Discussions

News: Java 2 SE 5.0 for Mac OS X 10.4 Released

1. Java 2 SE 5.0 for Mac OS X 10.4 Released (26 messages)

Apple has released Java 2 SE 5.0 for Mac OS X 10.4.

Unique features to this release for Mac OS X include:
    • A new Cocoa Java Plugin API. The release notes say that this API can be used to embed Java into your Cocoa application.
    • Support for the javax.print package
    • and changes to the Java versioning mechanism
    • Resolutions to a number of other issues in Hotspot, AWT, and other areas.
    The release notes have more detail.

Threaded Messages (26)

2. They should have delayed the release of the OS to wait for JDK 5. But this is good news because I've been wanting to do Java 5 on my mac.

Anyone know if 10.4 comes with Java3D and Advanced Imaging API installed by default?

Also, does this new version support the -server VM? I've found that the server VM is MUCH faster than the client in many benchmarks (though not all).

Mike
  3. If you're sitting on the fence debating to upgrade to 10.4, I'd like to let you know that the OS is WAY more responsive that 10.3 is. I am running Eclipse 3.1M6 under Java 5 and it's much snappier than it was under 10.3. Plus, I finally get to use annotations and generics, finally!
  4. More details please..[ Go to top ]

If you're sitting on the fence debating to upgrade to 10.4, I'd like to let you know that the OS is WAY more responsive that 10.3 is. I am running Eclipse 3.1M6 under Java 5 and it's much snappier than it was under 10.3.

Can you go into some more detail? What platform are you using? I've tried going with eclipse 3.0 under 10.3 (ibook g4 1.2ghz) and the performance was just too far behind my pc (amd 1.46 ghz). I'd like to be able to quit using my windows box if possible..

Do you think the performance increase is due to use of Java 5, or also related to 10.4?
  5. Re: More details please..[ Go to top ]

If you're sitting on the fence debating to upgrade to 10.4, I'd like to let you know that the OS is WAY more responsive that 10.3 is. I am running Eclipse 3.1M6 under Java 5 and it's much snappier than it was under 10.3.
    Can you go into some more detail? What platform are you using? I've tried going with eclipse 3.0 under 10.3 (ibook g4 1.2ghz) and the performance was just too far behind my pc (amd 1.46 ghz). I'd like to be able to quit using my windows box if possible..Do you think the performance increase is due to use of Java 5, or also related to 10.4?

Sorry, the 10.4 I was referring to was Mac OS X 10.4 and I think the speed improvment is a combination of BOTH 10.4 and Java 5. I have an 800Mhz TiBook with 1GB and a pokey 40GB HB. Just FYI, I'm generally skeptical of those who were saying 10.2 was so much faster than 10.1 and 10.3 was SOOO much faster than 10.2. Honestly, for me, I saw little speed difference between those releases other than everything worked better. 10.4 however presents a noticable increase in speed. An example, the switch user "cube" effect was choppy under 10.3, is smooth as silk under 10.4. Expose on dual monitors didn't animate under 10.3 and runs smooth unser 10.4. It's little things like this that are making a difference for me.

Under 10.3, Eclipse 3.0 and ESPECIALLY 3.1M6 with the JBoss IDE plugins installed was way slow. Not to mention the overall UI experience was on the pokey side as well. Since installing 10.4 on the same hardware plus installing Java 5, Eclipse doesn't feel as pokey. Grnated it's no speed demon compared to the Windows world, but it MUCH MUCH better than under 10.3 and 1.4.2. Overall, the entire OS is more responive and everything is MUCH smoother than in 10.3. I won't say it's faster since II have not done any timings and I probably won't. However, in 10.4, things happen when I expect them to and I hardly see the pizza anymore.

One quick note, since Java 5 doesn't be come your default JVM, you have to make Java 5 your default VM in order to use Java 5 with Eclipse. Otherwise it chooses 1.4.2. This involves changing the symlink to /Library/Java/Home. The Java 5 control panel only handles applets and Webstart apps. Pretty simple really. Is this enough detail? :)

Ryan-
  6. Re: More details please..[ Go to top ]

Thanks Ryan, that gives me a good reason to upgrade to 10.4. I hadn't really been paying much attention till now.

Definitely Apple should be benchmarking their implementations using popular applications like eclipse if they aren't already.
  7. I really loved the comparison:
    700Mhz Pentium III PC vs 600MHz iMac G3

No offense but - can somebody remind me - which century is it? I thought it was 21st. Feels like, I may be wrong.

On a more serious note - I am running Eclipse 3.0.2 on a G4 1.4GHz CPU with Mac OS X 10.0.4 and JDK 5 - no problems.

Regarding the installation - I think I did post how to make the switch manually, and I do not see how changing one symlink is such a big deal to cry about it.

P.S. I have not tried Eclipse 3.1.xline, but it is beta and I"ve heard problems with it, on all platforms.

P.P.S. I have hard time believing stinky P3 was so great running JDK 5 and Eclipse 3.1
  8. I am running Eclipse 3.0.2 on a G4 1.4GHz CPU with Mac OS X 10.0.4 and JDK 5 - no problems.

Wanna talk poky? I'm on a 400mhz g4 TiPB with 10gb hd baby! ;-)

Really though. I've got java5 and eclipse 3.0.2 on my mac. I did the command sim link thing. But I can't seem to get eclipse to use 1.5 for the compiler compliance. Any ideas?

,boz
  9. I didn't need to do any symlinks. Just installed the J2SE5.0 package, eclipse 3.1 and then it worked.

First you need Eclipse 3.1 (not 3.0) for JDK1.5 compliance - then you select the VM in eclipse from Window - preferences - Java - Installed JREs.

And it works very good (though slow) on my iBook G3 600Mhz... :)

Peter
  10. Thanks Peter,... and OK you win the slow-war. :-)
    ,boz
  11. For those who missed it, the only symlink to change is

CurrentJDK

in

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

Leave everything else alone. /Library/Java/Home and all the rest are already linked correctly so that when CurrentJDK changes it all changes the way you want.
  12. What about OS X 10.3 ?

Do I have to upgrade for 10.4 or will they release it later.
  13. Not for 10.3 ![ Go to top ]

Apple has always been reluctant to add backward support to their system. And Java 2 SE 5.0 will be reserved to 10.4+ operating system...
    So to have a JDK 5 Tiger running on your mac, you will have to upgrade to Mac OS X.4 Tiger :-)
    So do I...
  14. Not for 10.3 ![ Go to top ]

you will have to upgrade to Mac OS X.4 Tiger :-)

On the Apple-Java mail list, there is an unsupported hack to run 1.5 on 10.3.

.V
  15. Hack?[ Go to top ]

Where can I find this hack? Could you please send me an URL?
    I can't believe Apple won't supply Java 5 for Panther... This is so sad!
  16. Found[ Go to top ]

Found it here: http://lists.apple.com/archives/Java-dev/2005/Apr/shwOY2k7wVYD.sh
  17. Hm, somebody using Macs and not upgrading to Tiger?

OMG :-)
  18. Of course I'm upgrading .. just not right now :P
  19. Tiger rocks.
    Upgraded two days ago and can't believe I did not have Spotlight and/or Dashboard before.

Awesome :)

New JDK feels faster, have not done any extensive tests yet.

As for JDK 1.4.2 on Mac OS Panther - I would not say it was so slow. The only problem I had was with IDEA. Loading plugins would make it crawl. But other IDEs: Eclipse, JBuilder, NetBeans, all had satisfactory to excellent performance. Interestingly, JBuilder was the fastest, not - SWT-based Eclipse.

I have compared build times for a large project on Mac OS X 10.3 running JDK 1.4.2 with G4 1.4GHz CPU and Windows XP Pro running JDK 1.4.2 with AMD64 3200+GHZ CPU. Mac was a little bit slower, but speed was still quite close. Both machines had 1GB RAM.
  20. A little hint:

After you install 1.5 DMG - it does not replace JDK 1.4.2.

According to docs, there is a Java Preferences app in Application-Utilities-Java-J2SE5.0 that, theoretically, should allow you to indicate the order/preference of JDKs both for applets and runtime.

For whatever reason, that did not work for me. So, if you end-up in the same situation, here's how to do the trick manually:

> cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
    > mv CurrentJDK CurrentJDK-old
    > ln -s 1.5 CurrentJDK

which will backup the symlink and create new, pointing to 1.5 JDK distro, this time.

that's it. Anything else should work as usual, considering you had JAVA_HOME=/Library/Java/Home - as you should on a Mac OS X

enjoy
  21. Performances improvaments ?[ Go to top ]

Have some of you felt any performance boost regarding the speed of the VM ?

My main criticism for Java on os X is that it is really slow (at least on the G4 I have tested so far).
  22. Performances improvaments ?[ Go to top ]

My main criticism for Java on os X is that it is really slow (at least on the G4 I have tested so far).

Odd, my experience has been that Java runs faster on my G4 Powerbook than my 2 Ghz Dell, memory management seems to be better too.

I use IDEA, MagicDraw and JEdit extensively. All are quite snappy as far as I'm concerned. Here's hoping that only gets better with 5!
  23. Perfomance improvements?[ Go to top ]

I'm currently creating a music software for J2SE5.0, and I try to test this on different platform. I've tested it on a 700Mhz Pentium III PC running Windows vs a 600MHz iMac G3. Still the results when running my music software is that the PC is 10 times faster than the Mac.

It may of course be bad code from me - but I had really expected more from the Mac - considering statements that the Mac architecture is superiour to the PC.

If there's anything I could do to make the Mac run faster with J2SE 5.0 - I'd be really happy to know. I'm also suffering of very slow Swing GUI in general on the Mac. But on the PC with almost same specs it runs smooth.

However, when it comes to the concept of Java write once - run anywhere - I'm impressed - the program ran instantly - with no modifications.

For anyone who wants to test go to http://www.frinika.com and check for yourself.
  24. Perfomance improvements?[ Go to top ]

I would not say that much but I had the same disappointing experience.
  25. And already found two problems
    a) the jdk switchin app apple mentions in its release notes simply does nothing to switch the jdk, you have to do that manually
    b) Eclipse crashed instantly (3.1M6 that is)

Guess we have to wait a little bit until Apple got the Bugs ironed out a little bit more.
  26. I created a simple "real world" benchmark - how long (wall clock time) it takes to compile a project. I already clocked the compile time for quite many Macs and PC:s and the results seems (for macs) even worse than for 1.4.

You try it out or just see the results here: Java Performance Test 1.0

Probably the reason why 1.5 is so much slower is because the compiler does more things than on 1.4. So basically they are not comparable, but on the other hand - now the compile time is 47secs on my PowerBook, while it was 27secs on 1.4. And furhermore - it is just around 13 secs on a modern Centrino laptop...
  27. Initially I think the multiple version way OS X is brilliant !!!

It enables OS X to run different JVM's concurrently
    great ... something to learn from....

On the other hand it seems that vendors does not use this feature.
    If IDEA used the feature it could just use the ..Version/1.4/ link and ignore
    any other ....

Idea can by the way accept to generate 1.5 applications