Applying JRL: A developer fixes the JDK

Discussions

News: Applying JRL: A developer fixes the JDK

1. Applying JRL: A developer fixes the JDK (3 messages)

Andy Tripp decided to put the new Java Research License to the test, and documented fixing a few issues with the JDK step by step, through acquiring a copy of the source, compilation, coding, and sending patches back to Sun for inclusion in the next version of Java.

His three bugs of choice were some compilation errors from the source, correction of some icons on Windows, and adding a Reader for Properties.load(). In each case he fixed the bug, and then sent the patches to Sun.

In the issue of the compiler warnings, a Sun engineer responded within four days that the patch had been accepted and should be in the integration build in two weeks (which would place it in the integration stream around the second week of April, 2005).

For the Windows icon issue, an engineer responded that the fix wasn't complete, that another engineer was fine-tuning the process for loading the icon from Windows.

On the Properties.load() change, he had not received an update by the time of his writing the article, which might indicate that it was still under review.
    In all three cases, Sun did a good job of communicating: I got an automatically generated form letter immediately after submission of the fix, and a followup email from a real person once they had analyzed the fix. And once a fix had been incorporated, I got a third email telling me so (and letting me know I get a free T-shirt).
    And, of course, the good news is that my submitted fixes seemed to find their way to the right person within Sun. That may not sound like a big deal, but it's probably quite an accomplishment for a fairly large company like Sun.
    His conclusion final conclusion was also positive:
    Overall I'd give Sun a 'B+', or '3 stars out of 4', or 'very good' rating.
  2. I think this is good news for Java. I´m asking myself if it would be good to release JDK as free software.
    I think the risk of forking the code in several platforms is quite high if this happens. It seems to me that Sun is doing a good job unifying the people´s expectations.

But, from another point of view, maybe a truly open community could give more flexibility to the java platform.
    Anyway, I stringly believe this are good news for Java.

Joserra
    New bussiness models with free software (oh!, in Spanish)
  3. But, from another point of view, maybe a truly open community could give more flexibility to the java platform.

I lost my confidence in open communities after 2 best Linux distros (RedHat and Suse) are not for FREE anymore ...
  4. While I love and use open source, anyone who doesn't understand that without commercial interest, involvement and support, we wouldn't have the open source community we have; exactly where do you think this money comes from? If it wasn't for that support we'd all have to be farmers writing software at night. All these so-called leaders are paid very well for their time, thank you very much.

Woodstock is over and we're not gonna hold hands singing how we want to buy the world a Coke. So buy a vowel or phone a friend, do whatever you have to; you people gotta calm down.