OpenXava 1.1 released: WebSphere Apps without WebSphere Studio

Discussions

News: OpenXava 1.1 released: WebSphere Apps without WebSphere Studio

1. Gestión 400 is pleased to announce OpenXava 1.1 for download. OpenXava is a framework to develop J2EE applications with XML and Java easily. This release supports IBM WebSphere Application Server, hence it's an open source alternative to IBM WebSphere Studio or Rational Application Developer.

OpenXava allows developers to use JBoss during development, then deploy to WebSphere for production by preparing the deployable with an Ant task.

A complete reference guide is available as a PDF.

Others OpenXava 1.1 features are:
    • Supports WebSphere 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0, JBoss 3.2.x and 4.0.x including native EJB CMP2 EntityBeans.
    • Licensed under LGPL
    • Has been used during years to develop real applications.
    • It's focused on easy to use and on obtaining a very high productivity.
    • The developers prioritize a short learning curve.
    • Flexible: It's possible to insert your own functionality in every place.
    • Based in the concept of business component.
    • Totally MVC.
    • Web user interface with rich features like sophisticated business applications.
    • Adapted to work with legacy database schemas.
    • Generate a full J2EE application (including EJB).
    • Leverages open source tools such as Ant, JUnit, JasperReports, TL, XDoclet, Hibernate
    • The developer can use English or Spanish.
    • All labels and messages are in English, Spanish and Catalan, with more coming
    What do you think of this product?

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Yet another wannabe... :([ Go to top ]

Another wannabe everything-for-everyone MVC framework.
    5 years ago it probably could impress someone
    Anno 2005 it can't anymore, with Spring, Hibernate, Tapestry and Java 5 Annotations around.

I could imagine taking it and tweaking to cater for specific development process... but alas it is LGPL, in short that means you couldn't tweak the framework itself in commercial environment without publishing it back.
  3. Yet another wannabe... :([ Go to top ]

It's true,
    now, in 2005 the things are more easy that in 1999.
    Hibernate and Spring are far good than EJB. True, true.

But, developing a business application with Spring plus
    Hibernate is not productive yet, specially if you compare it
    with RPG, 4GL, etc.
    You still need to draw the user interface, and code you control logic... even for repetitive task.

OpenXava allows you develop rapidly a business application (a accounting, warehouse management, etc) using J2EE technology.

But the better way of test something is taste it.
    You can download OpenXava, follow its tutorial, and then
    develop the same application with Spring, Hibernate, Trapestry; and then tell me something.
  4. Finally an easy to use, flexible MVC framework. You would of thought someone would have come out with one by now ;)
  5. Open Source and with support to deploy in WebSphere and JBoss the same EJB code (with Native EntityBeans support)?

Anyways, OpenXava is used since 2001 to develop applications
    (although is open source since 2005).
  6. License[ Go to top ]

Can I ask, whats the attraction of LGPL, why didn't you choose the Apache license?

Billy
  7. License[ Go to top ]

Everybody can develop comercial and free applications using OpenXava, but not develop a comercial version of OpenXava.

We want that OpenXava (and derivatives) will be open source for ever,
    and that nobody will make money on work of developers
    of OpenXava (by selling it). I think that this can attract developers, and it can asures that improvements to OpenXava come back to the original project.

I'm programmer, I want more power for programmers, less power for enterprises (specially large enterprises), and I think that a LGPL lincese go in this line.

But, if you want to develop a comercial development environment that USES OpenXava, you can do it. The LGPL
    do not forbid that, you can package comercial and LGPL code together, although you final product is a library itself.

But, you will never be able to sell OpenXava itself.

Do you think that another license for OpenXava had server better to the programmers community?
    Why?
  8. License[ Go to top ]

IMO many people just react towards the (L)GPL because its the thing to say nowadays. I think the LGPL is perfect in most cases, and there are indeed good arguments for keeping something completely open as opposed to allowing commercial remarketing.

christian