Discussions

News: Tech Talk: Gregor Hohpe, Integration Architect, on Messaging

1. Gregor Hohpe, Integration Architect from ThoughtWorks and co-author of Enterprise Integration Patterns, discusses EAI and messaging from an integration standpoint, from how to think about messaging and coupling issues, synchronization of presumably-asynchronous processes, to the integration of messaging into the enterprise. He also discusses how enterprise messaging patterns were determined, and programmer mindset (as applied to asynchronous design patterns).

Watch the Tech Talk

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Messaging - how far is too far?[ Go to top ]

Nice interview, the EAI Patterns book doesn't really need any plug - it's already a classic. However, I do wonder if people are taking all this loosely coupled, messaging mantra to an extreme - I have seen projects where the interaction between the web tier and the business logic tier is being handled via synchronous request-reply style messaging with messages getting routed to the backend system via a message bus in-between. Phew! I have also seen ESB vendors market this style of messaging where portal applications interact with the backend systems through the ESB, again in this request-reply model. All in the name of keeping things loosely-coupled...
  3. Messaging - how far is too far?[ Go to top ]

Very nice!

I worked on a messaging product for a few years - before this book was published.

I have to admit, the approach in this book is better.

PJ Murray

CodeFutures Software

Java Code Generation for Data Persistence
  4. Messaging - how far is too far?[ Go to top ]

A metacomment: I know a lot of effort goes into transcribing the interviews. But I actually find them extremely distracting, because when the text is right there, I end up reading it (and I read a *lot* faster than people talk.)

I would like a default view (as in the MSDN videos) where the transcription is hidden.
  5. Gregor Hohpe's JavaPolis talk[ Go to top ]

If you're interested in more presentations by Gregor Hohpe then check out the JavaPolis presentation. ;-)
  6. whereas I would not. I don't have the proper plugins to watch the interviews in the browser. wm9 ? hello, not everyone runs Windows you know...
  7. wm9 ? hello, not everyone runs Windows you know...

Hello, wm9 can be played on linux.