesn't exist, or it is hard to find.
  12. Existing website that uses MyFaces:
    http://www.biblioteca.istitutodeglinnocenti.it/

Actually, JSFCentral collects information about practical examples of using JSF:
    http://www.jsfcentral.com/trenches/

Documentation set that includes Java Doc and Tag Library Doc:
    http://myfaces.apache.org/docs/gettingstarted.html

--
  13. Apache MyFaces 1.09 released[ Go to top ]

I think JSF central is a one of the best - if not the best - website for JSF resources. In fact, without any doubt I recommend 'JavaServer Faces in Action' to anybody that wants to learn about JSF, written by the site's founder.

The point I was making, however, is that documentation on the actual MyFaces components is next to nothing. Yes, you have half complete javadocs and low level taglib documentation. But unless you want to limit your user community to hard-core developers that have an interest in learning low level APIs, you need to at least provide a decent tutorial or high level documentation on what each component is, and how to use it, ideally with a couple of examples. And then let developers deep down in the low level API if they wish so.

Eduard
  14. Documentation[ Go to top ]

Eduard,

I totally share your positive suggestion about the 'JavaServer Faces in Action'. Let me even say more: you can use this book to learn how to work with MyFaces.

Look, MyFaces is not a proprietary framework. It is an implementation of the Javaserver Faces specification. So, you can use already existing JSF-related books including the Specification itself to learn about MyFaces. BTW, how many documents you know that are dedicated to the SUN's JSF-RI as an implementation, but not to JSF technology itself?

As I said previously, as soon as MyFaces became a top Apache project we can expect a good book and tool support for it in the nearest future.

--
  15. Documentation[ Go to top ]

Sergey,

the problem is not documentation about JSF itself, but specifically about MyFaces' components: how to use them, parameters, customization, etc. These are not documented elsewhere (books, arcticles, tutorials, etc.), MyFaces website should be the primary source for their docs. IMO, they should never be released to the public without proper docs explaining their use in detail in the first place, documentation should always be part of each component's package.

Regards,
    Henrique Steckelberg
  16. It's not much use having javadoc/taglib docs that have not documentation in them. It's fairly unlikely that every tag attribute performs the function of 'No description provided'.

So even the low level documentation is 'next to nothing' making using the myfaces extensions difficult since you have to try them to figure out what they do.

I think if you want to use them you have to be a low-level programming so you can program them to do what you require unless your requirements are as simple as the examples they were written for.
    I think JSF central is a one of the best - if not the best - website for JSF resources. In fact, without any doubt I recommend 'JavaServer Faces in Action' to anybody that wants to learn about JSF, written by the site's founder.The point I was making, however, is that documentation on the actual MyFaces components is next to nothing. Yes, you have half complete javadocs and low level taglib documentation. But unless you want to limit your user community to hard-core developers that have an interest in learning low level APIs, you need to at least provide a decent tutorial or high level documentation on what each component is, and how to use it, ideally with a couple of examples. And then let developers deep down in the low level API if they wish so.Eduard
  17. I agree there is a distressing lack of documentation right now. That is one of the top priorities of the MyFaces team. MyFaces is a brand new top level Apache project so please bear with us as we get things squared away.

Recent efforts have been focused on migrating to top level Apache status. We also put together a nice suite of simple examples which do serve as a form of documentation. The documentation will take time but we will get there.