Starter webapp AppFuse 1.8 Released

Discussions

News: Starter webapp AppFuse 1.8 Released

1. Starter webapp AppFuse 1.8 Released (26 messages)

AppFuse is an application for kickstarting webapp development by pre-packaging a web app you can start developing off, eliminating the effort of creating a build system, integrating tools and frameworks, setting up testing harnesses, etc.

Major new features in 1.8 include:
     - replaces Container Managed Authentication (CMA) with Acegi Security
     - refactoring of build.xml to use Ant 1.6 features
     - Eclipse and IDEA project files improved so you can easily run tests from within your IDE
     - A MyJavaPack all-in-one installer was also added so you can download everything you need for AppFuse at once.

Threaded Messages (26)

2. A big time saver...[ Go to top ]

Very nice, especially the switch to Acegi. Anyone considering the move to Spring should very seriously consider doing it with AppFuse - it'll save you dozens if not hundreds of hours in ramp-up time.
  3. Shameless Plug ;-)[ Go to top ]

The same thing for a complete *J2EE application* with MDA (model-to-code and model-to-text transformation) support: EJOSA (Enterprise Java Open Source Architecture). Two in detail introduction articles are available:

Part I:
    http://www.jaxmag.com/itr/online_artikel/psecom,id,653,nodeid,147.html

Part II:
    http://www.jaxmagazine.com/itr/online_artikel/psecom,id,671,nodeid,147.html

At the moment I'm working on adding a model-to-model transformation tool in EJOSA. An introduction article is to come.

Cheers,
    Lofi.
  4. Shameless Plug ;-)[ Go to top ]

The same thing for a complete *J2EE application* with MDA (model-to-code and model-to-text transformation) support: EJOSA (Enterprise Java Open Source Architecture)

Seems like a good solution, I especially like the way you're using XMLC for the web screens and not following the crowd with JSP's.

What would be useful though with these architectures is a video of a typical startup development. The Ruby on Rails guys do this and it gives a a great introduction without having to spend the time installing and reading documentation.

Ian Purton
    More Todo Lists
  5. XMLC[ Go to top ]

<ian>
    Seems like a good solution, I especially like the way you're using XMLC for the web screens and not following the crowd with JSP's.
    </ian>

yeah I am a big fan of XMLC. It's easy and can be very powerful! But as I wrote in my article, within EJOSA you can mix any presentation techniques... Just use the adequate technique in the correct place ;-)

<ian>
    What would be useful though with these architectures is a video of a typical startup development.
    </ian>

Yes, it will be very useful! Do you know whether is there any free software to do such a video? I'm not that expert in movies and videos :-) But the idea is very good. I can imagine adding such a video to EJOSA...

Thanks,
    Lofi.
  6. XMLC[ Go to top ]

Do you know whether is there any free software to do such a video? I'm not that expert in movies and videos :-) But the idea is very good. I can imagine adding such a video to EJOSA...Thanks,Lofi.

Camptasia is pretty good. you get a 30day trial which I imagine would be plenty of time to develope something.
  7. XMLC[ Go to top ]

Sorry it's Camtasia.
  8. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

I'll try to make a video tonight of the following AppFuse features:

1. Create a new application and setting it up on Tomcat/MySQL.
    2. Browse the new app in a browser to see the out-of-the-box features in AppFuse.
    3. Creating a new POJO/Table and generating the UI using AppGen.

Any preferred web framework I should use? Choices are Struts, Spring, WebWork, JSF (MyFaces) or Tapestry.
  9. Re: Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

how about for all of them ?? :)
  10. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

Struts please.
  11. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

JSF and Tapestry, please
  12. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

JSF and Tapestry, please
    +1
  13. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

struts and JSF please
  14. Video for AppFuse[ Go to top ]

Spring Web demo should be first.

Here's why
    Spring is core of AppFuse anyway.
    So minimalistic AppFuse do not need to bundle additional web frameworks like Struts, Tapestry, Webwork, MyFaces...etc.

Those who need *additional* web frameworks will have to wait. Spring is a priority ! :)
  15. Macromedia Flex[ Go to top ]

Hi Matt,
    i would like to see Macromedia Flex support in AppFuse :)
  16. My Fav UI framework/ORM![ Go to top ]

I feel like I am in the middle of a game of Pit. :) My dad hated that game.

http://thehouseofcards.com/retail/pit.html
  17. AppFuse Videos[ Go to top ]

I put together a couple of AppFuse videos last night. The first one is a demo of creating a new project and then installing and browsing that project in your browser - to see all the out-of-the-box features.

http://demo.appfuse.org/setup.html

The 2nd one basically all the stuff that's done in the tutorials - using Spring MVC for the web framework. I create a Person.java object and then use AppGen to generate all the code for it. In this one, I make a number of mistakes (but solve them all). I thought about going
    fully happy-path, but then decided it was important to show some gotchas that might occur.

http://demo.appfuse.org/appgen.html

Thanks to Keith at KGB Internet for hosting the demo site for AppFuse. If you need Tomcat hosting, Keith offers an excellent service at a very good price.
  18. great job!!![ Go to top ]

I think you have done a great job...

The only one thing i see right now is the 'low-level' work you have to do. I mean a developer might need to execute some scripts that could be integrated as an ide plugin making life easier. it would be superb!
  19. AppFuse Videos[ Go to top ]

Matt, well done... gives me a real insite into how things work without the pain of an install.
  20. also thumbs up to kgbinternet. I use them too.
  21. XMLC[ Go to top ]

Do you know whether is there any free software to do such a video?
    Take glance at ViewletBuilder
  22. video software[ Go to top ]

How about Wink?

http://www.debugmode.com/wink/

Wink is a Tutorial and Presentation creation software, primarily aimed at creating tutorials on how to use software (like a tutor for MS-Word/Excel etc). Using Wink you can capture screenshots, add explanations boxes, buttons, titles etc and generate a highly effective tutorial for your users.
  23. I liked the Equinox version as it is more suitable for IDE. But I know AppFuse has more functionality like security etc. Can someone post an article on how to migrate from Equinox to Appfuse
  24. 1.8 Demos[ Go to top ]

I've uploaded the 1.8 demos for the various options that AppFuse provides. You can see them at the following URL.

http://demo.appfuse.org/demos.html
  25. 1.8 Demos[ Go to top ]

How about a "Struts - iBATIS" demo?
  26. Very nice stuff[ Go to top ]

If I had known that four months before I could have spared a month of extra work. Anyway, tried to testrun it on postgres, the postgres install is quirky, I ran into several issues, mainly related to the generated SQL code for the table creation.
    The generated SQL script simply has several errors regarding the PostgresSQL 8 datatypes.
    Also I could not bypass a build error which constantly said, I should dump junit.jar into the ant folder (which I had done)
    But besides that, the app gives a good headstart and seems to have a solid pattern foundation.
  27. RE: Very nice stuff[ Go to top ]

Werner,

I've been running (and testing against) PostgreSQL 7.3.4 on OS X w/o issues. I've also run AppFuse with PostgreSQL 8.0 on Windows and haven't had any issues. Can you please post your issues to the mailing list (users at appfuse dot dev dot java dot net) or enter a bug in JIRA?

http://63.246.7.30/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa

Thanks,

Matt