Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released

Discussions

News: Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released

1. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released (49 messages)

Eclipse 3.1 M7 has been released for download.

Changes include much better performance, better support for Java 5, new refactorings, improved RCP support., bugfixes, and more. For full details, see the "new and noteworthy" document and build notes.

This begins the end of the 3.1 development cycle; a final build of Eclipse 3.1 is expected in late June 2005.

Threaded Messages (49)

2. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

is the improved performance measured against previous milestones of 3.1 or against 3.0? the move from 2.1 to 3.0 seemed to introduce a raft of performance regressions...
  3. Eclipse performance improvements[ Go to top ]

Check out http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/performance/index.html for details.
  4. Performance problem of Eclipse 3.0.x[ Go to top ]

I totally agree with you.

I am working in a project without well designed separate sub-module, the performance of Eclipse 3.0.x likes nightmare to me.

The operating system I am using is Fedora Core 1, I have to face more than 5 more times Eclipse halt one day. Some of my colleagues even have go back to use Eclipse 2.x now.

Hope it will improve a lot in Eclipse 3.1.
  5. Granted there was a while there the performance of Eclipse was questionable but not unuseable. This new release has made a huge noticeable difference, with it once more being very responsive and snappy. I even notice that a session that has been left for a long time still responds very well; so its stopping the OS from paging out the memory which is good.

Unlike FireFox of late; which seems to be getting slower on every release. Oh well, maybe you can't have everything!
  6. Granted there was a while there the performance of Eclipse was questionable but not unuseable. This new release has made a huge noticeable difference, with it once more being very responsive and snappy. I even notice that a session that has been left for a long time still responds very well; so its stopping the OS from paging out the memory which is good.Unlike FireFox of late; which seems to be getting slower on every release. Oh well, maybe you can't have everything!

I've been using 3.1 M6 for a month or so now, and I havent had any performance problems whatsoever. I have hit some problems with JDK 5 support, but that's about it.
  7. what probs have u had with java5 support?
  8. The package-info support doesnt work (for package-level annotations). This has just been fixed tho:

bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=91670

And the compiler flags some things as errors that should be warnings, or configurable as warnings.
  9. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Are there any major feature improvements since version 3.0?
    (In addition to support for Java 5).
  10. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

See New and Noteworthy Page
  11. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Do they support multiple rows of open file tabs yet?
  12. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Do they support multiple rows of open file tabs yet?

You can have multiple tab groups, if that's what you mean.
  13. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

what i mean is if you have 20 open files in the editor, do they scroll off the right edge, or can you see all the open editor tabs at once like Intellij has had for years.
  14. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

M6 didn't have this (unless I'm missing something). I switched to Eclipse a couple of months ago from doing all my Java development in JEdit. Having a maximum of about 5 file-tabs visible at one time is probably the most annoying limitation of Eclipse. Although it's in close competition with the 'feature' that causes saving one file to trigger a rebuild of the entire workspace.

In general, though, I'm loving it!
  15. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Try hitting control-e and start typing the name of the tab that you want - it's much more convenient than clicking anyway.
  16. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Will try this, thanks. However, I'm used to working with quite a few tabs open and, having the memory of a goldfish, it helps to be able to glance over the names of the files to remind me of the name of the one I'm looking for. Hence it's helpful to see all the full filenames laid out on multiple rows of tabs. This is especially true when you've got long filenames - eclipse reduces them to e.g. XXXXX..., XXXXX... which is also annoying.

Agreed, for a man with the memory of a goldfish, lots of tabs may sound like a peculiar way to work, but I (and others) are rather accustomed to it. Certainly it seems like a practice the Eclipse team don't want to encourage...

The irony of it all is that, in Swing at least, multiple rows of tabs are a doddle to implement. Are they difficult in SWT?
  17. lots of tabs may sound like a peculiar way to work, but I (and others) are rather accustomed to it. Certainly it seems like a practice the Eclipse team don't want to encourage...

I think the best way to navigate to a Java class is to ctrl-click a reference to it in the source.

More generally, ideally test driven development means that the only legitimate reason to modify a class is a failing test. And when a test fails you probably have a reference to the class near the line of failure.
  18. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Will try this, thanks. However, I'm used to working with quite a few tabs open and, having the memory of a goldfish, it helps to be able to glance over the names of the files to remind me of the name of the one I'm looking for.

(Shift +)Ctrl+F6 (on windows)
  19. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Just installed M7 and tried the control-e shortcut - actually does give a full list of open files. Might get used to this, cheers.

I still reckon an option for multiple rows of tabs would be good though ;-) If only cos that's what people have got used to in other editors / IDEs.
  20. Disable auto-build[ Go to top ]

You can disable autobuild (building on every save) and build
    with Ctrl-B. Other interesting shortcuts you may want to try
    are Ctrl-Shift-T , Ctrl-Shift-R and Ctrl-1 on highlighted errors.

There are lots of "hidden" features in eclipse which are not obvious to the first starters, but that make it so much better
    than most (all?) other IDEs
  21. Disable auto-build[ Go to top ]

You can disable autobuild (building on every save) and buildwith Ctrl-B. Other interesting shortcuts you may want to try are Ctrl-Shift-T , Ctrl-Shift-R and Ctrl-1 on highlighted errors.There are lots of "hidden" features in eclipse which are not obvious to the first starters, but that make it so much betterthan most (all?) other IDEs
    If one is "all thumbs" like me they will find lots of hidden features. The problem is figuring out how you did it. :)
  22. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Having a maximum of about 5 file-tabs visible at one time is probably the most annoying limitation of Eclipse.
    Not sure what you are talking about, this is configurable and as far as I know, the default is much higher (I usually have 99+ editors open :-)).

Also, I think the multiple tab thing is useless so I turn it off. My editor windows only contain one title, the name and path of the file currently edited, and I use Ctrl-e and Ctrl-F6 to switch between editors. It's even faster than buffer switching in emacs, which is already close to optimal.

Oh and I actually remapped Ctrl-F6 to Ctrl-q since I use it so often...

--
    Cedric
  23. 5 Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

Having a maximum of about 5 file-tabs visible at one time is probably the most annoying limitation of Eclipse.
    Not sure what you are talking about, this is configurable and as far as I know, the default is much higher (I usually have 99+ editors open :-))

could you please tell me where the maximum number of visible (!) editor tabs can be configured to be more than 5?? I just discovered this new limitation, and am quite shocked.
    And please spare me of suggestions to change my working habits - not helpful.

thanks
    christian
  24. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

did you try EditorList plugin
    M6 Having a maximum of about 5 file-tabs visible at one time is probably the most annoying limitation of Eclipse.
  25. Open File Tabs[ Go to top ]

EditorList does not cut it. I should not have to use a key combination to open a window that tells me what files i have open when simply having multiple rows of open file tabs would show you this right off the bat.
  26. Let's congratulates the Eclipse team!. Speaking for myself, I have rarely seem such quality and consitency from release to release. It is an example for all of us, software developers.
  27. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Are there any plans to add position shortcuts for the windows that one has 'iconized' on the left bar? For example in order to 'unfold' my package explorer i have to click on the icon and then click on it again to fold it (or use the specific shortcut to unfold it, but have to click to fold it). JBuilder adds ALT+x shortucts that follow the order of the icons so that the windows on the side can be opened and closed quickly.
  28. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Anyone knows what tools/ plug-in that eclipse offers like wtp did to generate entity bean (bmp and cmp)? Lately I use wtp and find out it's useful but it's pity w/t entity bean support; and am interested in knowing how other people do it through eclipse. (except lomboz and myeclipse)
    I appreciate your help, sincerely.
  29. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Eclipse 3.1 M4+ losed a lot of useful feature, I hope they will be support in the final version.
  30. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Eclipse 3.1 M4+ losed a lot of useful features, I hope they will be support in the final version.
  31. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Isn't it only fair that someone posts a message about Netbeans on an Eclipse thread? ;-)

Peace.
  32. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

Isn't it only fair that someone posts a message about Netbeans on an Eclipse thread? ;-)Peace.

yes, but this is a message about a message about NetBeans, so doesn't count.....
  33. "Open Type" changed :([ Go to top ]

They have chaned the 'Open Type' dialog box. It has some useful new features -- like you can type the camel-case letters and it will find it (TZ will get you TimeZone).

However, they took away a very useful feature. In 3.0, once you selected a class, in the bottom pane, it showed you which archive it was using the file from. This became very helpful when you were dealing with 3rd-party classes, and were not sure where in your classpath it was stored.

Now you have to go back to guessing a jar file, opening it up and seeing if it was in there.
  34. "Open Type" changed :([ Go to top ]

Andrew, you might want to add yourselve to the CC list of the bug report 95643 which discusses this issue.
  35. thats another example where I get the feeling that the lack of new features to invent leads to questionable minor "enhancements" to existing functionality.

Another one that someone probably does consider a real feature is that new little dialog that pops up in the right lower corner when I hit escape once too often (It reminds me of those little "helpers" that you have to get rid of when first using Microsoft Office software).
    This one probably fills a more urgent need - however none that I share. I would appreciate a button to disable it.

christian
  36. Eclipse 3.1 M7 Released[ Go to top ]

How do you stop Eclipse from cleaning the output folder when building. cannot find that option anywhere.
  37. I love the SyncEdit feature of JBuilder, i use eclipse but i still open my jbuilder in some cases only to use that, are there any plans to add this?
  38. Why does eclipse feel it needs to compile the entire project over and over again even though I update the project several times after compiling it externaly? Besides the fact that it takes it 20 minutes to do so, it should know that everything is ok and leave it alone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
  39. Why does eclipse feel it needs to compile the entire project over and over again even though I update the project several times after compiling it externaly? Besides the fact that it takes it 20 minutes to do so, it should know that everything is ok and leave it alone. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not.
    Burek, we fixed several full build related problems lately (see http://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=73969). If you still have the problem with build N20050518, can you please enter a bug report (http://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi) against JDT Core decribing the build you're using, the scenario where you see full builds, and steps to reproduce this problem ? TIA.
  40. Gabriel, yes it does. It is called Local Rename and it exists since version 2.1 ;-). To activate it, position the cursor over the symbol to rename, press Ctrl+1 for quick assist and select Local Rename. With M7 you can even assign a keyboard shortcut to Local Rename. The default is Ctrl+2, R.
  41. The Local Rename its like the refactor rename variable it will change all the references of the variable in the file, in JBuilder you can select a setion of the code and active the sinchoronize edit (Ctrl+Schitf + J) and it alows to rename the Classes or variables or methods in the selected code area, and the changes will only take efect inside the selected code, this also helps a lot for making java templates, i'm thinking making this feature as a plugin for eclipse, but i have never made a plugin for eclipse, im going to read about it, does anyone know with classes of eclipse manage things like the java editor, the selection code and refactoring functinality this will help me a lot.
  42. SyncEdit feature request[ Go to top ]

I fully agree with you.
    I've added SyncEdit feature request to bugs.eclipse.org.
    But in order the feature to be implemented faster, it need as many votes as possible.

To vote:
    1)Go to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=128413 ;
    2)click on "Vote for this bug" there.

About SyncEdit:
    This is NOT the same as "Rename XXX" reafctoring and "Local rename" / "Rename in file" present in Eclipse.
    To learn more about SyncEdit go to https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=128413 and see screenshots / comments there.
  43. since 3.1M6 I am beginning to get worried about a tendency that I last experienced with IDEA, my former favorite IDE. At some point, changes and new "features" would spring up with new releases whose usefulness was questionable at best (to me, that is. I remember the fights over the ever chaging icons). It seems to me that eclipse might be reaching the state where it becomes harder to invent new really revolutionary functions, and thus creativity goes into "improving" the existing ones..

Heres my best examples:

1. the synchronization view already shows all the changes to the code base, filterable according to whether they are incoming, outgoing or conflicting. Now, if after examining the changes, I decide to commit, I am presented with a large dialog that again summarizes the commit operation - showing the exact same information I had been looking at in the syncronization view all the time. Annoying.

2. somebody obviously decided that the "delete all breakpoints" button in the debugger (the one with the 2 Xes) was too close to the "delete selected breakpoint" button. They therefore added a confirmation dialog, a la "do you REALLY want that?". There are many places in the IDE where a "delete all" button is present, and I can think of at least 2 right away where this confirmation is not requested. And in my view, the debugger is the last point where I want to be hindered by dialogs popping up in my face..

of course, all this discussion should go to some eclipse list. I am just not sure which would be the right one.

christian
  44. to be fair, I also have to say that there are recognizable performance improvements under Linux GTK2 (and I did not even find 3.1M6 problematic in terms of performance).
  45. Some of the things people are griping about sound like legitimate usability issues. If you have complaints about something in eclipse, even subjective usability issues, please take the time to open a bug on it: http://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs

Thanks!

Mike Kaufman
    BEA Systems, Inc.
  46. Auto-scrolling navigator[ Go to top ]

Does the new release include an option to disable the feature that automatically scrolls the project navigator to a file when the editor window for that file is selected? Boy that gets on my nerves.
  47. Auto-scrolling navigator[ Go to top ]

Does the new release include an option to disable the feature that automatically scrolls the project navigator to a file when the editor window for that file is selected? Boy that gets on my nerves.

That is been there forever.

In the toolbar for the Navigator View (or Package), there is an icon with two arros, point away from each other. The tooltip for it is 'Link With Editor'.
  48. Link invalid[ Go to top ]

the URL invalid I want to know the new download link
  49. Someone does not read carefully[ Go to top ]

The latest version of eclipse just released is "3.2 RC7" http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/S-3.2RC7-200606021317/index.php "3.1 RC7", is another version released more than a year ago.
  50. Looks like this article was bundled into the ServerSide RSS feed, despite the post being over a year old ! Hence this is old, old news - hence expect invalid URLs, etc... As an eclipse 3.1.2 user, I was a little confused about the release of 3.1M7 - seemed a bit of a backward step :)