Updates to Java 1.5.0 and Ant 1.6

Discussions

News: Updates to Java 1.5.0 and Ant 1.6

1. Updates to Java 1.5.0 and Ant 1.6 (5 messages)

Sun has made Java 1.5.0 update 3 available for download. Changes in this release include some Hotspot tuning and repairs, some look and feel enhancements, various localization fixes, corrections and tunings for WebStart, and fixes a crash in the plugin for Mozilla in Linux, among many other minor changes.

Ant 1.6.3 fixes many minor bugs, and adds better non-javac compiler support, as well as adding some useful task options.
  2. Thank you Sun and thank you Apache, keep up the great work!

-John-
  3. It was a wise movement for sun to change their updating process, now we are able to see improvements and fixes in a much greater frequency, which will be greatly benefitial to Java as a whole.
  4. Mike posted this in another thread on java.net:"
     Hi Everyone,

I'm Mike, the User Experience Lead for J2SE.
    As Stanley mentioned, we have aggressive schedules to improve the user experience for JNLP-powered applications. The two biggest problems are the splash screen and the security dialog boxes. We have changed the way the default splash screens work to be more professional (although I would HIGHLY encourage you to provide your own custom splash screen graphic). We have a whole new visual architecture for the security dialog boxes. The goals for this redesign are to reduce the number of dialogs, help the end user focus of the important security issues, and make the whole experience less alarming.

As all of you know, the overall issue of "how do we get the JRE installed on end user's machines" is a vastly complicated problem. From Java Web Start to Java Plug-in to the installers to Java Update to the Java Control Panel, there is a lot of technology here. Our goal is to coordinate the user experience for all of these technologies. End users should be focused on the solutions your applications provide and not on the plumbing we provide. The feedback you give us (like this thread) help us (individual engineers, designers, and management) understand your pain points and help drive solutions into J2SE.

I don't keep track of individual build #s but some of these enhancements are rolling into Mustang now. I'd encourage you to download a new build every couple weeks or every month and try your JNLP app against it. See how the new experience is. Take screen shots. Send us more feedback. Investigate the custom things you can add to your JNLP app to make it more polished and professional (like custom splash screens).

Thanks. There are people who, like you, care about the Java desktop technologies. Keep making noise.

Mike "

but... the scarry words for Signed WebStart apps are not fixed yet.
    Why can't it say:
    "This vendor was authethicated by Thwarte. The vendor's applciation is safe. Please install the java application".

That would be all we need for Desktop Java to go against Flash DB Applciations.

.V
  5. Not so simple:
    - In many enterprises Java applets are treated as unsecure software
    - Downloading JRE 15 MB is not huge problem but to allow some automatic simple central distribution INSIDE company will be wery good step
    - JNLP should support on every computer some central repository. For example if my software need Jakarta-log 1.1 - .... why every other java applicatoin have to download it when is already available as part of other application
    - Also security inside sandbox should be more configurable. Many signed applets are asking for full acess because is simple, even if they don't need this. I will be very satisfied when I could before applet startup allow for example only access to /tmp/ and /opt/app1 and sandbox will ask for every access outside this scope.
    - Prepare better tools for network administrators for Java distribution and maintenance
  6. Why can't it say:"This vendor was authethicated by Thwarte. The vendor's applciation is safe. Please install the java application".That would be all we need for Desktop Java to go against Flash DB Applciations..V

"This vendor was authethicated by Thwarte. The vendor's applciation is safe. Please install the java application".

Just because the vendor has been authenticated it does not follow that the applications they sign are secure. I've signed an insecure application for a reputable vendor. Just following orders.

If people like you don't understand that, how is Joe User supposed to?