Unable to logout using FacesContext

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Unable to logout using FacesContext

1. Unable to logout using FacesContext (3 messages)

I am working on Rational Application Developer which uses WAS 6.0. We are using JSF. Our application is using server side security. I am an absolute newbie to JSF technology. My problem is, I am not able make the Logout link work. I have created a simple Logout servlet which tries to invalidate the session and redirect the user to login page. For invalidating the session first I have tried using

HttpSession session = request.getSession();

Which obviously didn't worked.

Then I have tried

FacesContext context = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance();

HttpSession session = (HttpSession) context.getExternalContext().getSession(false);

Which, also didn't worked. As the FacesContext.getCurrentInstance(); is returning null. I am clueless about it. Why this is not working. Can anybody help me out in sorting this problem. A timely help is always appreciated.
  2. Where are you calling the code that gets to the faces context?
  3. Hi,

I have written a Logout servlet where I am trying to use faces context in order to invalidate the session. Although I am able to make the logout functionality work using the standard WAS logout servlet. But the original problem is still there. But it's not hampering my progress.

4. You cannot get(/use) FacesContext inside another servlet

Try use for logout jsf facilities (jsp-jsf views & managed beans) of create some kind of Filter or Listener that can actually interact with FacesServlet.

Or may be you just need learn bit more about technologies you are using