Discussions

News: TheServerSide.com turns 5

1. TheServerSide.com turns 5 (28 messages)

TheServerSide.com turned 5 this past May, having launched in May, 2000. It has been an awesome time, and we at TheServerSide are grateful to have been able to create a place that has kept the Java community informed, in-touch with each other, and empowered to contribute to Java's evolution.

Thanks everyone, and Happy Birthday TSS! We look forward to a bright and dynamic future, as we continue to add more and better content.

Floyd Marinescu
    Founder & Editorial Director, TheServerSide.com

Threaded Messages (28)

2. Congratulations, Floyd, Nitin, and the team.

You have been an "essential" resource from Day 1. And you have done a great work in maintaining or even elevating the standards set initially for this web site.

Your initiatives such as JIA (Java In Action) should go a long way too. We look forward to the event in October.
  3. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congrats to TSS and its team! I've been following TSS since its first launch in 2000 and TSS is always playing a very important role for Enterprise Java topics, keep up the good work, folks!

Cheers,
    Lofi.
    EJOSA - OpenUSS
  4. Floyd, Dion, Nitin, and the many contributors: Congratulations on a job well done. TSS is to me the most valuable resource on the Internet to understand Java technologies from a developer's perspective. I find the database of articles helps me regularly and the discussion helps me cut through the marketing crap to get to answers I need to succeed. And it's all free.

Well done!

-Frank
  5. Thanks everyone! Let's not forget Joe Ottinger, who joined TSS a few months ago as it's primary Editor and has been doing a great job making our news more indepth. The site could also not function without Nuno Teixeira who is our assistant editor and gets content up on a timely and regular basis.

In other news about our team, Dion has moved on from bring TSS Editor in Feburary to focus on his own consultancy, Adigio, but still remains a close friend of TSS and will be speaking at JIA.

Nitin Bharti has also moved on to be the site Editor for SearchWebServices.com, which is part of a group within TechTarget made up of SearchWebServices and TheServerSide Communities.

Another major change include myself refocusing my role as Editorial Director (instead of both that plus the advertising/business stuff) since we were bought by TechTarget, which means that I've been spending more time writing news and working on articles again.

Floyd
  6. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Long live TSS!
  7. Congratulations!!![ Go to top ]

I still remember the first few weeks at the start of my professional career in 2000, where I stumbled upon The ServerSide, and I have been hooked ever since.<br>
    Great work team, keep it up!

- Vinay Salehithal
  8. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congratutaions on providing a successful resource that is now a recognized authority on what is going on the Java, J2EE and XML worlds. Here's to future sucesses in the next five years!

-Jonathan

B: http://blogs.datadirect.com/jonathana
  9. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congrats!
  10. Message ID 6[ Go to top ]

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=6

So the first Message you got right was at the sixth attempt.

what happened to the first 5.
  11. Message ID 6[ Go to top ]

Hacker. :) I think the first 6 were just test messages we then deleted.

Floyd
  12. Message ID 6[ Go to top ]

The first message was about Java. Messages 2-6 were from Rolf. They all got deleted. (j/k) ;-)

Congrats, Floyd and team.

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  13. Message ID 6[ Go to top ]

The first message was about Java. Messages 2-6 were from Rolf. They all got deleted. (j/k) ;-)

LOL :) You always find a way of cracking me up :)

Congrats to TSS, A great resource indeed.
  14. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Wow--is it really that long?? Congratulations, and long may your success last.

Hard to remember there being no TSS. Still, back then there was no decent refactoring support either... And many of the application servers on the market barely worked... No Struts or other widely used open source frameworks...

We've come a long way, and it's nearly all been for the better. And just as well, or I suspect we mightn't be doing so much server-side Java any more.

Rod Johnson
    Interface21 - Spring from the Source
  15. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congratulations!

Perhaps this is the time to implement that the page anchors in threads remembers the location when i revisit a thread.
    Sometimes its difficult to remember what the last post i read was.
  16. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

That dident come out right :) The site should remember how many number of posts i last read and jump to that posts page anchor when i revisit the thread.
  17. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815205450/theserverside.com/home/index.jsp

http://web.archive.org/web/20031230103917/http://www103.theserverside.com/

;)
  18. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congratulatgions to all of you who have slogged to make this happen.
    It's really an invaluable resource for latest happenings, technology know-how etc.
  19. Happy Birthday!![ Go to top ]

Happy Birthday TSS. You are a great resource.
  20. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

Congratulatgions to all of you . All the best .
  21. TheServerSide.com turns 5[ Go to top ]

This is a great site. On it, I've found out about

Intellij Idea
    Hibernate
    Spring
    JDO
    DisplayTag
    XStream

and many, many more tools that have made my programming life easier and more interesting.

This site is a must read.
  22. Congrats. Keep up the good work.[ Go to top ]

Congrats. Keep up the good work.
  23. Congradulations[ Go to top ]

This site has been my primary source of information on J2EE. I have been reading on TheServerSide since 2001. And there are so many in depth discussions and it just opened my mind.

A job trulely well done.

On the other hand, I have noticed that the news and discussions posted recently have reduced dramatically. Wondering why ? It used to be that if I don't visit the serverside for 1-2 days, I have to skip some news as there are so many interesting news and articles or discussions to read; now if I come back from a vocation after a week, I still do not miss much.

I hope TSS keep up your great work, so I don't need to jump to several sites to find my information.

Chester
  24. slower news?[ Go to top ]

On the other hand, I have noticed that the news and discussions posted recently have reduced dramatically. Wondering why ? It used to be that if I don't visit the serverside for 1-2 days, I have to skip some news as there are so many interesting news and articles or discussions to read; now if I come back from a vocation after a week, I still do not miss much.

Hi Chester, I'm not sure why this is the case. We actually have more news (and more indepth news) than we used to have in the past. One point to get is that TSS is a community portal, and the news you see on the homepage is a reflection of what's going on in the community. There are times when less is going on in the community so there are thus less news items on TSS.

One of the things we seek to do with TSS news is only to report on important things, so sometimes that means we sacrifice quantity for quality. For example, we don't announce every point release of a product, or partnership news, etc...

Floyd
  25. Congratulations to the birthday! It will be interesting to see what direction TSS will take in the future. And thanks for not banning me! (I am sure that it has been a close call some times).

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  26. Rolf, we'd only ban those who were effective in their evil and wrong opinions...

Just kidding! My personal policy is never to ban anyone unless it's an extreme case. :)
  27. Not effective? I's like to think that I single-handed have pushed the J2EE community towards simpler/KISS solutions and to be more realistic with Microsoft.

But who knows? My Jack Russel dog also at all times pull the leash and think that if he doesn't do that nobody will not get anywhere.

Whatever the reason Java/J2EE practice has changed enormously in just a couple of years. To the better IMO!

Regards
    Rolf Tollerud
  28. slower news?[ Go to top ]

Well said, Floyd. You both are right, Floyd and Chester Chen.

Gone are the days when we used to sit back, enjoy coffee and donut in the morning, glance over the titles at TSS.COM, and get excited after reading a news section or two. Then, we will mention that news section during the lunch break to our colleagues, and try to impress them. Gone are those days!

I won't say, J2EE has matured (no technology can claim that about itself -- otherwise, innovation stops), but look at the new members that join TSS currently. New memberships might have slowed down. All what this means is that - it shouldn't only be TSS who will do the hard work. Now that you know J2EE to a certain extent, motivate yourself, jump in, learn from the news and articles, study, and contribute. It'a growing phase (for everyone). You both are right. Gone is the childhood, enter teens. The thoughts of hosting a JIA imply similar. It's great.
  29. Congrats!

You guys are amazing. And doing a wonderful service to the ServerSide community.