Discussions

News: OASIS seeks convergence around reliable messaging

1. Less than a month after BEA Systems, IBM, Microsoft and Tibco Software submitted the latest version of the WS-Reliable Messaging specification to OASIS, the standards body has formed the Web Services Reliable Exchange (WS-RX) technical committee. WS-RX has garnered support from Sun, Oracle, Sonic Software and others who created the rival OASIS WS-Reliablity 1.1 standard last November.

Read Messaging specs drive toward convergence

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Information[ Go to top ]

The reason why I come to a site like this one
    is to learn about the latest technologies, even thought
    I am not particularly interested in Java, but one need
    to know for example what is an Application Server, what is
    an EJB, what is the problem it is trying to solve and in
    as much detail as possible how it is trying to solve,
    too abstract business speech doesn't really elaborate much.

For example, all I know about EJB is that they are Super-Objects, that transparently take advantage of
    many service, provided by the application server, services
    such as persistence, load-balancing (what is load balancing,
    for example I know load balancing is, an object is software,
    software ask the processor to do work, load balancing means,
    a service that intellegently distribute work load on the available processing nodes), networking, GUI, etc ...

The thing is many articles assume that I know more than I do, and I don't, I came to learn, what is the latest techs, how they work and what they solve.

So what is this messaging service thing, what does WS-RM stands for, why do we need it, why xml, how would an xml schema solve this problem, what are the alternatives.

We need to go back to the fundamentals, to make it easier and smarter for developers to adopt those solutions, and get excited about it.

If I am gonna buy and read a 400 pages book, it should be to help me implemented the solution, not just give me an overview, I see a lot of 800 pages XML book, that only serve to give an overview of XML technologies, or to answer the simple question, what the heck is XML and why should I care, this is not good.
  3. Information[ Go to top ]

you better not to be here buddy
  4. Information[ Go to top ]

Hi Ali,
        I understand your concern, however, there should be space enough for a wide variety of topics that concern development and at different levels on this site. This particular topic may not be of interest to you, but it is I'm sure to others (myself included ;-), who are watching this particular space very closely since we do a lot of integration and this whole space has yet to settle as neatly as others. At some point in your career, you will most likely have to integrate the stuff you make with the stuff that others make, and most likely, it will be more than just packaging up a binary library for them to integrate to. When that happens, things will be more complicated and simple at the same time. The xml thing will come in, as will the SOAP/WS-* thing, and although more and more companies/communities are agreeing on the syntax and semantics there is yet to be wide agreement on things like reliable messaging etc IMHO, and under the covers, the problems are more complex. Don't buy the 800 page xml book, google the info and get what you need. But as soon as your company either has to consume or produce a web service reliably, you will be forced to ponder the same problem space that these specs are trying to address.

Jin
  5. Information[ Go to top ]

Sites like this can be useful because it helps keep people aware. It triggers alarms, it turns on curiosity. Not every bit of information should be an exhaustive tutorial or an in-depth article to be useful. Sometimes, very basic newfeeds can be the start of a long trail of knowledge. It's up to you to go further and dig.