TSS' Java in Action Conference Call for Papers Open

Discussions

News: TSS' Java in Action Conference Call for Papers Open

1. TSS is launching a new annual conference October 5-7, called Java In Action (JIA), location on the US East coast to be announced shortly. The call for papers for this conference is out, and we invite you to submit a couple of talks. The event will be at Disney's Yacht Club Beach Resort in Orlando for October 5-7, 2005.

This is a new annual conference TSS is organizing. The first conference we put on was TheServerSide Java Symposium, which has been going on for three years during the Spring, and has become very popular in the community. TSS' Java Symposium was unique and differentiated from other events in it's focus on having key community contributors presenting bleeding edge and forward looking Enterprise Java topics.

JIA on the other hand will focus on practical, proven, solutions to today's challenging problems in enterprise software development, presented by expert end-users like yourself.

We are designing JIA to be a hybrid-training/conference experience unlike any other event. With 13 topics presented over three concurrent tracks, the mornings will begin with three hour training modules, the afternoon will have 4 sets of conference style technical sessions, and the first two (of three) days will conclude with a 2 hour group design workshop in which all attendees will be split into small groups and get to whiteboard solutions to tough real world software engineering problems in a peer to peer fashion.

This mix of training, conference, and design workshop we think is something unique that has never been done before, and we'd like you to be a part of it!

Read Java in Action Call for Papers. The call for papers will last the month of May, registration will open in June.

Threaded Messages (26)

2. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Just want to make sure that's not a typo. A 100-word abstract seems to be a pretty small amount of information to make these sorts of selections.
  3. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Just want to make sure that's not a typo. A 100-word abstract seems to be a pretty small amount of information to make these sorts of selections.

I've got one down to 118 words... not sure what else I can trim...
  4. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Try removing the word "Webwork" from each sentence.
  5. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Phew .. now it's down to 23 words ;-)
  6. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Remove buzzwords and you're left with "it's a framework..." -- oh wait, you're left with just "It's a."

Phooey.
  7. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

Ok Cameron, and your abstract can't include "cache" or "distributed"... good luck :-)
  8. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

LOL :)
    Ok Cameron, and your abstract can't include "cache" or "distributed"... good luck :-)
    Then he can probably put something "against" JBoss.
  9. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

LOL :)
    Then he can probably put something "against" JBoss :)
  10. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

You left him with "cluster" _and_ "scalability" -- big mistake ;-).

Rob Misek
    Tangosol, Inc.
  11. Idea[ Go to top ]

How about: Applying scripting language to speed up Test Driven Development and for testing SOA integrations. Use the WebLogic Server as a platform to bad-mouthing JBoss. Then you can avoid talking about web or cache, a bit of a problem with distributed but I think you can around it since this is pretty much what I do all day.....

Lars
  12. 100 Words?[ Go to top ]

You left him with "cluster" _and_ "scalability" -- big mistake ;-).Rob MisekTangosol, Inc.
    ...and "peace", your biggest mistake...

:)
  13. Location[ Go to top ]

the page says location to be announced. If it's too far, I can't afford to go, even if I had a good topic to present. oh well.

peter
  14. Location[ Go to top ]

I'd going to be either in Boston or New York.

Feel free to submit a more detailed outline as well.

Floyd
  15. Location[ Go to top ]

the page says location to be announced. If it's too far, I can't afford to go, even if I had a good topic to present. oh well.peter

Read a little more Peter... If you're presenting the travel expenses are covered.
  16. duh on me[ Go to top ]

the page says location to be announced. If it's too far, I can't afford to go, even if I had a good topic to present. oh well.peter
    Read a little more Peter... If you're presenting the travel expenses are covered.

I totally missed that. I must be going blind or I'm just stupid :)

peter
  17. Does this mean the Symposium is no more?
  18. Does this mean the Symposium is no more?

Nope. It's an additional conference.
  19. can topics on core java be presented? i see only topics related to J2EE.

Regards
    Surajeet
  20. can topics on core java be presented? i see only topics related to J2EE.RegardsSurajeet

Well, it IS TheServerSide, but in all honesty, if you have core topics that are still relevant for J2EE... feel free to give 'em a try.
  21. for eg: can topics on Java Concurrency be presented?

Regards
    Surajeet
  22. nationality? groups?[ Go to top ]

It is necessary to be american to submit a proposal?
    Can groups submit, also?
  23. nationality? groups?[ Go to top ]

What about Helvitica fonts? Floyd, you didn't say if we could submit ideas with Helvitica. Is it ok?

- Don
  24. nationality? groups?[ Go to top ]

What about Helvitica fonts? Floyd, you didn't say if we could submit ideas with Helvitica. Is it ok? - Don

If you use Helvetica, you'll be turned down. Extra points for you if you use Yank or Lucida Console.
  25. Just out of curiosity, with the most excellent Colorado Software Summit the week of October 23 (http://www.softwaresummit.com/) and OOPSLA the week of October 16th (http://www.oopsla.org/2005/ShowPage.do?id=Home) and three NFJS symposiums on the east cost in October -- which week will TSS choose for the conference?

- Don
  26. Just out of curiosity, with the most excellent Colorado Software Summit the week of October 23 (http://www.softwaresummit.com/) and OOPSLA the week of October 16th (http://www.oopsla.org/2005/ShowPage.do?id=Home) and three NFJS symposiums on the east cost in October -- which week will TSS choose for the conference?  - Don

That's a good question. I was wondering that myself.

-- Damien
  27. Unfortunately our choice is not as deterministic as we would have liked. There are limited hotel spaces, so the final date will be somewhat related to what spaces were available.

Also, I think JIA is differentiated enough in terms of content, organization, and target audience from those other events that people will be able to choose the conference that is the most appropriate for them.

Floyd