Discussions

General J2EE: Flashing icon in a web app ?

1. Flashing icon in a web app ? (10 messages)

Can we do this for a web app in websphere ?
    our current client/server app has a flashing
    icon which flashes when a new message arrives.

This icon exists in the tool bar and its there

when we first login to the app. Now the same feature needs to be put in a web based app. when a

new message arrives, the icon should flash. How can this be done ?

Thanks

Threaded Messages (10)

2. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

Some ideas:

Write an applet to listen for events over RMI?

Setup the pages to automatically reload (and thus re-check for a message) at a given interval?
  3. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

Let me be more specific please.

I am talking about an icon which should appear on the windows tool bar. It should be at the same place where the LAN icon appears [when we login to LAN, the 2 computer icon appears at the windows tool bar, right?. My icon should be displayed on WINDOWS TOOL BAR.

Is it possible ?
  4. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

More clear:

This icon should exist on systray..
  5. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

The browser has no access to the system tray. The best you could do here would be to write some software that the end-user would install, and you would have to distribute the install file through your webapp. It really wouldn't be part of the webapp, in this case, though (although it could access your webapp's backend, possibly).

But to further the question, what happens if your application is being used on a Mac, or linux? Or if Microsoft gets rid of the system tray in Longhorn or a later version of windows? If you wrote the systray piece as an ActiveX control, what happens if I run your application in FireFox/Mozilla/Netscape/etc?

What I'm getting at is that doing something like this ruins most of the advantage of the web app to be write-once, distribute anywhere... For that matter, a java application (thick-client or standalone application) that depends on the system tray or any other OS-specific feature (as a requirement) would lose Java's advantage of write-once run anywhere.

But (*gets off soapbox*) if you must do this as a webapp, I think the best you can hope for is displaying something int the browser itself -- either on the webpage, or in some part of the browser chrome (titlebar? statusbar?) I don't think you're going to be able to get it in the systray without creating an installable component of some sort.
  6. Well, of course you'd loose some if not most of the advantages of a web app, but if centralized deployment/update is the only advantage you need and can make sure that all clients are windows machines... then such a feature definitely adds comfort to the clients.

I've done systray icons with java a few years ago but had to use Visual J++ from Microsoft (which is discontinued, AFAIK) and the special Microsoft VM in order to use the win32 features. Anyway, maybe you find another library that does the systray handling (i remember having heard something about a movement towards stronger desktop integration - you have such info areas on virtually all systems: systray on windows, notification area on linux aka Gnome/KDE, dock on MacOS X, ...), you'd have to write an applet and sign it so that it can request accessing functions outside of the browser VM's sandbox.

HTH,
    Thomas
  7. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

Aaron,

As answers to your questions :

The browser has no access to the system tray. The best you could do here would be to write some software that the end-user would install, and you would have to distribute the install file through your webapp. It really wouldn't be part of the webapp, in this case, though (although it could access your webapp's backend, possibly). [

Regarding this : right now our app is a client/server based app. The only reason why our clients want the application to be converted to web - based is they donot want to install anything on their machines. In that case, how can we aga

Now, currently all our users use Windows machines. Thats the standard in our company.
    So writing an activeX control would be possible. Can I do that ?

Thanks,
  8. Flashing icon in a web app ?[ Go to top ]

Thomas, as a reply to you..

Well, of course you'd loose some if not most of the advantages of a web app, but if centralized deployment/update is the only advantage you need and can make sure that all clients are windows machines... then such a feature definitely adds comfort to the clients. [yes, all clients use windows machines, and the advantage as u said is centralized deployment/update].

I've done systray icons with java a few years ago but had to use Visual J++ from Microsoft (which is discontinued, AFAIK) and the special Microsoft VM in order to use the win32 features. Anyway, maybe you find another library that does the systray handling (i remember having heard something about a movement towards stronger desktop integration - you have such info areas on virtually all systems: systray on windows, notification area on linux aka Gnome/KDE, dock on MacOS X, ...), you'd have to write an applet and sign it so that it can request accessing functions outside of the browser VM's sandbox. -

I heard about JDIC from Java. Can I use it ?
    Based on ur experience, can u give me some more information ?
    My email is maya_java at yahoo dot com

Thanks
  9. You would also like to see at Ashynchronous Javascript and XML.

You can then place that icon on a DHTML window or even on the same page using a iframe and only making the iframe visible whenever there is any messages.
  10. Hi,

Can you elaborate please ?
    Any examples will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
  11. You would also like to see at Ashynchronous Javascript and XML. You can then place that icon on a DHTML window or even on the same page using a iframe and only making the iframe visible whenever there is any messages.

But this would not, of course, achieve the effect of placing the icon in the systray.

While I haven't had any experience with the JDIC stuff, it's probably your best bet if your back-end is a Java backend (especially if it is J2EE). Other options may be to have your back-end expose whatever information is necessary as a web-service, and have your desktop component check the web service periodically. I don't really have any experience in this area, but theoretically, exposing the information as a web service would free you up to implement your systray component in whatever language/technology you want (assuming it can access a web service, of course)