Replace Indexing With Iteration

Discussions

J2EE patterns: Replace Indexing With Iteration

1. Replace Indexing With Iteration (8 messages)

You are iterating over a collection or array in a ugly old manner.

Replace the iteration code with a for-each loop.

Replace this:

void process(Collection<Process> processes) {
         for (Iterator<Process> p = processes.iterator(); processes.hasNext();) {
             processes.next().process();
         }
     }

With this:

void process(Collection<Process> processes) {
         for (Process p : processes) {
             p.process();
         }
     }

Motivation

Iterating over a collection with a traditional for loop is just clutter and prone to introduce errors. If you look carefully at the code, the iterator variable occurs three times in each loop, so you have two chances to get it wrong. Furthermore, the code using the traditional for loop is bigger than it needs to be. Length increase complexity, and complexity makes the code harder to read and understand.

You can make your intention clearer by replacing the for loop with a for-each loop. The for-each construct gets rid of the clutter and the opportunity for error. After the refactoring, the code will be more readable and less prone to host bugs.

Mechanics

Check that you are using the iterator or index variable only to access the elements in the collection or array.
    The for-each loop hides the iterator or index variable while the iteration takes place, so you cannot use these variables to anything else.
    Replace the for loop construct with a for-each loop construct.
    Compile and test.

Example: Using collections

I start with a simple and fictitious populate method:

void populate(Collection<Row> rows, Collection<Column> columns) {
          for (Iterator<Row> r = rows.iterator(); r.hasNext(); ) {
               Row row = r.next();
               for (Iterator<Column> c = columns.iterator(); c.hasNext(); ) {
    Column column = c.next();
      matrix.add(new Position(row, column));
               }
          }
     }

The ugly method above has the intention of populate a matrix object with a collection of rows and columns. The iterator variables in both collections are used only to get access to the next element in the chain, so I feel secure to make the refactoring one loop at a time. I start with the inner one:

void populate(Collection<Row> rows, Collection<Column> columns) {
         for (Iterator<Row> r = rows.iterator(); r.hasNext(); ) {
             Row row = r.next();
             for (Column column : columns) {
             }
         }
     }

At this point, I compile and test and things should work. Now, I will refactor the outer loop:

void populate(Collection<Row> rows, Collection<Column> columns)
         for (Row row : rows) {
             for (Column column : columns) {
             }
         }
     }

I compile and test again and, if no problem occurs, the work has finished. As a final point, make a comparison between both methods, before and after refactoring and you will be much more comfortable.

Example: Using arrays

Suppose you have a method that computes the total amount stored in a price array:

double totalAmount(double[] prices) {
         double total = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < prices.length; i++) {
             total += prices[i];
         }

return total;
     }

Once the for loop temporal index variable (i) is used only to get access to the price elements, we can refactor the for loop to get the following:

double totalAmount(double[] prices) {
         double total = 0;

for (double price : prices) {
             total += price;
         }

return total;
     }

I compile, test and enjoy the resultant code.

Acknowledgments:

Thanks to J. B. Rainsberger (Diaspar Software Services) for the names of these refactorings.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Refactoring?[ Go to top ]

The NEW enhanced for loop is syntactical sugar aimed at simplifying code needed for the most common loops. Not using it when it doesn't suffice doesn't really qualify as a refactoring.
  3. wrong thread[ Go to top ]

The above comment should go on the other thread.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how using a new language feature qualifies as a design pattern.
  4. Not just a new feature[ Go to top ]

The aim for this refactoring is not just that the for-each loop is a new language feature in Tiger. The sample is in Java but it can be done in any other language.

The aim is to simplifying the loops.
  5. Not all languages have this syntax.

Regardless, it still doesn't qualify as a design pattern.
  6. Agreed[ Go to top ]

You're right. Design patterns are more specific to structural abstractions rather than naming specific language parser mechanism.
    Nothing can be more of a syntatic sugar than this is.
  7. Agreed[ Go to top ]

+1

Same as:
    http://www.theserverside.com/patterns/thread.tss?thread_id=34115#191457
  8. for (double price : prices) {} giving error as Syntax error on token ":", ";" expected.

I am using j2sdk1.4.1_01 at present. Which version will be supported by FOR each loop.

reg,
    HAM
  9. Replace Indexing With Iteration[ Go to top ]

for (double price : prices) {} giving error as Syntax error on token ":", ";" expected.I am using j2sdk1.4.1_01 at present. Which version will be supported by FOR each loop.reg,HAM

JDK 1.5 and greater.