Penrose 0.9 Released - Open Source Virtual Directory Engine

Discussions

News: Penrose 0.9 Released - Open Source Virtual Directory Engine

1. Penrose is a virtual directory server based on Apache Directory project. A Virtual Directory does not store any information itself, unlike other LDAP implementations. Requests received from LDAP client applications are processed by Penrose and passed on to the data source hosting the desired data. Penrose currently supports Active Directory, LDAP and JDBC back-end.

• Join Engine allows object transformation via BeanShell scripting (JSR 274).
    • Remote management via JMX (JSR 160)
    • Include Mapping Tool based on Eclipse 3.0 platform
    • Leverages Apache Directory Server as a protocol stack
    • Direct browsing of LDAP and RDBMS-based information to provide easy-to-use mapping.
    • Live preview of your virtual directory.
    Our primary vision is to build an enterprise directory middleware platform. With the proliferation of directory services on the enterprise, we see a significant directory integration problem. Penrose is looking to solve this problem by integrating these data stores without having to physically migrate the data.

Penrose 0.9 is available for download.
  2. LDAP aggregation[ Go to top ]

So is this "ready" to produce a proxy/facade LDAP that looks like a single tree but contains branches from multiple, disparate LDAPs?

Also, I see a Windows server executable and mappers for other platforms, am I wrong in assuming that the server runs on many UNIX platforms?
  3. LDAP aggregation[ Go to top ]

Penrose is an enhanced version of Apache Directory Server with a specialized backend partition. All is written in pure Java and can run on any platform. The mapping tool on the other hand is based on Eclipse RCP so it's availability is based on what platforms it has been compiled for. Feasibly you can run the mapping tool on any of the available platforms and deploy to any platform even if the mapping tool is not supported for it.
  4. Whats the relation of this with apacheds? I see alex is a committer. Just glancing at the website this looks VERY impressive.

marc
  5. wow, just run the MySQL sample and i'm impressed how easy it was to get up and running. its not as quick as a pure LDAP server, as you'd expect, but it would definitely open an easy conversion path from home-brew authenication using a database to an LDAP implementation.

the road-map seems a bit strange tho, it seems to focus on adding non-core features like rpm installers and load-balancing rather than focussing on producing a very robust engine. can i read into that and assume that you think the engine itself is pretty much ready for the big-time?