Change from Oracle Application Server to JBOSS

Discussions

Performance and scalability: Change from Oracle Application Server to JBOSS

1. Following months of delay and stonewalling from Oracle we are considering replacing OAS with JBOSS. Bugs in RAC and ONS are responsible for an inability to pass the Customer Acceptance Tests.

Oracle are being ridiculously reluctant to confirm a release date for 10.1.3 (where they say many of the bugs are addressed). To facilitate progress on the project we feel we have to change our Application Server.

JBOSS has been suggested and tested (all be it on an incomparable architecture) but before we move further forward, I was hoping to get some further information to fuel due diligence considerations. Not knowing JBOSS myself, any advice or references would be appreciated.
  2. JBoss is crap. You must be joking.
  3. I think that JBoss is a valid alternative but you have to weigh in the need to commercial support. I would make sure to check the support options you have as part of you selection.
  4. Yes, I you're right of course; I was just rather amused to see that the poster thinks he can 'fuel due diligence considerations' by posting a note on a java forum.

Application server selection is a science.
  5. Has anybody switched between app server recently? Are there any figures describing the amount of code (java files + deployment descriptor) that must be ported when you migrate - for example - from weblogic to websphere, or from websphere to jboss ?

I suppose that if in a application there is a lot of entity beans, the migration between one app server and other is never going to be very easy, at least with the current specification of J2EE.

Jose R. Huerga
    http://www.terra.es/personal/jrhuerga
  6. Sun Migrating Tool[ Go to top ]

hey,

yes we have doen soem work on migrating from Weblogic to SUNONE.... Sun has a Migrating tool which does most of the work..( EJB'S.Deployemtn descriptors , etc).But some work as far as i remember was still neeed to be done manually..WEBUI's and soem client side stuff.
  7. I've successfully migrated from oracle to JBoss,
    We went up 17% with performance!!!
    follow the link: http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/03/09/ejb-migration.html
  8. Following months of delay and stonewalling from Oracle we are considering replacing OAS with JBOSS. Bugs in RAC and ONS are responsible for an inability to pass the Customer Acceptance Tests.Oracle are being ridiculously reluctant to confirm a release date for 10.1.3 (where they say many of the bugs are addressed). To facilitate progress on the project we feel we have to change our Application Server.JBOSS has been suggested and tested (all be it on an incomparable architecture) but before we move further forward, I was hoping to get some further information to fuel due diligence considerations. Not knowing JBOSS myself, any advice or references would be appreciated.

You may find useful to install JBOSS in a small two-way machine, and see if you can run smoothly the same EAR files of your application without any changes. If you can run your application in JBOSS as-is, you may consider trying to install JBOSS in the same machines where you have OAS and see what happens. You can use JBOSS until you have available OAS 10.1.13.

Jose R. Huerga
  9. hey,

You cant just run your EAR file of application developed for OAS.. Because you just might have AS dependant files like deployment descriptors, Tag libraries used in your application. Some work might be needed to port ypur applciation onto a differnt AS...My views on JBOSS thogh..it ROCKS.....well so does Oracle AS....

Saurabh
  10. hey,You cant just run your EAR file of application developed for OAS.. Because you just might have AS dependant files like deployment descriptors, Tag libraries used in your application. Some work might be needed to port ypur applciation onto a differnt AS...

Yeah, I still remember the old mantra of SUN ... 'write once, run everywhere'... ;D

It's true: the deployment descriptors are very apps server dependant.

Jose R. Huerga
  11. What Are Your Real Issues?[ Go to top ]

Curtis

I am really concerned to see you are considering switching from OracleAS to JBOSS in what seems to be a reaction to some JDBC failover issues with a RAC database.

Before you leap in to ripping out your infrastructure do you have Oracle TAR numbers you could share with me and I'll have a look at them to see if I can give you a steer or I'll speak with the support engineers to see if we can get them resolved whatever they are.

One other thing that would be useful to know is which components of OracleAS are you using? Is it purely an Apache / OC4J combination? Is it also a stateful middle-tier failover or just a JDBC layer RAC database failover problem?

Finally does everything else work on OC4J apart from the JDBC driver or is something else causing your concern and your plan to migrate?
  12. SUN app server 8[ Go to top ]

You can also consider FREE SUN app server 8 Platform Edition (J2EE 1.4). The best price/performance ratio on the market.

Check documentation on docs.sun.com. You can find the migration guide.

DF
  13. What Are Your Real Issues?[ Go to top ]

Curtis,

Did you resolve your issues with Oracle AS?
    I didn't see a reply to David's question..

-Chris